End-address condenser mic... thoughts?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been thinking about end-address condensers lately. I have the Earthworks SV33, which I really like. It has a small 16mm electret capsule and that seems to work quite well. My question is whether or not you could build an end-address condenser with a 34mm LDC capsule? Or, as I'm guessing, would it be problematic because the back of the capsule would face into the body of the microphone, probably not far off the capsule deck? For sake of argument, I'm picturing a body similar to say, an RE20.
So, with end-address condensers, is an electret capsule the only solution?
Found this thread while researching Earthwork's mics, I am very curious in particular about how the Earthworks design of their more recent mics work (the ethos/icon). They both seem to use small diaphragm condensers (the ethos is a 14mm supercardiod electret). The Ethos seems to use an SM7B style grill design. That top would be difficult to simulate but I wonder if an SM7B clone body from ali coupled with an electret, some mesh and a tube design (3DP?) might get half of the way there.

I know broadcast mics like this are a bit of a pain to create and probably not worth it vs. a U87ai clone but I am very much interested in exploring something like this.

ethos icon 2.pngethos icon .png

Found this thread while researching Earthwork's mics, I am very curious in particular about how the Earthworks design of their more recent mics work (the ethos/icon). They both seem to use small diaphragm condensers (the ethos is a 14mm supercardiod electret). The Ethos seems to use an SM7B style grill design. That top would be difficult to simulate but I wonder if an SM7B clone body from ali coupled with an electret, some mesh and a tube design (3DP?) might get half of the way there.

I know broadcast mics like this are a bit of a pain to create and probably not worth it vs. a U87ai clone but I am very much interested in exploring something like this.

View attachment 135835View attachment 135834
I made something similar with T.Bone BC500.

Those vents on Earthworks mics are carefully engineered. Whatever capsule you decide to use i would go with transparent mesh behind the capsule, like i did in this example to avoid disturbances in FR and pattern response.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240830_211341_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240830_211341_Gallery.jpg
    850 KB · Views: 1
I made something similar with T.Bone BC500.

Those vents on Earthworks mics are carefully engineered. Whatever capsule you decide to use i would go with transparent mesh behind the capsule, like i did in this example to avoid disturbances in FR and pattern response.
Interesting! Nice work Korg. How did it sound?

Yeah I imagine that it's no small task (Earthworks is very well designed). So you place your capsule at the end and have a transparent mesh behind. I wonder how one of the 14mm JLI Electrets would perfom in this case.

Interesting! Nice work Korg. How did it sound?

Yeah I imagine that it's no small task (Earthworks is very well designed). So you place your capsule at the end and have a transparent mesh behind. I wonder how one of the 14mm JLI Electrets would perfom in this case.
Sounds like intended. I have the luxury of tweaking both circuit and capsule, also measuring the result to confirm if i'm on the right path. I attenuated the high end peak a bit to get in the ballpark as sm7b, only more HiFi with extended both low and high end.

Sure, you can try those capsules, for darker sounding variant with built in FET maybe something like Primo EM200 or EM204. It comes down to taste. Bulky body behind the capsule helps a lot with the rejection, but it is crucial not to have much going on in close proximity behind the capsule to avoid resonances and reflections.

You can try 3dp something like this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3085428

Also take care, whatever is holding the capsule shouldn't have resonance, so then you hit the holder with capsule attached, it doesn't vibrate at some frequency.

I once worked on two Lomo 19a19s one was amazing sounding the other one was nice
I came here to say Lomo also.

Even if OP doesn’t want to buy, that’s a very good sounding mic and worth a look for inspiration. Iirc that capsule is edge terminated, but it’s been a year or two since i’ve had one on the bench.

You can try 3dp something like this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3085428
I created and posted the 3dp files for that design some 6 years ago --- For those who'd rather just buy the same thing, and not print it themselves, it's available from Shapeways. See here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/EFE6MUJYM/34mm-ldc-mic-bracket?optionId=123657963

I've built several mics into BM800 bodies using that mount. Works very well -- and the rejection for cardioid is really quite good with that body (There's pretty open rear access to the capsule with that big headbasket!)
I've had no problems with resonance... and there are slots in the base, to alow for rubber grommets to be fitted. Helps with the isolation from the mic body.

These images give some idea of the mechanics involved....

C6.jpgcapmnted.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back