EV V-2A ribbon conversion

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandocaster

I have one of the notorious V-2As with the ribbon replaced by a funky dynamic capsule that sounds very bad to me. The frame looks the same as the one used for the ribbon.
There's not much to it. Besides the switch, the only other component that I can see is the transformer. I would like to convert it back to a nice ribbon. Anyone know if an RCA 44 type motor will fit? Thoughts? TIA
IMG_1280.jpegIMG_1282.jpegIMG_1286.jpegIMG_1285.jpegIMG_1280.jpegIMG_1282.jpegIMG_1286.jpegIMG_1285.jpeg

Interesting, I wasn't aware that they made a version with a dynamic capsule!

I found one of these (ribbon version) years ago, cosmetically good but the ribbon was shot and the magnets were weak. I brought it to Jon at Shinybox and he put one of his motors and transformers in it, a tight fit but he turned it into a nice microphone. He wasn't too impressed with the original design and workmanship.

I don't know of anyone who makes a '44 type' motor other than AEA, but it's nearly twice the size of the EV with the magnets and all. You might be better off looking at DIY kit makers like Bumblebee for a smaller motor.
Have fun.

Latest posts

Back