EZ1084EQ NEW BATCH COMING - SEE MY MARCH 27 COMMENT ON PAGE 38

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanted to chime in a say that owning a couple vintage 1073, and having used vintage 1084s, I prefer the 1084s. Much more flexible.

Also, I had always been under the impression that a 1272 converted to a mic pre is not the same thing as the 1073 mic pre. Is that not correct?

Doc, if you have a 2074, cool, but the ones i've seen and the pic i have of the 2074 have no gain control on the front.

i'd guess Geoff Tanner has a schematic for a 2074 somewhere.

[quote author="drpat"]Yes, the 2074 and 2076 were both 1073 "eq only" modules, with the difference being the 2076 has extra gain added... 2074 doesn't. Both have gain controls. I've seen the 2076 modules mostly in aux send sections of the console.

I love my 2074s way more than my 1073s because I can run any mic pre through the front end of it while I'm tracking, it doesn't just have to be limited to a Neve pre... It also imparts the extra two Neve transformers into the sound if you do decide to use it with a 1272/1290 in front.

Good luck finding a schematic for the 2074, I've been searching for a while now.[/quote]

Just remembered this project of mine......

http://1176neve.tripod.com/id7.html

It says 1081 but I think the schematic was a 1084, it was in the days before I knew much about the Neve stuff. I cant recall much of what I left out or put in either...

Unbal in & out, works a treat. Even without the transformer coupling, it has a definite Neve character to it. I dont have the PCB design any longer, but it was a big mother. I still have the box at wotk, will dig it out for some detailed shots.

Peter

[quote author="drpat"]After that, the 1073 uses the BA283 and BA184 to split the load, while the 1272 continues to use the BA283 only.[/quote]

I think that is correct.

I just converted some 2074's to 1073's for a friend, & I have all the docs. The only difference between the two is the 1073 has gain control (via 23 pos 4 wafer switch) and a mic pre section, the 283 card is filled out for the gain. The 2074 is fixed gain. The front panel trim pot behind the plug on the panel is a fader just before the final output stage, not a gain control (they both have the pins to use the console fader, usually jumpered & easily run to an output level control pot). If you have a 1073 and want to use another mic pre w/ it's Eq, just go line in. Pretty much exactly the same as a 2074..... build the 1073 version and get a great mic pre, too, as you are most of the way there allready!

nielsk,

Could you make the docs on the 2074 available?

Omiting the line in part of the sensitivity switch may prove to be the way to go.

Thanks

jim

I am ashamed to say that I do not have it together to post the doc's, but I will scan them and email that to someone who can, send me a PM with contact info....

nielsk - Thanks again for sending the DWG.

It clarifies a lot for me. I'm going to scan the DWG and make a new one with the added LP section etc. Essentially turning it into a 2084.

I'm still a bit confused about the Presence circuit though.

On the 1084 faceplate and the DWG the switch is a 7 position (including OFF).
On the BA211/A there is an 8th position going to U terminal for 10K.

I can include it no problem, its only 1 more click and 1 cap. But I am curious as to why there are conflicts with the DWG? Anyone have any ideas.

If you have it check the 1073_1084_User_Guide.pdf for details.

Thanks

jim

Going fine. I just finished the layout except for the ground plane. After a check it shoudl be ready for prototype stage.

Sorry for taking so long but life gets in the way (as well as other DIY!). Hang in there. Its going to be well worth it.

Jim

Layout done.
1084EQ.jpg

Knarleybass said:
man, I swore I would not take on any new projects, but now this comes along.

Happens to me all year long too! Sometimes I curse the day I found this place. ;)

Jim

Bluzzi said:
Knarleybass said:
man, I swore I would not take on any new projects, but now this comes along.

Happens to me all year long too! Sometimes I curse the day I found this place. ;)

Jim

Don't take this the wrong way but I love the project and layout looks great, hate that it's another project to add to the list.. Speaking of which need to get off my arse and go finish some more of them :)

BTW I'll take 2 and a order of switches and Iron to complete it

Back