Fairchild 627 from scratch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the final frequency response of my 627 with all controls flat.

It is flat within 25 to 25kHz plus/minus 1dB

This may well be my last "From Scratch Project" although I hope to be testing some less common tubes in the coming months.

All the best
DaveP

Hello to you all.

I am Ian, and a music producer and mixer. Over the years, I have been very grateful for Dave’s boxes he has built me, as I use many of them each week with all the recording , producing and mixing that goes on here.

Recently , as he was passing here, Dave dropped off the 627 EQ here. Its a great EQ !

I had only heard a plugin ( by Acustica ) of this EQ. And I was particularly impressed by the plugins airy high end and so I wrote to Dave and within a few weeks, he wrote back and said he could in time build one.

So I didnt have that much clue what it was going to sound like.

How does it sound?
Quick answer - is that when you record through it, it makes the audio sound smooth and larger than life ( 3D ).
I have to be honest, I was blown away by its sound. its way more 'alive' and chunky sounding than the plugin.
And this 627 has allot of tube sound, it has an airy high end , a fat low end, and it adds a certain dimensionality to the sound you record through it.
The audio sonic character is smooth and classy !!

Then if you push it, it has a lovely distortion, which doesnt break up for a while.
So its a great (slightly distorted) tone to have!

Then there is the look (picture and video below) - it looks just great ! and then there is ‘magic eye’ lighting up on the front of the unit, which is rather cool !!
And it acts as a rough meter for the input.

I am sooo pleased with it and have already been using it here on tracks I am producing.

Dave has made I think my studio really sound unique , with all the units he had made me, from his LA2D, to the Collins stereo compressor, to the RCA OP-6 mic pre, to the Pendrill designed 241-76 mic pre’s which sound utterly gorgeous, then there the RCA 96a compressor which I use every day, normally then using his UE 100 tube EQ following the 241-76 and the 96a compressor to add that final bit of class - and now I have the 627 EQ to add into the mix !!!

Thanks Dave.

Ian
www.ianbarter.com

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 09.57.39.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 09.57.39.png
    989.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0806.mov
    10.1 MB
Last edited:
Great thread, and all way beyond my skill set. Im a turner and guitar builder not a skilled circuit man

Latest posts

Back