Fame pro series VT 67 mic ..... any experience with this

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

http://www.dv247.com/microphones/fame-pro-series-vt-67-tube-microphone--200806

Maybe interesting ......

I would guess its Apex 460 C12 ish circuit maybe plate out because LL1935 is a 10:1 transformer like T14/1 prob a K67 ish capsule..... Am very interested would like to know for sure ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7xkaDTtz_A

Sadly I dont speak german ...

SYT 51 on the board

Looking at video l count 11 capacitors & 7 resistors might be couple more components on the top board....... now which circuit has that component count

10:1 transformer ..... my guess is C12 ish circuit ....

From what I've been told, Music Store bought DV247.

The Fame mic is noticeably larger than a genuine U87; the capsule is also larger. The circuit is pretty much the Apex (plate out + cathode follower) with some upgraded components.

Hi Rossi I read the Lundal tran is 10:1 so would it be plate out no cathode follower .....

Well, the usual transformer for this circuit is something like 11:1, if I remember correctly.

I had a look inside a VT 67, and if I'm not completely mistaken, it retains the cathode follower. All pins of the tube were connected, and the two triodes were not parallel wired.

Rossi said:
Well, the usual transformer for this circuit is something like 11:1, if I remember correctly.

I had a look inside a VT 67, and if I'm not completely mistaken, it retains the cathode follower. All pins of the tube were connected, and the two triodes were not parallel wired.

http://www.shuaiy.com/LATEST/html/?22.html

...ShuaiYin SYT-5 with Lundahl (SYT-5B denotes shorter body version)...I'm pretty sure it's the same CCDA circuit that Dave Thomas originally modded (based on the Apex 460/Nady 1050) for use in all his Advanced Audio tube mics, except he removes C9 and C10 and uses the chinese tranny...definately retains the cathode-follower circuit...same 35mm 6-micron capsule Chunger sells in his web store...

Says SYT 51 on the board ...........is 51 different to STY5/B .....

So this thing has nothing in common with U67 .... only crill shape ......Is the chunger style capsule any good ........

Interesting that it has the 10:1 transformer & cathode follower circuit, I hear there are fans of cathode follower & fans of plate out ......

gary o said:
Says SYT 51 on the board ...........is 51 different to STY5/B .....

So this thing has nothing in common with U67 .... only crill shape ......Is the chunger style capsule any good ........

Interesting that it has the 10:1 transformer & cathode follower circuit, I hear there are fans of cathode follower & fans of plate out ......

...I have a few of the mics that share this same circuit (Advanced Audio, Stellar)...I also have an OEM SYT-5...never seen a "51", do you have a picture?...that same CCDA is coupled to a 35mm K67 w/BV8-style tranny (6.5:1), or a 34mm C12 w/BV11-style tranny (10:1) or T14-style tranny (12:1)...Advanced Audio's website claims the CM67se has a BV8-style transformer, but the box on the PCB isn't large enough to house that big a tranny...I believe earlier CM67se mics had a smaller BV11-style, like my SYT-5 has...

...the capsules are quite good actually...they are not as bright as the typical chinese K67...Chunger himself tried it in a 47-clone mic while waiting for a proper K47 capsule, and was surprised how good it sounds...the Stellar CM-6 uses that capsule (coupled to a simple EF86 based plate-follower circuit, no cathode follower) and the mic is beautifully clear, detailed and modern sounding...

...check out these live recordings filmed using the Advanced Audio version of the SYT-5B for all vocal tracks, as well as acoustic guitar...very impressive, IMHO:
http://www.youtube.com/user/phoenixdrivevideos

never seen a "51", do you have a picture?...
http://www.youtube.com/user/phoenixdrivevideos
[/quote]
Hi in the video link I posted you can see the board thats where I saw SYT51

Interesting news about that K67 ish capsule ....

Thanks for video link

Interesting to hear about the many versions & tranformer styles, I wonder what sounds the best

gary o said:
Hi in the video link I posted you can see the board thats where I saw SYT51

...yes, now I see what you are referring to...my guess is that the "1" denotes "Lundahl" (maybe the Chinese meant to put an "l" but got a "1")...

Attachments

• SYT-5l.jpg
    SYT-5l.jpg
    129.3 KB
...here's the stock SYT-5 with the stock BV11-style tranny (in the metal box on the PCB)...

Attachments

• SYT-5.jpg
    SYT-5.jpg
    629.8 KB
Great pics Kidvybes of those mics you have do you have a favorite .....Stellar CM6 seems interesting ....

Im currently making tube mic circuits to compare to each other using same capsules transformer C12 Elams with 6072A or 5840, Maxes MK47,Royer mod, M49 with 5840 just made version with 6AK5

It seems tha even tho I dont really know what Im doing I can get each circuit to sound the same as the others..... well at least to my ears, its interesting.

gary o said:
Great pics Kidvybes of those mics you have do you have a favorite .....Stellar CM6 seems interesting ....

...they all sound very good, and very much like variations on a particular "sound"...but the one that stands out the most to me is the one that has been modified to remove the cathode-follower and replace the dual-triode tube with a pentode wired as a triode, the CM-6...wonderful clarity, detail and a very modern "pop-radio" sheen...bright, but not harsh, fizzy or hazy...what goes in is what comes out...very true to the source...a testimony to "less is more", IMHO...

Attachments

• CM6circuit01.jpg
    CM6circuit01.jpg
    64.5 KB
Similar capsule I guess I too like the less is more approach circuits.... have been wanting to DIY a EF86 circuit but I think all my EF86s are noisy ..... might try a EF37A should be fun.

Back