Feeler: Altec / Abbey Road RS 124 Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Kishibashi can we have pictures sketches schematics of these two emi moddified 436s ....I see as Im posting this you have added a front panel pic......

And guys do we think Rotheus scematic in this thread is the EMI holy grail....Im just thinking I thinks I have the parts and could knock 1 a P2P version up very quickly to see how it sounds if it sounds good who cares if its EMI ....still curious tho

gary o said:
And guys do we think Rotheus scematic in this thread is the EMI holy grail....Im just thinking I thinks I have the parts and could knock 1 a P2P version up very quickly to see how it sounds if it sounds good who cares if its EMI ....still curious tho

Go for it!

Everyone can make their own decision, but in my opinion this is the original circuit. Even if not, the Hinson version usually gets rave reviews. Rotheu said the unit he reverse engineered sounded very nice, too.

Hmm...

Hard to see in the picture, but it appears that the font engraving on the panel looks more "modern" than the originals...

Did the original RS124s have the threshold and meter cal holes? I thought EMI used 436Bs, that didn't have these. Looks like a modded 436C to me...

Convince us. Please?

Thanks.

Yeah, never seen a Hinson unit with those controls. Might be a customer request though?

Font is close but not the same as all the Hinson RS124 pics I have. Mainly the 1's and 3's are very different.

Not to say it isn't an early model with some different features...

There was a pair of these on ebay not too long ago. Went for something like $8k on a buy it now. Amusing dissertation-length description. Which included "In full disclosure, the parts used in these units will have been taped over or have black marker over their parts number, in order to protect the original design." They didn't say who made them, just that they were "A very talented engineer from the US west coast has reverse engineered these limiters from original Abbey Road/EMI units and schematics." Here's one of the pics, though I have them all as well as the full description if it'll help at all.

Attachments

• five.JPG
    five.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 226
Yes they would help! Thanks for having the foresight to save them. Rotheu said the unit he RE'd had sharpied component values as well.

Kishibashi, do the RS124s you have look anything like coniglius' picture inside??

ed rees said:
Yeah, never seen a Hinson unit with those controls. Might be a customer request though?
I was talking about the original EMI units. But yeah, I'm ass-u-me -ing Hinson's were based on/cloned from original EMI units.

[quote author=ed rees]
Font is close but not the same as all the Hinson RS124 pics I have. Mainly the 1's and 3's are very different.
[/quote]

Yes, also the 'O's, etc. Again, I'm talking about the fonts of the EMI units.

lassoharp said:
if it sounds good who cares if its EMI

be careful.  that kind of common sense might be dangerous . .  ;)  ;D

Also, if it's like the REDD47 the reputation is mostly unfounded, with people confusing tape distortion for this extremely clean preamp.

Just because it's associated with emi and beatles doesn't mean...

Another... Auction said that the serial numbers were 62014a and 62014b.

mich: Yep, well it it sold on the Buy It Now price. I remember it had a starting bid of like $7999 or something like it and it went with no buyers then the seller changed it to a Buy It Now and I was thinking "yeah good luck with that" and it sold within the next day. At least, according to ebay.

Like I said I have the full auction description which includes a bunch of info on the units, maybe someone else can glean something from it but it's rather long and wouldn't make a good post. Chime in (pm me your email and I'll cc everyone who's interested) if you'd like a copy of it and maybe someone else can parse out what information would be helpful to this thread and post it.

Attachments

• three.JPG
    three.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 83
lassoharp said:
At least, according to ebay

Check seller's feedback for item # confirmation to listed buyer?  Or just the end of auction "item sold for" page? 

Well no and I don't remember who the seller was. The item sold for page had the amount in "green" which indicates that it had actually sold. What happened after that I dunno, I never actually went back and looked for feedback or anything. I do know that they hadn't appeared again. This was awhile ago (close to, but less than a year) so that info isn't in ebay anymore.

There were multiple pairs and singles sold about a year back.  All sold, and never showed up again. 

Any confirmation on those internals Kishibashi?

If not a Hinson, there is one other person supposed to have original schematics, an ex-EMI employee in the UK.
OR your units could have been reverse engineered from a Hinson and had a few mods done.  ???

Orrrr it could be some made-up crap like the 'Ebay schematics' were...

Latest posts

Back