[FEELER] C12 Clone Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please indicate which project configuration would most interest you.

• pcb's only

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • pcb's and donor microphone

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • partial kit (pcb, electronic components, transformer)

Votes: 37 18.6%
  • partial kit with donor microphone

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • complete turn-key package

Votes: 83 41.7%

• Total voters
Nice but They need to solder the vertical mesh supports (left and right) to the edge of the base not to the inside. This at the moment aesthetically doesn't look good in my opinion. The lines on a c12 should be fluid from top to bottom.

chunger said:
OK. . . the good news from the Motherland is we have headbasket prototypes!!! These are officially not vaporware anymore.  The bad news is the tooling cost was about 2.5x the original quoted price  :mad:  Well, done is done.  From the pictures the factory provided, this looks on target.  I will need to get hands-on to confirm.

Here is the single layer C12 variant

p1407843530.jpg

p1407843456-5.jpg

And the 2 layer Ela M251 variant

p1407843566.jpg

p1407843496-6.jpg

If there is a complaint on my end, it would seem the headbasket feels a little bit on the high side.  I did tweak the dimensions a few iterations before settling in on the final sizing so I need to confirm that the factory used my latest revision drawing to generate their tooling, but it does appear to be correct to my specification.  Because the HT-11A body tube is wider and shorter than the original C12 tube, it's a compromise fudging the headbasket proportions.  From the pictures that I squinted at continuously while doing the design, it seemed the C12 placed the capsule low in the headbasket which is why I favored taller on the headbasket in the end.

For the 2 layer Ela M251 configuration, it seems my meshing at least on the outermost layer may need to be tighter than the current 12x12 material.

CAn someone confirm 14x14 .020" diameter outer layer mesh configuration for the Ela M251?  I think that's where this is headed.  Also, I have no clue as to the inner mesh specification.  Internet data to date is chirping birds.

Looks?? If  I can achieve close to an authentic c12 and elam251 SOUND out of my builds?, I dont care if my studio looks like a dildo factory!! :eek: ??? :) :D ;D

tonycamp said:
Looks?? If  I can achieve close to an authentic c12 and elam251 SOUND out of my builds?, I dont care if i my studio looks like a dildo factory!! :eek: ??? :) :D ;D

lol Nothing wrong with you being the type to put a lambo engine in a honda body. I take pride in the things I build and want the aesthetics to reflect that... Thats what makes us all different.. I already own two vintage c12's and a 251e... although i agree that when its up in the booth who gives a shit... BUT, since the head basket's manufactured from scratch, why not correct it now at no cost. Enjoy your mic. :)

I'm also not 100% sure from the pictures. Were they taken with an iPhone? There could be the illusion of a concave/convex effect in the photos above (??)

From where I'm sitting the support bars look to me like they bow outwards from the inside of the ring base where they're attached. If the cost of these was below a certain pricepoint, I would be quite happy with this headbasket as it is. If the price was over that pricepoint, then maybe Jess's points are valid.

if you've already gone to the trouble of going through with this (and paid extra for retooling), it's probably worth it if a few more people comment. It makes sense to get it right before you start shipping numbers. Thanks for all your efforts Chunger. They're appreciated.

The headbaskets have been polished and are at my associate's office in China where I've been able to inquire about a few details before they ship out to me.

It is confirmed that one of the specifications I made was not carried out in the prototype.  I believe the assembly method should stay the same for the strength of the part and ease of manufacture (butt joints I assume are weaker and harder to align than the current overlapping type joint).

p1454030620-4.jpg

While this bend may not bring the side rail completely in line with the outer edge of the base piece, it should move in the right direction while retaining the same build procedure.  This detail was specifically discussed and reflected in the build drawings, so it should not cost me any more to get right.  The factory did not build to originally requested specs.  Other details that we hashed out were carried out correctly.  These samples will be good enough to test sonics, finish quality, and overall look.

Thanks. A very comprehensive answer . . . And noted on all points.  ;)  And I hope you don't mind me making those points above ...

Yes, a butt join is likely not as structurally sound and would require welding as well. Then there would be an ugly spot weld point sticking out on the surface of the join. The way you have designed it, the spot weld point is hidden inside the base ring. Definitely more desirable.

There will always be something to nitpick, but I think we are moving decidedly in the right direction with these.  In broad strokes, I am very happy with these results and I'm sure many other people will be as well.  I requested 6 samples in total because I like to see a range of possible manufacturing defects that can occur and yes, there are a few alignment and finish imperfections, but at our target price point, I think we are on the right track.

p1456852208-5.jpg

p1456852640-4.jpg

p1456897314-4.jpg

p1456900278-4.jpg

Chung, the differences in these photos is significant compared to the sample in the earlier photos you posted. Disregard what I said .. These are a winner !! Any guidelines or ball park on price yet?

MagnetoSound said:
The best thing about a dildo factory is the testing area.

Hi chunger, i'm a bit of perfectionist when it comes to these things... so apologies for nit picking.

In terms of the basket shape, it does look more bent in your other image from your build thread. although i'm sure i can have it aligned and soldered from the inside.

Best,

Jess

p1456852416-5.jpg

Jess, I have a feeling that in this and some of the other photos there is an illusion of curvature from an iPhone photo. In other photos (depending on the angle) they appear perfectly straight.

Hi Jess,

Perfection comes with a price. . . we are operating in the real world here.

Low Cost
Perfect Quality
Fast Production

Choose any 2. 

Can I make a headbasket myself to a higher level of fit/finish?  Yes. . . it would take forever.  You are welcome to buy a Flea body kit and I'm sure you will find a better specification and manufacture tolerance there.  What I'm trying to do here is strike a balance and give proper priority to the non-negotiable tone elements (capsule, tube, transformer), and for the rest of it, keep things reasonably priced and functional.  Your priorities are probably different, and your mic locker undoubtedly reflects these differing priorities.

If I'm building an heirloom firearm or race car engine the standards would be set to a completely different standard.  Looking at this headbasket from those standards, I can certainly pick it apart point by point. . . slight mis-alignment here, a nick or scratch in the metal surface there, a corner that has not been perfectly beveled, the radius of the hoop not exact, the straight portions of the brass bar not exact.  Is it fair for me to demand all of these issues be resolved to perfection at the price point the factory is producing these at?  No.

I did not start this headbasket project by saying to myself, "I want to make the highest quality headbasket I can have".  I started by creating a general look and function that I am after and finding a factory that would build it for me to a slightly better standard on average than the bodies I import at a price that would allow everyone that wants one to have one.

Sorry to disappoint you, and you are correct.  None of the sample headbaskets are perfect, and I did not photograph the best copy.  That was on purpose.  I do not want to mis-lead anybody, but chose a "mid-level" sample to accurately represent what I feel will be a representative of the final product that I will be shipping to people.  This is why I requested 6 headbaskets for sample verification instead of the usual 1.  I wanted to see the slight variations between them to get a better understanding of what to expect in a large run.

JessJackson said:
Hi chunger, i'm a bit of perfectionist when it comes to these things... so apologies for nit picking.

In terms of the basket shape, it does look more bent in your other image from your build thread. although i'm sure i can have it aligned and soldered from the inside.

Best,

Jess

p1456852416-5.jpg

hey chunger,
nice to see the project growing. perhaps someone mentioned it but i found a ck12 capsule clone in europe:
http://www.timcampbell.dk/index2b.htm

i dont know this capsule, but anyone? perhaps a good choice for us in europe?

electrisizer said:
hey chunger,
nice to see the project growing. perhaps someone mentioned it but i found a ck12 capsule clone in europe:
http://www.timcampbell.dk/index2b.htm

i dont know this capsule, but anyone? perhaps a good choice for us in europe?

This is Tim Campbell's CT12 capsule. . . it is the absolute best available at this time and the capsule that we have been using for our testing and prototyping.

I just received the kit from Chunger. Hopefully I'll have the time to assemble it next week. Can't wait. By the way, the headbasket looks great !

Back