[FEELER] C12 Clone Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please indicate which project configuration would most interest you.

• pcb's only

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • pcb's and donor microphone

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • partial kit (pcb, electronic components, transformer)

Votes: 37 18.6%
  • partial kit with donor microphone

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • complete turn-key package

Votes: 83 41.7%

• Total voters
micaddict said:
You are familiar with the name of this place right? 

kidvybes knows more about tube microphones and their guts than one might think.
Plus he's honest enough to admit soldering is not his strongest point.
Oh, and he's a nice guy to boot.
Passionate, too.
He's an enrichment to the GroupDIY forum.
Trust me on this one.  :)

I second that.

Biasrocks said:
Thought I was.

Unfortunately, you've totally missed the point and chose to take it as a personal attack.

...why not go back and re-read my very lighthearted initial post (see the wink?) and then re-read how this conversation progressed...there was no need for this to proceed as it did...I apologize if I offended you, but my initial remark was purely innocent and meant to amuse...that was the point missed my friend...I extend an olive branch...

kidvybes said:
I apologize if I offended you, but my initial remark was purely innocent and meant to amuse...that was the point missed my friend...I extend an olive branch...

Apology accepted and reciprocated.  8)

Now, let's build these suckers!

Regards,
Mark

glad that all worked out :eek:,

hey matador, where's the pics of the mic build? its been 16 hours since you finished the proto power supply! come on brother, dont be such a procrastinator;) I await with bated breath ;D

Ps you da bomb

tonycamp said:
glad that all worked out :eek:,

hey matador, where's the pics of the mic build? its been 16 hours since you finished the proto power supply! come on brother, dont be such a procrastinator;) I await with bated breath ;D

Ps you da bomb

I hope to start on it Tuesday. ;)

kidvybes said:
Matador said:
I may go ahead and add a layout option for a trimmer so this can be adjusted based on each tube.

...great idea!...somebody should offer a pre-assembled complete PSU build of this quality for those of us who are solder-challenged (HINT, HINT!)... ;)

Welome Kidvybes!

I've received so much great information from your various posts on that "other" board, I would be more than happy to build a power supply for you when the project is released.

In return, we'll need a full review. ;)

Update:  I have most of the donor mike apart, and I took a series of pictures.  Next I'll be test fitting the new board + standoff's to make sure stuff has clearance on the inside.  I also have some more pics of the PSU build where I replaced the resistors in the polar pattern switch, and wired up the XLR jacks.  The only thing left to do is drill out the chassis for the fuse holder.

Matador said:
Welome Kidvybes!

I've received so much great information from your various posts on that "other" board, I would be more than happy to build a power supply for you when the project is released.

In return, we'll need a full review. ;)

...Thank You Matador, for your kind offer!...I would be more than happy to put your PSU design thru the paces (in comparison to the stock OEM unit) if it would benefit the project...there have been numerous discussions about the value of a higher quality tube microphone power supply on the pro audio threads in the past...varied opinions have been voiced by the likes of Klaus Heyne and Martin Kantola, as well as respected modder/builders Ben Sneesby (Beesneez), Jim Jacobson (JJ Audio) and other equally qualified techs...

...any evaluation I could offer would be on a purely practical level, of course, nothing laboratorical...but it would be interesting to see if there are beneficial audible differences when tracking vocals in a home studio environment using the improved design, as well as the added value of the variable trim control...

...and I'm gratified to know that someone as knowledgeable as yourself found value in my postings in the past on that "other" site... ;)

Hi chunger.

I'm looking at your assembled mic pcb's & am wondering if the whole assembly would fit inside a 38mm inside diameter tube ?  From your previous posting I can see that the width of the board is about 38 mm. but with the semi circular board attached it looks like the whole assembly needs a wider tube than the 38mm that the original is.  COuld you confimr either way ?    The reason being that your boards could be a neat solution for my build using original metalwork, but I suspect it may be a bit too big.

kidvybes said:
...and I'm gratified to know that someone as knowledgeable as yourself found value in my postings in the past on that "other" site... ;)

For the sake of the unenlightened, care to share what that other site is.

Regards,
Mark

Biasrocks said:
kidvybes said:

For the sake of the unenlightened, care to share what that other site is.

Regards,
Mark

You know, that other "slutty" site. ;)

kidvibes is all over gearslutz, home recording, and just about all the other "audio engineering" sites i've surfed. He seems to be a big fan of Jim Jacobson(jim is a super cool guy imo also) and sterling mics(i think?). This is off the top of my head, dont hold me to it. He seems well informed in his postings that i've seen. 

tonycamp said:
kidvibes is all over gearslutz, home recording, and just about all the other "audio engineering" sites i've surfed. He seems to be a big fan of Jim Jacobson(jim is a super cool guy imo also) and sterling mics(i think?). This is off the top of my head, dont hold me to it. He seems well informed in his postings that i've seen.

...thanks for the vote of confidence, tc...just a small edit...make that "Stellar", not Sterling (big difference!)...affordable tube mics are my passion, and I make a habit of documenting "under the hood" build quality and component sourcing for others who may be interested...we've also shot-out some very affordable options against some of the more established higher end counterparts with interesting results...brands like Stellar, Advanced Audio, Beesneez, and a few lesser know Asian-sourced lines have been the focus of my posts on the microphone front...along the way I've ruffled some feathers, but my posts are focused more on praising what I believe to be some of the lower-end gems, rather than any negative bashing of lesser quality product...I also enjoy comparing/testing a broad selection of applicable vacuum tube variants for microphone use...

...I appreciate the positive input from some of the members here on DIY, and I hope I can be a productive member of this site as well...
...now. please don't waste another post on my count...back to building! ;)

Hey man.
Hows the mic coming along???
Im looking at your pcb wil they fit inside a 460 body??
The tube will solder directly to pcb or will it be hardwired??
is it gonna be in the center of rails?

Cant wait!

I probably measured something off and it all went horribly wrong  ;D :eek:

I did make a bit of progress on the headbasket.

p1252166754-4.jpg

p1252166824-4.jpg

I also found a factory to make them for me at a very reasonable price. . . trouble is, I'll have to order 500 on the 1st go because of tooling.  Well, that just means I'll have quite enough to go around.  I may also try to contact a few small-scale manufacturers that use the HT-11A pattern microphone for their retail products to see if they may be interested in taking a few of these off my hands once I get them.

The Apex 460 is wider than C12 and narrower than ELA M251 which makes it an interesting exercise making a headbasket for either one.  Since we are planning to do ELA M251 project next, I figure I will make the order with double layer and single layer mesh.  Also, to complicate things more, there were at least 2 versions of the C12 headbasket one being taller than the other.  That being the case, the best I can do with the HT-11A platform is to proportionally fudge everything a bit and make the hoop configuration closer.  Beyond that, if you require exact dimensional match to the original C12, flea or AMI would be the path to take or home-brew the tube.

As for the mesh material, as near as I can figure, it is about 10.5 squares per inch on quite a few C12 images.  This is visually determined based on 34mm capsule diameter in pictures.  I have not found someone yet to put a ruler to an actual C12 for me although that would be a simple exercise.  10x10 brass mesh with a 10% tolerance and .025" width wire is probably the closest readily available material.  I wouldn't be surprised if the forming process compresses the mesh a hair yielding 10.5 squares per inch upon final assembly.

I am still trying to determine the inner mesh spec for the ELA M251.  Another problem I'm thinking of in the back of my mind is an indication by Tim Campbell or was it Gyraf on this board mentioning that grid opening of greater than 1.5mm allows for RF and other interference. . . the 10x10 mesh is about 1.7mm but any way I measure it, I don't see the original grid being 12x12 mesh which is the next step tighter.  Due to the cost of the capsule, I may very well run dual layer grid material on my personal mic assuming the sonics in that configuration are solid.  Excellent noise rejection and protection for the capsule are important to me.  But, we won't know anything concrete until we get some test/production samples.  I have sent one HT-11A to the factory that will be producing the headbasket so we can make sure everything fits perfectly before they ship samples out and they get the mating surfaces and holes correct.  Once samples are in, I will be able to test the 2 grid setups.  I'm hoping these will be low enough cost that people can experiment with it just like a cap, resistor, or other tweakable mic parameter.

UPDATE: My internet-fu is working again. . . it appears the mesh may in fact be 12x12 and the part right over the front of the capsule is in the "stretched" portion of the material yielding the strange 10.5 per inch measurement.  I think I will try 12x12 .025" mesh first at least on the sample.

chunger said:
I probably measured something off and it all went horribly wrong  ;D :eek:

Nah, I've been swamped in a work emergency and all of my (limited) free time has been taken until Friday. :(

I did get the turrets mounted.  Based on my Mark I Eyeball measurements it looks ok but I haven't gotten very far yet.

it appears the mesh may in fact be 12x12

12x12 is what JJ Audio uses for the Dutch.

if you require exact dimensional match to the original C12, flea or AMI would be the path to take or home-brew the tube.

Yep, the Flea (AMI) is very nice, but pretty expensive. An affordable open headbasket for the Apex460/HST-11A, as discussed here, would be a fine solution for many home brewers. Hats off for Chunger's initiative.
500 pieces? That's just warming up.  ;)

As for the ELA M251, the BeesNeez kit is not nearly as expensive as the Flea C12 kit (though not as affordable as an Apex with modded or Chunger headbasket, obviously). A very sturdy build to boot. And a (Matador) PCB that will fit an Apex, will easily fit the ELA. So, for some, this could be an alternative and a middle ground between cheap and expensive.
On sale for 399 Aussie dollars as we speak:
http://www.beesneezmicrophones.com.au/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=99

Latest posts

Back