Feeler: crowdfunding a CNC router.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you mention NC milling of wood. Peavey pioneered using NC milling to machine guitar necks several decades ago. I think Hartley repurposed a German machine designed to make rifle stocks.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Funny you mention NC milling of wood. Peavey pioneered using NC milling to machine guitar necks several decades ago. I think Hartley repurposed a German machine designed to make rifle stocks.

JR

Guitar neck is hard to manufacture by hand - this is something I wouldn't even try.
But flat pieces are ok. Now I just use MDF templates I cut out using a laser cutter in a local fab lab - then I use a template bit on a router to copy it.
Hand router is great for woodwork, but a CNC would be so much easier.

Anyway, check out what received as a contribution - about a dozen of aluminum profiles, 4x4cm and 4x8cm in different lengths, from 1 meter up to 3 meters.
There is probably enough for 3 CNC machines  ;D

2myupog.jpg

2yy2mfo.jpg

Anthon said:
Guitar neck is hard to manufacture by hand - this is something I wouldn't even try.
The neck in itself is not the biggest issue, it's the fretboard, particularly slotting it, which requires specific tools.
Hartley Peavey was a visionary usin CNC machines for the whole guitar; in addition to less labour cost, it gives unprecented repeatabilty.
[/quote]

abbey road d enfer said:
The neck in itself is not the biggest issue, it's the fretboard, particularly slotting it, which requires specific tools.
Hartley Peavey was a visionary usin CNC machines for the whole guitar; in addition to less labour cost, it gives unprecented repeatabilty.

By the neck I mean neck + fretboard.

I think I'll just fund CNC myself after all, because it's not something that I can't do with my own money.
But once I've built a machine that produces consistent and satisfactory results, I will make a crowd fund as a means of further upgrading it and opening an online shop. That way people would be more eager to contribute and less stress would be involved.

You should (among other things) check out your competition. This guy is in Atlanta, I've not used him, mainly because I've never needed anything like this yet, but he's been at the Mini Maker Faires and Maker Faires for years:
http://www.bigbluesaw.com/

There's this forum which has thousands of posts applicable to making your own CNC:
http://www.cnczone.com/

I don't mean to discourage you, it does look like a fun project.

Latest posts

Back