FEELER: LA-3A - Dual Mono/Stereo 2U Design (AKA The SA-3A) - PAGE 6 TO PRE-ORDER

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I can't tell you much because I just don't know.  Info is scarce, I didn't spec them, I just made it happen (with some help).  This has always been the hangup with making the project happen for the last 6 years - the iron.  And the whole point was getting all of it available to everyone so they'd have a properly functional, authentic clone, which was no easy task.  The input is something like a 1:8.  I'm sure you could find something else that would fit the bill there, what it will sound like?  I can't say.  Interstage is around a 1:10 or 1:10.5 wired as an autoformer.  Using something other than that particular one will start messing with the amount of compression.  The output is the same custom one used on the 1176 Rev G/J, which is a 1+1:3.5+3.5 ratio.  If you want the circuit to act like the original, again you need that specific transformer.

tommypiper said:
I'm interested in:
-Board/3 Transformer Stereo Bundle (300)
-Stereo Unit Front Panel (55)
-Stereo Matched Pairs (20)
-matched T4B's (180)
(total $555 w/out shipping)

FYI if I do the T4B's they'll be either $185 or $190 for the pair, most likely it will be $185 (no extra shipping charges).  Still haven't given the go ahead for the T4B's (waiting on some questions to be verified) but it's ok to preorder everything else.  Just let me know whatever you want to do.

tommypiper said:
input is the same as in the current reissue unit

All 3 are the same as the current reissue, not just the input.

Just let me know if you need to know anything else.

What's the latest on the availability of these awesome kits (both the SB4000 and the SA3A - pre-paid one of each!)?

Thanks so much for all you do, Ruckus!  :-*

8)

I really do hope there is enough interest in the T4Bs.

I think it's a great opportunity to save on shipping, especially for non-US shipments.

JD

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope for the best and move forward with the T4B's.  As long as everyone that ordered kits that expressed interest in them actually orders them and I get a few more sometime in the next 2-3 weeks, then it will be fine.  For the T4B's there's going to be a deadline of Dec 12th on them, as Drip needs 2 weeks for assembly and matching, but there's no deadline for ordering boards/xfmr's as they're already on order.  I'll officially allow everyone to start adding the T4B's to thier orders later today, I just need to verify pricing and lead time because I'll be ordering less of them than I originally intended.  The issue is that there haven't been quite as many initital orders as I originally thought there would be, so I'm at the limit of how much I'm willing to risk investing in this project.  It's already a significant amount of capital, and adding the T4B's makes it even more significant.  I need to get orders for at least 20 stereo units worth to make it happen, the feeler list is at about 15, so just need 5 more or so in the next 3 weeks, nothing crazy and surely a realistic number.  Absolute worst case if there's not enough orders for them by the deadline, I'll refund the money for them and not move forward with the T4B's, it's as simple as that.

To answer Randy's question - Boards, input/interstage/output transformers, panels, transistors for matching, and even the shipping boxes are on order as of a week ago.  Tentative delivery date for the longest lead time items is end of Dec, though they may come in a little early, I can't say for sure, will know more exacts as the date approaches.

Components for the component kits will take about 3-5 days to get, but I need alot of time to kit the parts.  So if you're ordering component kits the deadline for those is Dec 12th as well.

Again, there's no deadline for boards, panels, or input/interstage/output xfmrs.

I think I'll need to make my order just 1 pcb and set of transformers.

With shipping to NYC, the total is $316 correct?

I'll paypal that over this evening.

rrs - no worries dude, totally up to you, T4B's from me are completely optional.

benlindell - ya lost me, do you want a single board + transformers?  The $300 is for a stereo set (2 of each transformer and 2 boards).  So a mono board + transformer set would only be $150 + shipping.  Please clarify.

If so (and to anyone else thinking about doing a mono build), just one thing I wanted to point out - because of the way I designed it, a 2nd board can be added later at any time without having to add another power transformer or populate the power supply section on the 2nd board - it just plugs right in to the 1st board and away you go (nothing needs to be modified).  For this reason, if anyone's running into budget issues and are thinking of just doing a mono build right now, if you know down the road you're going to want to add a 2nd channel so you have a stereo unit, just plan your front panel/case accordingly. 

I'm actually doing the same thing right now with my D-LA2A board, because with the cost of the tubes and sowter transformers, can't afford to do both channels this second, but still doing a stereo faceplate.

Thanks for the update.  I'm still in for the pair of matched Drip T4B's.

You kick so much arse it's not even funny!  :-*

8)

Hi All,

Meter and knob bundles are up on the site and in stock.
http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=78

You can find them in the "Kits and Bundles" section.  I have a very limited supply right now, only about 15 units, but if you want to get them early now is your chance.  I'll have a larger supply in about 3 weeks.

Please post any questions to my WM thread.

Thanks!

Mike

Hey Guys I hope this is ok to post here but just and FYI.  I will be stocking stereo 2U enclosures that will work for this project (and others).  If you have any questions hit me up in my White Market thread.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=41963.msg522358#msg522358

Thanks, back to the LA 3A fun!

T4B's:

It's now ok to add them to your LA3A orders.  You don't have to order them at the same time as the rest of the kit, it's ok to place a seperate order for the T4B's.  However, Deadline for ordering T4B's is Dec 17th.  They're only available with an SA-3A order, if you need them for another project please order them from Drip direct.  This is probably a 1 time thing, I likely will not be offering them after this 1st batch. 
Prices are:
$95 - Single (Includes shipping)
$185 - Stereo Matched Pair (Includes shipping)

I need at least 20 stereo unit's worth of orders to do this.  Based on the indicated interest we should be fine.

Ordering instructions in my white market thread:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=40755.0

We're almost there ladies............  ;D

Parts.JPG

Back