FEELER: LA-3A - Dual Mono/Stereo 2U Design (AKA The SA-3A) - PAGE 6 TO PRE-ORDER

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Ruckus,
                  I indicated on the feeler for a stereo kit PCBs,  transformers, matched transistors and face plate.... however money is tight, had to get four snow tires for the car so I'm not out yet, but may have to wait for second batch, will let you know.

Good luck and speedy recovery !

I plan on buying the full monty bundle with power transformer. I'll even get the T4Bs from you if you offer them. Waiting on a payment from someone, then I can send money.

jordan s said:
I plan on buying the full monty bundle with power transformer. I'll even get the T4Bs from you if you offer them. Waiting on a payment from someone, then I can send money.

No prob, sounds good.

So I'm alive guys.  Surgery went very well.  Didn't have to stay overnight, they discharged me this afternoon so I'm home now.  I'm hurting pretty bad and exhausted though so going to go relax now.

Got an DLA2A board just before this was announced. Kinda tempted by the complete package offered by this build given that my time seems to be an ever dwindling resource (and I've still got to rebuild my entire modular). It would be my only hardware compressor, aside from an SB4000 I have waiting to be built. I'll mainly use it on vocals and synths. Anyone have an LA2A and LA3A and wanna give some advice?

oh and hope you recover speedily, ruckus. DIYland needs you!

JoeMorris said:
Got an DLA2A board just before this was announced. Kinda tempted by the complete package offered by this build given that my time seems to be an ever dwindling resource (and I've still got to rebuild my entire modular). It would be my only hardware compressor, aside from an SB4000 I have waiting to be built. I'll mainly use it on vocals and synths. Anyone have an LA2A and LA3A and wanna give some advice?

oh and hope you recover speedily, ruckus. DIYland needs you!

It's gonna take more than a hacksaw to my spine to keep this dog away haha!

Man, as much as you would think I'd say "go for an LA-3A", I really can't help you on this one.  Ironically enough, I'm laying here with the laptop ordering the rest of my components for my D-LA2A lol, since I really can't do anything else right now.  It's pretty bad when after 2 days I'm already having solder station withdrawl.

They're both great compressors, both have thier own mojo and strong points.  It's a tough one.

Thanks for getting back to me. I get the impression they are two quite different sounding units, despite their common heritage. Obviously the real man's answer is to build both, but that isn't going to happen for me in teh foreseeable. I'm hoping to build an MK47 soon (already have capsule ordered) and want a nice recording chain to justify it, got a double EZ1290 already and planning to add an S800 EQ too, just need a top-notch vocal tracking compressor. decisions decisions....

tommypiper said:
Will your front panels fit Par Metal Series 12?

Yup, sure will - I'm using series 10 in my prototype - dimensions are the same as series 12.

To all: there's a few items I wanted to go over earlier in the week but with the surgery just ran out of time and haven't been in the best of shape to be dealing with it last couple days.  Main thing is there were a couple of minor tweaks to the front panel graphics, nothing major, I'll get the final glam shots posted up in the morning.  Looks even cooler now than my prototype, but since this was done after a bunch of you ordered them, if anyone that has already ordered a panel wishes to opt out of getting one just let me know, as wouldn't be right to do otherwise.

The changes were:  The "normal/mod" (as it's labeled on the reissues) switch has been relabeled as "classic/mod" on mine.  Since the "mod" position will be what is normally used 99% of the time, it seemed a little stupid and misleading for the other position to be labeled "normal".  "classic" seemed much more appropriate.  I've added a graphics box around the power switch & power LED, just spiced it up a little.  3rd thing is as I indicated a couple weeks ago my logo has changed.

The other thing I wanted to mention now, since it's already kind of been brought up is meters, or meter backlighting mainly.  The front panel design and everything onboard is sized for the 8037 meter WITH DUAL 5V LED'S that hairball stocks and Ptownkid will also be carrying.  Do not get the 12V lamp version, it'll draw too much current and won't work with the power xfmr's I'm providing.  If you use another type of meter, that's fine, just make sure your backlighting is LED's.

Now, if there's anyone out there that wants to use a vintage meter with lamp backlighting, or the 8037 with the 12V lamps, you cetainly can, however not with the power xfmr's in my kits.  You'll need to go to a 36V transformer to have enough overhead so to not bog down the regulators.  And now the catch is with going to a 36V power xfmr, the voltage drop on the regulators will be significant, and they're gonna get HOT.  So you'll need to bolt the regulators to a large heatsink offboard or to the chassis.

I hope you're recovering well.  Glad the back surgery was successful.  I was bed-ridden for a week with back pain...

Is there a schematic for your design we can refer to?
Will there be a build/wiring guide?
Who makes the transformers you're offering and what are their ratios/specs?

thanks!

tommypiper said:
Is there a schematic for your design we can refer to?

Will be posted next week.  Still have to make a few tweaks before posting.

tommypiper said:
Will there be a build/wiring guide?

Yes, absolutely.

tommypiper said:
Who makes the transformers you're offering and what are their ratios/specs?

Same iron as the original/reissue.  Inputs are custom cinemags.  Interstage and output recreated by Ed Anderson.  The interstage replica will have flying leads though to make assembly easier (the original interstage had tabs).

Hi Ruckus,
i hope your health is better since the surgery,
if it's not too late,
i would like to be in for a full kit, case compCB, tarnnies etc plus T4B
best regards,
francois

pacemaker said:
Hi Ruckus,
i hope your health is better since the surgery,
if it's not too late,
i would like to be in for a full kit, case compCB, tarnnies etc plus T4B
best regards,
francois

Ohh, not too late at all, there's still more than 30 stereo units worth available to preorder - pricing/ordering instructions are in my white market thread.  I'm goin to make a decision on the T4B's in next couple days.  In the meantime, if you or anyone else are ready to place an order, please don't wait on the T4B's.  I'll allow everyone to place a seperate order for them, and figure that helps alot of you guys on finances to be able to break up the order a little bit anyways.

Also glad to hear your surgery went well!  Good to hear the SA3A kit is progressing - I'm getting excited!  ;D

I'm absolutely still in for the matched pair of T4B's if that helps your cause...

Thanks for the updates  8)

I'm interested in:
-Board/3 Transformer Stereo Bundle (300)
-Stereo Unit Front Panel (55)
-Stereo Matched Pairs (20)
-matched T4B's (180)
(total $555 w/out shipping)

Can I get some info on the transformers, please?  Ratios, etc?  I may have some usable substitutes on hand and also prefer to use Lundahls when possible...  (I know the ones you're providing are great and the input is the same as in the current reissue unit, but I'd still like to know the info please.)

cheers.

Latest posts

Back