FEELER: LA-3A - Dual Mono/Stereo 2U Design (AKA The SA-3A) - PAGE 6 TO PRE-ORDER

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RE: envelope: Mono Board + Transformers + Mono Component Kit.....

Hi Mike, just wanted to clarify. I am in for Mono Board  + Transformers only please, and if possible a matched transistor set for a stereo build (in case I come to build a second unit, seems like a good idea to put them on my shelf)

n.b. The SB4000 build guide is excellent. thank you

could you measure the dimensions of the transformers and t4b casing?  i'm in 'what 2u build can i figure how to unnecessarily cram into a 1u case today' mode.  :-X

grantlack said:
could you measure the dimensions of the transformers and t4b casing?  i'm in 'what 2u build can i figure how to unnecessarily cram into a 1u case today' mode.  :-X

T4B's are 2.5" tall + your tube socket.  Power Transformer would fit in a 1U.  I don't know about the audio xfmr's ,they're taller than a 1U I know that.  Not to mention the caps, etc.  This wasn't designed for a 1U.

ruckus328 said:
T4B's are 2.5" tall + your tube socket.  Power Transformer would fit in a 1U.  I don't know about the audio xfmr's ,they're taller than a 1U I know that.  Not to mention the caps, etc.  This wasn't designed for a 1U.

I was thinking off-board and horizontal, been horrible with completing thoughts lately. The magnetica looks like it stands a chance, but the T4B might sink it. I'll probably just wuss out and go the 'intended use' route anyhow, but curiosity is curiosity.

Moby said:
Ruckus, I still don't see my name on the T4B list. Can you add me?

Yes, sorry, didn't add it because needed to clarify some things and been super busy and didn't have time to deal with it.  I thought it was understood but I should have been more clear, my bad - the T4B's would only be with the LA3A kits, not sold individually, and even if I could sell them individually I wouldn't be able to ship them for that price.  Drip was nice enough to work with me on a bulk supply of them because I indicated they were for the LA3A kits, and even agreed to the matching (which is a significant amount of work), so if I started selling them individually....well.... sure you guys can figure out how that would end ;)  Sorry for the confusion.

Matt, Jandoste, I'll add you to the list.  It's on page 6.  Right now we're only about half way to how many we'll need for me to move forward with it, but we have some time yet.  I'm not actually taking orders for them yet until I feel we have enough interest.  If/once I do start to though I'm going to have to put a deadline on those, but it won't be until 1st or 2nd week of December.

I have to say that I am quite confused about all the different lists and threads.
Me too.
I thought it was understood but I should have been more clear, my bad - the T4B's would only be with the LA3A kits, not sold individually, and even if I could sell them individually I wouldn't be able to ship them for that price.
Now I'm even more confused after your post Ruckus328. Sorry I don't have a time to build LA-3A I need T4B's for my LA2's. It's my old build laying on the bench because I don't have T4B's. BTW I don't need matched pair  8)
Anyway, If you decide to sell them separately please let me know including the  price. Thanks

Moby said:
I have to say that I am quite confused about all the different lists and threads.
Me too.
I thought it was understood but I should have been more clear, my bad - the T4B's would only be with the LA3A kits, not sold individually, and even if I could sell them individually I wouldn't be able to ship them for that price.
Now I'm even more confused after your post Ruckus328. Sorry I don't have a time to build LA-3A I need T4B's for my LA2's. It's my old build laying on the bench because I don't have T4B's. BTW I don't need matched pair  8)
Anyway, If you decide to sell them separately please let me know including the  price. Thanks

If you are looking for T4Bs, you can buy them from Drip Electronics (http://www.dripelectronics.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=30) directly.  I believe, please correct me if I am wrong, that the T4B units for this build will be coming from Drip anyway, but discounted for the bulk order.  Since the price previously listed was only for purchasers of the SA-3A kit, you can just order directly from Drip for only a little bit more.  There are a few other options, but that is the only link I have on hand.

Hope this helps and good luck with your LA2A build.

Ali

OK, just to try and clear up the confusion - the lists on page 6 are simply feeler lists, so I have a rough idea of the amount of interest and what people are interested in.  That's all it is.  It doesn't mean you've ordered something, it doesn't mean you have to, although I ask if people could please only express interest if they intend to actually move forward with it.

The list on the white market is a list of actual orders.  If you order a kit please post there, not here.  The lab isn't supposed to be used for buying/selling.

Moby - T4B's..... Now I'm confused about the confusion lol, but I'll try to again explain as clear as possible.  The only reason I am looking into supplying the T4B's was because people purchasing the LA3A kits were requesting it to try and save a few bucks by supplying them with.  Believe me, it's not that I don't want to sell them individually, but it's not up to me.  I asked Drip if he could supply me with a bulk supply specifically for my LA3A kits, not so that I could sell them by themselves.  Doing so would be directly stepping on his toes and taking away business from him.  What you're asking me to do would be to sell his stuff cheaper than he is, and in turn make him compete with his own stuff, so it wouldn't be a very good way of saying "thank you" to him, ya know?  I would expect if I did it would be the last time he'd supply me with them.  Hopefully this clears it up.

On a somewhat sidenote - something else I wanted to mention - the price I listed isn't finalized, but it is the worst case.  I'm hoping to do them a little cheaper, but it all depends on the amount of interest.

AMaziad said:
I believe, please correct me if I am wrong, that the T4B units for this build will be coming from Drip anyway, but discounted for the bulk order.  Since the price previously listed was only for purchasers of the SA-3A kit, you can just order directly from Drip for only a little bit more.

You hit the nail on the head.

Looks like the pre-orders are reaching critical mass!  Where do we stand on your minimum quota's for the component kit - and for the SA-3A kit in general?

Has ptownkid made any progress on the remaining parts packages (mainly the Chassis, Meters, and Knobs)? 

Getting closer and closer!

8)

Hi All,

I'll be offering a SB-3A knob/meter bundle at the shop.  I've had both of these items as standard stock for a while, but the bundle will save you a little cash.

The SB-3A frontpanel fits the HB-8037 meter an Mike has the power wired for the LED lighting option.
http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=40

The LA3A/5A knobs are here:
http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=49

I'm currently out the LED lighting option for the meters, but have more arriving in about 2 weeks.  At that time I'll probably post the SB-3A bundle on the site for those itching to get started.

Thanks,

Mike

rrs said:
Sounds good I will take you up on that. So can we order the bundle now or wait till it's up on your website?

I'll have a new batch of LED meters in stock in about 2 weeks (I only have lamps right now).  I'll put the bundle up at that point when all is in stock.  It'll be a good savings.

Any Q's about the bundle can be posted in my WM thread to keep this one on topic.

Thanks!

Mike

OK, updates.  I've been scrambling like a nutcase for days now to get the ball rolling on everything before my surgery tomorrow.  The clock is now ticking.  Transformers are on order.  Front panel order was placed yesterday.  Film for the screening & custom shipping boxes were placed on order today.  I'm doing some final tweaks to the layout but boards will be placed on order early next week (they have a very short lead time though and will be here long before the other items).  It's looking like everything else should be here within 5 weeks, it could run 6 though I can't guarantee - the holiday season doesn't exactly help move things along quickly.  So we might have em by christmas, it might be right after.  I'll keep everyone updated with info as I get it.

Component Kits/Power Transformers - I'm going to have to put an ordering deadline on these items if you want them.  Right now I'm setting the deadline for these for about 3 weeks from now (Dec 8th).  That should give me enough time to get the parts in and kit them all up by the time the final items arrive.

T4B's - at this time we don't have quite enough interest yet.  I'll see what the interest level is looking like this weekend, at which point I'll either have to open it up ordering for them them or abandon the idea.  I obviously would like to give everyone a couple week window for ordering them.  Drip needs at least two weeks for building/matching, which means I would have to put a deadline of around Dec 8th for these as well.  If you're interested in getting T4B's with your kits and your name is not on the feeler list on page 6 please post and I will add you.

I'll be in the hospital from tomorrow until Thurs/Fri.  I'll have the laptop but I don't know if they have wifi there.  If not I'll respond to emails/messages/questions when I get back.

Latest posts

Back