Feeler thread for Shaggy's Plexi C-12 body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaggy

Feeler thread for Shaggy's Plexi C-12 body

Hi guys...

I've been working on a C12 Plexi clone body for limited production.

(Prototype pics below).

I have materials in stock and tooling and fixtures made.  Just figuring out a few details, and would like your feedback.

Description:

AKG C12/ELA M25x -type clone mic body. Anodized aluminium chassis rings, nickel plated brass rails. Original style single mesh brass and bronze headbasket, nickel plated. Brass body tube finished in industrial gray/green enamel. Plexiglas ring wiring boards w/ German (Ettinger) silver-plated solder lugs, US-made phenolic tube socket, 34mm capsule saddle and iso-mount, 7-pin Amphenol-type connector. Ready to wire!

Dimensions: OD: 46mm, ID: 44mm, OAL: 275mm.

If you'd like to get in early on one of these, I have enough materials on hand for an initial run of 8 bodies, to start as soon as I receive orders for at least 4 . Price US$550 including shipping, with a lead time of 5 to 6 weeks. Please PM me if interested.

A Plexi ELA M25x prototype (with authentic headbasket) is in the works, and also a 'boardless' version of each type to suit both Chunger's and Poctop's PCBs.

Possible options: The bottom chassis ring/collar can be machined to fit your preferred connector and/or stand mount - just send me the specs. Phenolic or Plexi transformer mounting board can also be made to  your specs, or for a larger transformer (standard cutout  fits T14/1 or CM 13114).  Additional connector sets, spare fasteners, and any future upgradeable parts will be available at nominal cost. A shock mount cradle is also on the drawing board.

Any questions, suggestions and/or feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave (shaggy)

Attachments

• DSC_2621.jpg
    DSC_2621.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 338
Very nice!

is this larger diameter than c12 and  and smaller than elam?

I have always been of the understanding that ceramic is better than phenolic for critical applications.

Can you tell us a bit more about the headbasket and how it mounts to the body?

Are you custom building it or is it a import similar to what is offered at Studio 939?

Thank You.

shabtek said:
Very nice!

is this larger diameter than c12 and  and smaller than elam?

I have always been of the understanding that ceramic is better than phenolic for critical applications.

Thanks--glad you like it!

The body is a few mm larger in diameter than the original C12, from what I understand. I don't know the original dimensions of an ELA M body.

The phenolic tube socket can easily be replaced with a ceramic one, if you prefer.

Thanks

Dave (shaggy)

trans4funks1 said:
Can you tell us a bit more about the headbasket and how it mounts to the body?

Are you custom building it or is it a import similar to what is offered at Studio 939?

Thank You.

The headbasket will be secured to the upper body collar with three countersunk screws, located radially. These can be either exposed oval-head screws, or flathead screws concealed beneath a trim ring (as on the original C12 ).

All parts are (and will be) handmade and finished right here in the good old USA by yours truly, with the exception of the solder terminals and tube socket, the capsule saddles (these thanks to Chunger),  and the multi-pin connector (a high-quality Amphenol copy from China).  Some aspects of the design are still under consideration, and these and other details may change in future, depending in part upon the amount and type of feedback I receive.

Thanks for your interest.

Dave (shaggy)

rainton said:
If you get serious about the ELA M25x body with authentic head basket let me know - sounds very interesting!

I certainly will, but it will probably be awhile. If you have an original body and could supply specifications it would help.

Thanks for your interest.

Dave (shaggy)

Latest posts

Back