Flat Cable Wire Stripper

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@RoadrunnerOZ

I think @Gold may have some testing to do to see what Rogue (if any?) in his system of 10 cascaded devices might cause his reported -1 dB at 20 kHz. I can see a possibility of just accumulated small droops per stage all adding together....ASSuming there isn't one or more rogues in that cascade.

When I was young/dumb I was hired to design/build/deliver a studio console with specs of "DC to blue light". I eventually agreed with the client that 1 dB down at 75 kHz was acceptable to ensure pretty flat response at 20 kHz and minimal phase shift.

I struggled to keep that goal with Then Available opamps....in my case the new 5534 chips. Each stage in the signal path (which was very short) required HF response well into several hundreds of kHz.

On the LF end....."oversized" coupling caps.

http://brianroth.com/projects/m77/m77.html
Not bragging, but trying to come up with something that is as flat as possible in the "audible range" is a headache! lol

Bri
There was a scenario when Rupert Neve was called in by George Martin to a console that “didn’t sound right” to engineer Geoff Emerick at Air Studios in several channels - turns out there was a 3dB peak in the response at around 54KHz - this affected the harmonic response of the channels which made them sound different - it was due to capacitors being left off the output transformers which were part of an RC network to eliminate leakage inductance. Small things can make a big difference.

@RoadrunnerOZ
Not bragging, but trying to come up with something that is as flat as possible without becoming a radio transmitter in the "audible range" is a headache
Not bragging at all. Most of the time I hear things should be easy. I rarely find things to be easy. Flat frequency 20 to 20k through a system. Easy! Few must actually check because my experience has been it’s not easy.

Paul, one "easy" test is to poke in the signal from a square wave generator at each stage, then "eyeball" the results on an oscope at the output of each stage, then combinations. Not a definitive test, but oddball results are easy to see.

If you can end up with a decent square response through the 10 cascaded stages, you've won at least part of the war <g>.

Bri

Last edited:
Not bragging at all. Most of the time I hear things should be easy. I rarely find things to be easy. Flat frequency 20 to 20k through a system. Easy! Few must actually check because my experience has been it’s not easy.
I service a lot of audio gear and I use a signal generator that goes up to 20 MHz to ensure that the LF stuff going up to 75KHz can be tested properly. I do console service to Neve, Harrison, Amek, MCI, Yamaha and so on and the hardest part is getting all channels sounding the same!

Last edited:
I service a lot of audio gear and I use a signal generator that goes up to 20 MHz to ensure that the LF stuff going up to 75KHz can be tested properly. I do console service to Neve, Harrison, Amek, MCI, Yamaha and so on and the hardest part is getting all channels sounding the same!
Amen, bro. IIRC, my function generator only goes up to 1 MHz....but usually good enough. To wander above 1 MHz would have to dust off my RF generator! lol

Bri

We have totally hijacked this "wire stripper" thread. hmm....

I honestly never intentionally used my RF generator as a source into a mic preamp/whatever.

"Hmmmmm...lemme see if I can piss off this circuit with a large blast at 50 MHz...." <g>

Bri

Amen, bro. IIRC, my function generator only goes up to 1 MHz....but usually good enough. To wander above 1 MHz would have to dust off my RF generator! lol

Bri
I get most of my test and service gear etc these days as Christmas and birthday presents from my wife. She gets jewellery! Hmmmm I wonder who’s winning there - maybe a new car 🚗 is a possibility.
A good blast of RF might wake up a few cracked resistors and leaky caps. I think it’s more likely to kill the sig-gen.
I think you’re right about hijacking.

BTW, I never try to see if an audio device can pass a 1 MHz square wave...

Bri
I did build an RF multicore from a mic cable once back in the late ‘70s - 12 phase locked loops as FM transmitters at one end and another 12 as receivers at the other end - the red wire was the transmitter antenna and the white wire was the receiver antenna and ground was ground - I wanted to create a one wire multicore - unfortunately I never pursued the idea even though it worked.

Re hijacking....somewhere on this forum is a post about my fights with an audio desk at a large church....CB radio from truckers on the interstate highway were breaking into the church services with foul-mouthed remarks.

Bri

Re hijacking....somewhere on this forum is a post about my fights with an audio desk at a large church....CB radio from truckers on the interstate highway were breaking into the church services with foul-mouthed remarks.

Bri
I tuned one of my transmitters to the audio side band of the local TV station that some kids were watching in their lounge in the house next door and started to talk to them in a deep voice telling them “this is God speaking” - they called their parents in to hear “God” but as soon as they came into the room I stopped, as soon as the parents walked out I started again. We were in our lounge peeking over the windowsill in darkness so they couldn’t see us.

Maybe the VU is falling off in response
I've been double checking with a Fluke 8060A and the roll off really seems to be there. It is complicated by the selected monitor position and a couple of other things. I have to go through things in a number of permutations before I'm convinced what I'm measuring is real.

I've been double checking with a Fluke 8060A and the roll off really seems to be there. It is complicated by the selected monitor position and a couple of other things. I have to go through things in a number of permutations before I'm convinced what I'm measuring is real.
Maybe try looking with a scope, see what you get before and after the 100ft run as well.

Maybe try looking with a scope, see what you get before and after the 100ft run as well.
I don't have a single 100ft run or 10 cascaded active stages with a -3dB point at 50K. It's way more complicated than that. There is a lot of investigating to do.

Latest posts

Back