Food prices

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
while still buying fresh vegetables or better yet grow some to supplement. I always have a herb garden in a large planter. This is assuming you have some ground. But don’t cities have some garden growing areas around?
One of the best things at Costco is quality frozen vegetables. They are often better then the fresh vegetables at the supermarket or the vegetable stand.

Why would I read a book by an ideologue? I'm done with ideology and only interested in facts.
Well, there is more to humanity than pure rationality, for one thing. I mean, here you are on a DIY forum focused on capturing/amplifying musical performances, right? Art is not rational.

Turchin presents a scientific analysis of processes within societies (it's falsifiable). This is something fundamentally different from the tradtional approach to history. That's why I recommend it.
Yes, we've seen your multiple references and, as I said before, I will read one of his several books. I'm not a big believer in models that try to represent large and complex behavior or systems.

And don't give me the self-victimizing "you don't understand us" talk again. Don't be such a snowflake.
Your petty attacks (based on ignorance, assumptions, and gross generalizations) on my country and many of the people who inhabit it don't make me feel victimized. They are an irritant, like a mosquito buzzing around a dark room on a warm summer night. The urge to swat is similar.

Your petty attacks (based on ignorance, assumptions, and gross generalizations) on my country and many of the people who inhabit it don't make me feel victimized. They are an irritant, like a mosquito buzzing around a dark room on a warm summer night. The urge to swat is similar.
Where did I attack "your country"? Let's not confuse political commentary with aggressive behaviour towards a state, and especially, its people.

I haven't eaten Mexican out since I found the quajillo (dried marisol) pepper. I get them dried, bake them to desiccate them (don't like frying them because they burn and I do not like burned anything) and grind my own powder as needed. That is another magic powder in the kitchen. I can't do "chili powder" spicy, so the guajillo is stronger than a bell pepper, softer than a jalapeno, and I like the ranchero flavor, like in birria tacos. Search any birria recipe and it is very simple to make with a mixture of short ribs and chuck roast/steak on sale. Another "stew" type recipe. A 30+ year learning curve starting with McCormick "chili seasonon
Anything homemade will be of better ingredients, have YOUR germs in it, and tweaked the way you and yours like it.
Same with chinese food. I am almost done eating it at a restaurant. With anything it's all about the sauce, and a gas cooker. I have learned that italian and chinese stove dishes have to get flamed to bring out the flavor. I'm still flinging stuff on the floor learning how to "flip" into a flame, but I am getting there.

Pennies Polenta, serves 4 as a side or 2 as a meal
-soak 1/2C regular medium grind corn meal in 1C of milk for 15 min
-in a sauce pan, bring 2C stock/broth of your choice (or water) to boil with
-1 tsp each garlic powder, mushroom powder*, salt (maybe not, depending on the stock), pepper, fresh/dried leafy herb basil or cilantro or thyme or oregano whatever pairs with the main course (I use way more than this, but start small) put what you like
-add the milk/corn meal to the boiling stock, bring back to a boil stirring, cover tight and reduce heat to just barely bubbling at all, just above movie lava. On my stove I use a lift because the low burner is too hot
-barely simmer for 30-40 minutes, if it gets thick the heat is too high and you add more liquid and lower the heat
*dried wild, porcini, chanterelle, or other mushrooms ground in a coffee grinder. another magic kitchen powder
Serve creamy (with butter) or pour and solidify in a pan to cut into pieces for fried or grilled polenta (REALLY good!) High cuisine at low cost.
I usually serve with fried mushrooms gravy, or any stew on top. The most expensive ingredient is the mushrooms, unless we collected them.
Mike

One of the best things at Costco is quality frozen vegetables.
I also like the frozen fruit. I buy the cherries and strawberries. I combine with A banana and some Stevia and usually milk but you can use water. I use a ninja blender to make smoothies
taste great and no spoiled fruit.

Same with the vegetables. I can take a handful of frozen mixed vegetables, make an omelette and not waste anything or have it go bad.

I get the cherries too. I like cherry crumble/cobbler. Also have them with whipped cream.

I just spent $86 at Walmart for one weeks groceries.... There were several purchases in there that will last more than one week (like mouth wash) but food prices continue to creep up. Beef was a lot worse than chicken (I bought both).

I also like the frozen fruit. I buy the cherries and strawberries. I combine with A banana and some Stevia and usually milk but you can use water. I use a ninja blender to make smoothies

I like the sliced frozen strawberries. Sometimes I make kefir (fermented milk) and blend in some frozen strawberries or frozen blueberries. I use sucralose as a non-nutritive sweetener. These days I just eat the frozen strawberries still frozen.

JR

I remember some 8 years ago when I used to live in Columbus, OH, a friend of mine invited me to a Mexican restaurant to get a very ethnic or regional dish called "Menudo", I said to myself: "Menudo in Columbus, OH? I think I'll pass", I declined his invitation several times, until one day I said ok. It was one of the best Menudo I've ever had, we became regular customers and friends with the owner.

I have pointed this out before, this attitude of "justified attack" against the US is coming from a few members here, but it is widespread all over the place, not only here at GDIY. Somehow, everyone's country has to be respected, except the US, which is fair game. I am aware that the US represents a global power and its influence on world matters make it a somehow public topic, but that doesn't give people the right to throw out attacks.

It is the same with Christianity (particularly Catholics), it has become the last acceptable mocking issue, those SJW who defend any religion or cultural norm are free to mock Christianity. You are not allowed to even mention that being fat is unhealthy, because you would be fat shaming, but mocking Christians or the US, go ahead, go crazy.

It has to stop.

I remember some 8 years ago when I used to live in Columbus, OH, a friend of mine invited me to a Mexican restaurant to get a very ethnic or regional dish called "Menudo", I said to myself: "Menudo in Columbus, OH? I think I'll pass", I declined his invitation several times, until one day I said ok. It was one of the best Menudo I've ever had, we became regular customers and friends with the owner.
There are(?) a couple small real Mexican restaurants in the big city(?) near me (Meridian). As well as a representation of the fake mexican food chains. Wherever there is a local mexican community, there will be decent mexican food. There were enough living in the area to support at least two small restaurants.

Here is my Peavey anecdote. Last century while I was managing the mixer engineering group I was hiring a new engineer to expand my staff. I brought this candidate in from southern CA. to interview. After our morning's interviews I turned him over to the HR lady to take him out to lunch. Afterwards I got pretty angry when I learned that she took him out to the local Taco Smell for lunch :rolleyes: ..... He certainly knows what real mexican food is, not that. The good news is that he joined us and was still working at Peavey long after I left.

JR

There are(?) a couple small real Mexican restaurants in the big city(?) near me (Meridian). As well as a representation of the fake mexican food chains. Wherever there is a local mexican community, there will be decent mexican food. There were enough living in the area to support at least two small restaurants.

Here is my Peavey anecdote. Last century while I was managing the mixer engineering group I was hiring a new engineer to expand my staff. I brought this candidate in from southern CA. to interview. After our morning's interviews I turned him over to the HR lady to take him out to lunch. Afterwards I got pretty angry when I learned that she took him out to the local Taco Smell for lunch :rolleyes: ..... He certainly knows what real mexican food is, not that. The good news is that he joined us and was still working at Peavey long after I left.

JR
It is funny, because many of the food in the US being sold as "Mexican" is not Mexican at all, but rather Tex-Mex. Even some of the Mexicans in the US preparing such dishes have told me that they make them because people like it and assume it is Mexican. For example, the "hard" tortilla taco is your own baby, I have never seen a hard taco in Mexico in my life. For instance, Chipotle only has a Mexican-sounding name, food there is 100% Tex-Mex. Don't get me wrong, Tex-Mex food is also great, it is a blending of two cultures and I like it as well.

The Mexican restaurant around the corner from work is one of the only good affordable restaurants in the neighborhood. It’s a family run place. They are from Puebla. I think what we get in NY is different than what you get out west. Mostly black beans instead of refried pinto beans. Different dishes too. I’ve eaten there multiple time a week for over ten years and I’ve never been poisened. They run a tight ship.

The Mexican restaurant around the corner from work is one of the only good affordable restaurants in the neighborhood. It’s a family run place. They are from Puebla. I think what we get in NY is different than what you get out west. Mostly black beans instead of refried pinto beans. Different dishes too. I’ve eaten there multiple time a week for over ten years and I’ve never been poisened. They run a tight ship.
The ones I like most are refried beans, frijoles charros are also great.

We make condensed cranberry juice from frozen cranberries regularly. Last week they did not have it, so we made raspberry juice instead. Dilute with freezing cold fizzy water, just heavenly refreshing.

Is it a Mexican West Coast vs East Coast thing? I know Puebla I central in the mountains. Black beans are a carribean thing.
I am not sure, but yes, there are many differences between regions. Puebla is in central Mexico, AFAIK, refried beans are more common there, while whole beans like black beans or frijoles charros are more common in the north, closer to Texas, Arizona, etc.... Food from States near the gulf and the Pacific tend to be more Caribbean as you say

Is it a Mexican West Coast vs East Coast thing? I know Puebla I central in the mountains. Black beans are a carribean thing.
Last century I traveled to Mexico for business. Our Mexican (Peavey) distributer put on a huge dealer meeting/show for all his Mexican dealers. It was held inside some fancy resort in central Mexico (the ones with barbed wire fences surrounding them). I just about drank them out of Dos Equis the first night but they brought in reinforcements. :cool:

Before this meeting I thought I knew what Mexican food was, but we had one private dinner with the distributor and the Peavey crew where we were served several dishes that I could not even recognize, like corn smut (fungus). Apparently what North Americans think is Mexican food is the inexpensive working man's meals. Good tasting and filling but nothing like the specialty dishes we were served that night. When I asked about them I was informed that they were only served at major family holiday get togethers, like our big thanksgiving dinners or equivalent.

I never saw anything like those dishes since inside the US.

JR

Back