Freed 38166 Lang PEQ Transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image dump...

i36gpz.jpg

24bw9xc.jpg

3340xf5.jpg

346kv0m.jpg

2qlg4ur.jpg

xddtef.jpg

24edkp3.jpg

ygg7a.jpg

i5d47a.jpg

21e48zm.jpg

n54eab.jpg

1582uy1.jpg

15nx8uc.jpg

2wn625y.jpg

2qir982.jpg

hwzmsp.jpg

you say you want more? well here's more...

2ur7dxl.jpg

ne7wcy.jpg

14tbtcm.jpg

first layer unwind, so flip it over to wind, that will be your starting margin,

2cpx5bm.jpg

looks like 277t  277t  480 t , repeat for coil b and hook them up balanced.

there is a wire screen (you use mag wire instead of foil,  less loss on high end)  between pri/sec

c core is 1 inch strip, probably 4 mil, grain, 3/8 build, 1 9/16"  x  5/8" window

e f g h are the core dims. ask any xfmr guy about e f g h and they speak the same lingo,

so you guys learn your e f g h window dims for c cores, will ya?

print up manana...

drpat said:
Biasrocks, are you sure that these are Lang filter schematics? That Torwico number is a Pulse Techniques (tapped choke) part number. Also, the filter schematics don't jive with any of the Lang EQ's that I've ever used. Definitely not a PEQ-2(A). Or PEQ-1,3or4 for that matter.

These drawings were passed to me from a reliable source. I've have never verified the schematic of the filter section myself.

Perhaps we should try to do this.  ???

BTW: Thanks for uploading the PEQ-2 manual. I've had a pair for a couple of decades, and I've never seen a manual for them.

You're welcome. :)

Beautiful sounding EQ's.

Mark

you're going to have to do something custom about the inductor
anyway if you're building a Lange ?

Hey Cj , have you dared , is the time right
to Hack the 217-D  ? [ yeah i don't got one ]

WTF over ?

this is the output that i am hacking,

looking for an input on evilbay , any year now...

Pat has a 217 D but we already have enuff info to build one, maybe i will build one and send it to Pat to do a side by side.

was that Igor that provided that Lang filter section?

drpat said:
Do you have any idea of who drew these?

Sorry Pat, no idea.

I'm curious, do they correspond to any Pultec filter section that we know of? That would help to solve the problem.
It doesn't look to match the EQP-1A.

Perhaps some surgery is in order.  :eek:

Mark

Sorry for the OT, but looking at the PEQ-2 and PEQ-2A schematics, the output amps are different.  The "2" is simpler than the "2A", and the 33vdc is coupled differently.  Anyone had the opportunity to compare the sound of these circuits?  I'm curious to know the difference.

PEQ-2:
PEQ-2circuit.png

PEQ-2A:
PEQ-2Acircuit.jpg

Also, CJ, how much DC could the primaries of that output iron handle, do you think?

JC

I would not trust the schematics
PEQ-2  has the + going to + and ground, look at points A, B, D and K power supply looks to be drawn shorted
PEQ-2A again look at the power supply wiring

One would need to work out the rest of the schematic to make sure it is correct

A nice Peq-2 just went on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300365426990&ssPageName=h:h:alt:3&autorefresh=true

Still a bargain compared to the Pultec equivalent.

Went up almost $1K in the minute. :)

Mark

Hi. I know this is an old thread but it has very useful and rare information. It does not seem that anyone has tried to build this transformer and I was thinking about giving it a go. One bit of information that seems to be missing is the AWG of the primary and secondary magnet wire.  I  was wondering if CJ still had this information?

Thank you.

Also there is a wire screen between the primary and secondary.  Could AWG on that be figure?  Is the screen winding a single layer wound tight and neat like the pictures? Is that screen grounded on one end only or both ends?

Anything you can remember is appreciated.

Back