Freed 38166 Lang PEQ Transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
> screen grounded on one end only or both ends?

"Both ends" would make a shorted winding. Bad.

Conceptually we could wrap metal foil, being careful to insulate the overlap (so not a shorted turn).

In a wire-winding room we can "make a foil" by laying wire (we got a ton of it!) shoulder to shoulder all the way across. Yes, any crap landing at one side may have to travel through many feet of wire to reach a drain wire at the other end. But for crap coming "through air", any length of wire is "nothing" to the crap current.

PRR. 'Shorted turn, bad'. It's painfully obvious now that you said something. I had never heard of a shield of wire before and did not think of it that way.  Also I have not wound a transformer that had a shield before so I have not even thought about keeping it from becoming a shorted turn. It is interesting to think how the resistance of the wire will interact with the low pass filter created with the shield.

CJ. Thanks. Is the former/bobbin made of cardboard? Could you estimate the thickness? Is there any insulation between the winding layers such as kraft paper?

Scott.

Back