Frontplate Painting - how to?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engels

Hi,

lil OT: today ssl components has been shipped.  ;D Since I have a week or more time, I started thinking about the design of my custom ssl comp.

So, as you can imagine, I'm not looking for a perfect clone of the gssl, I tend to customize everything that my hands touch  :)
Using the greatest CAD ever made (Inkscape  ::) ), I came up with this design:

dqi1.png

HD version  ;D http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8575/zzeh.png

The first and only problem is that it has a lot of colors, and decals seems not to be suitable enough (they seems to be good for black labels).
One way that I found is the istant colour press directly on the frontplate, but I can't find someone that can do the job; It's kind of frustrating, but I do not give up!
I'm looking forward on your answers, since here people knows what a "rack frontplate" is... (this is referred to the previous frustration ahah).
mmm something else ehm.. the frontplate has no holes yet (aside screw holes)

8mrs.jpg

So I repeat the main question: how do I imprint my drawing to an aluminum plate?

Other Trivia:

Ah here what I mean for customization, did you noticed that the bypass knob is different?
I'm waiting to receive a singular knob with an acrylic inlay that will suit to my design.
Here it is, with black plating http://www.qparts.com/index.php/knob/dome/acrylic-aqua-pearl-dome-knob.html#.Uci1jfmR6h0
I think this could be a really good way to customize bare and tedious rack units, I hope I have given you ideas with this  ;)

I honestly never saw so much interest on gears aspect, but this is comprehensible since the interior is more important... 
But why the exterior is such ignored?  :-X

Thanks all and byebye!

oh a reply! a reply! ehm...
can you explain better?  :)

edit: the realization!
I think this is not a good way, I used it once for a synth I made, and scratches easily ruins the transparent film

With so many colors, a huge, custom vinyl sticker may be your best bet. Some pro gear, such as the Coleman monitor controllers use vinyl stickers.

Seems that the resistance/endurance depends by the quality of the film...
That's even more frustrating since someone gave me a low quality film for my old synth..    :'(

I think I'm going for a f***ing big sticker, using a good transparent film  :p
If so, I assume that I have to drill the plate before apply the drawing, right?

Thanks all for the replies!

Engels said:
If so, I assume that I have to drill the plate before apply the drawing, right?

Definitely, though you may want to have the front panel CNC'ed or at least use a manual mill with a digital display so that you can be sure hole locations will match the sticker.

http://www.papilio.com/

I want to try some of this inkjet vinyl, it seems to hold the colour well.

This is what Devi Ever uses for her stompboxes, but I think the trick to long lasting panels it to put a layer of the clear film over the initial print.
http://www.papilio.com/other%20poly%20focus%20satin%20over%20laminate.html

Peter

I don't know how accessible this is to DIY but the commercial faceplate escutcheons I use on my product are back printed on a clear film/vinyl. This allows LEDs or displays to be read through clear areas. This may be too thick for common printers but a thin back printed film could be mated to a second thicker piece of clear film. 

This may not be the exact look you want, but it offers more color rich design flexibility than simple silk screened faceplates, with perhaps zero tooling for one-off DIY projects. (I paid tooling on mine, probably too much  :-\ ).

JR

reso_2_2.gif

It ended like this:

ecey.jpg

Modified file, modified layout, and It's 80% like what I've imagined  ;D
there are a bunch of error, especially one green coloured scratch that they brutally made with unknown techniques.
then, the image is not aligned properly and I really think I could do the job better (really, I'm unemployed, assume me plz!  ;D)
But like I said before, I'm satisfied for a good 80%...
And also, writes have now a shiny and bumpy effects on them that is really cool.

well, time to finish my ssl, today I finished the pcb and I'm ready to go, finally  ::)

Back