GDIY51 as PSU for mixer (A&H system 8 1616)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrisizer

hey,
i arrive at a decision to reactivate my old 80s console a&h system 8 1616. i simply like my mixes done on this board (even if its not an high end console... the typical 80s tl72/ne5534 stuff)

one thing was a bit poor from the bginning: the PSU

now - i even dont know if this original PSU will work anymore - its time for an upgrade... the original PSU is a 7815/7915 based with 1 ampere for 15V and 100ma for 48v

ive seen the GDIY51 PSU has a +/-16V rail at 2,2 ampere and phantom power. (24V stuff on PCB would simply be left blank).

may i have any problem to use the GDIY51 PSU for that purpose?
(the original replacement PSUs as Allen & Heath MPS 14 are really damn expensive....)

I see no problem but I´m not tech. If you don´t need the 24v, there´s the  VPR box that has 16v instead. I think you could power a VPR rack and the mixer from the same PS or maybe plug two A&H desks for stereo mixing  ;)

Seems like the GDIY51X PSU would be fine.
I'm surprised - I'd think with all those lights and meters and stuff it would draw more than an amp per rail.
I revived an old console recently with an ebay bought Acopean PSU - total cost was around $60.  No +48 though. 
I forget the exact specs but it's approximately +/-15.5v at 4 amps.

thx for answers!

yes really 1 ampere for the original PSU. it is said that the underrated powersupply is the big drawback of this board (as more channels in use, the sound gets bad). i replace the lamps with LEDs because the lamps die faster than fruit flies ;) so the overall power consumption should be a bit lower too... but with ampere of 51psu im on the safe side anyway.

Latest posts

Back