getting organized in the new year + goals check-in

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just grokking the brilliance of this "band system".

Our tax is supposed to base on "fair market value". Assessment was well over $200K. The house had been on the market for many months, price dropped a couple times, before we grabbed it at $150K. As there had been ample time for other buyers to offer more, arguably 150 WAS the fair value, and should be the assessment.

This is complicated by two factors. One is the general price-slump in those years. This will work-out as the town applies economic corrections town-wide. But also the owner was in bad shape, so the house got run-down. This is a large part of why even his bank's own appraiser said "take 150 and be happy".

OK, so the town appraiser agreed the place had run-down since the last look-over and knocked the appraisal down for that. General economic factor corrected the market downturn.

BUT under the Band System the amount we got knocked-down for decrepitude probably would NOT have changed our Band. In a marginal case, maybe-- £165K to £155K moves from G to F, £340/year less. More likely £200K to £150K which is both band G, no change.

Further your system is not current market value but a number set in 1991. I would have to show that a mistake has been allowed to stand for 26 years. And apparently the condition of the shanty has no bearing in your system.

So a LOT less work for the tax assessors. They only have to entertain the few marginal cases, and the New Build cases. Brilliant!

> add extensions without being reassessed

That might not work here, especially in Maine.

Example: Lincolnville Lobster Pound (slow server). 100 years ago this was a 1,000 square foot house. Bit by bit the porches were enclosed, upstairs dormers added, a commercial kitchen built-on, floor and roof put over the outdoor picnic tables, gift shop, etc, so now it runs nearly 10,000 sq.ft. It is also a very visible spot on the main coastal road. As the 2nd largest economic engine of the town, all this add-on carried much of the town's new infrastructure costs. It is assessed at $910K, pays $14K tax-- clearly keeping up with current value, even over-assessed now.

Attached graph shows a typical house "value" plotted by a robotic data server. It reflects the boom/bust around 2008. The later rises are over-extrapolated: housing sales have been very slow and the graph spikes suggest single sales are bumping the algorithm. I am sure the place could not sell at $300K. A much larger nicer house on the same road is listed at $270K and I bet it sits a long time (maybe reduced in price) before a buyer appears. OTOH we just saw a house which was valued near $200K a few years ago and we do not think it is worth the $35K now asked.

Assessment of new builds is also fairly straightforward. They don't even need to know the market value. All they do is draw up a list of 'similar' properties in the neighbourhood (which can mean an entire town) and use the band that most of these are currently in. Last time we had this done they provided details of 6 properties in the same town that were similar to ours. All but one were in the same band so that was what we were assessed as.

Cheers

Ian

Finally got my goals in order and ready start, funny how the first two months flew by stuck with commitments. Funny how something like working namm for four days can put a person so far behind.  A lot leads up to it and a lot comes after it. 

1. get a new home bench up and running as the old one got dismantled to get streamlined. 

2. get some assistance in design and layout of a few  projects, hopefully someone local.

3. find studio space(a project started with a friend of mine)

that should last the year.

My main goals this year are:

1) Build a chromatic marimba for myself (not just to sell to others) so that I can start teaching marimba online....already started on the build
2) Come up with a new modular way of constructing all the marimbas so that they can fit into international flight cases for touring...may go on the back burner until #3 becomes more of a reality.
3) Focus on building my Patreon community so that over the next two years we can transition our teaching income to be completely online so we can go move to Maui in a few years.

I was able to put a few solid days in on this!

I may start a thread cause I am doing an "andy" version and decluttering the power section and junk.
can cap, 120V action only-no AC tag strip, rectifier to can cap lug, 600ohm in out only.

2017......head down and stay the course  ::)

Sadly, I don't see the C12 happening anytime soon. can't afford the blingy capsule...

Attachments

• IMG_7383.JPG
    IMG_7383.JPG
    725.6 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back