GSSL add-on help thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not afraid of making mistakes.. I don't wanna electrocute myself obviously or blow up my unit.

That being said, I can't go back and try out a misunderstood advice/solution to something and mess it up because I thought I got it.. I don't see any reason to do that :)

If someone says: "go solder that red wire to the purple wire". That I can understand and that I will do with confidence because I understand it and I believe in myself that im capable of doin :)
If I don't understand the action, then I can't go do the "mistake".

What happens if it doesn’t work? The best of us make mistakes. You’re building troubleshooting skills and learning to comprehend schematics. Other than the power section the rest of the circuit is low voltage. In regards to the power switch. What type power socket are you using? i go straight to chassis from the power socket ground. You can take the earth from there although it’s not necessary. Positive goes through the fuse then to the switch. Neutral is the only other one you need. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
+1 for keeping one hand in your pocket when working with mains, that way you can't get killed (in Denmark at least, because of our mandatory hFi-relays, GFI for you over on the other side)

What happens if it doesn’t work? The best of us make mistakes. You’re building troubleshooting skills and learning to comprehend schematics. Other than the power section the rest of the circuit is low voltage. In regards to the power switch. What type power socket are you using? i go straight to chassis from the power socket ground. You can take the earth from there although it’s not necessary. Positive goes through the fuse then to the switch. Neutral is the only other one you need. Hope that helps.
My plan is to take the ground from powerswitch to the chassis, yes.
Other than that, I'm still not sure what to wire from what. I have no knowledge..

Unfortunately, I don't know what to do with the info I discovered from the continuity of pins. It doesn't tell me anything... I still don't know what to do from here! Yes, I'm that much of a noob :(

If anyone knows what needs to be connected to what, please share your knowledge & guidance.
I'm crying for help here!

Attachments

• trafo2.jpg
    trafo2.jpg
    998.4 KB · Views: 1
  • trafoWire.jpg
    trafoWire.jpg
    910.2 KB · Views: 0
  • tempImageRnynZc.png
    tempImageRnynZc.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 1
  • tempImageadHPj5.png
    tempImageadHPj5.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 1
  • trafo.jpg
    trafo.jpg
    1,008.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
If anyone knows what needs to be connected to what, please share your knowledge & guidance.
I'm crying for help here!
I think everyone here (rightly) will be very cautious about helping you wire the high-voltage mains part of this build. Many things could go wrong here if there is even a minor miscommunication and lots of smoke and potential fire could be the outcome.

I would suggest finding a local electrician to help with this part.

Okay, I can understand & respect that. I get that people don't wanna be responsible for any damages. But then again, what is this forum for then..? only for people to show off their creations and make smart comments here & there?

But on the other hand, if a competent user saw this problem and had the solution on hand, I believe he/she would share this info with me. I mean, why not, if they know the answer.

Only sense I can make of this, is if people don't know how to solve this and maybe that's why they're quiet...
just a thought :D

I might after all look for someone professional and pay them, which is counterproductive. If I had money to hire an electrician, I would have purchased the bus compressor from SSL directly or a second hand DIY from Reverb from the beginning and be done with it. I actually rather sell all the parts I have as is, rather than give up and pay an electrician, who may or may not be able to solve this.

Last edited:
But on the other hand, if a competent user saw this problem and had the solution on hand, I believe he/she would share this info with me. I mean, why not, if they know the answer.
I find it difficult to take this comment seriously.

Man, if you think you're going to get help with that kind if attitude you're in for a surprise. Maybe dial the attitude back a bit?

Wait, what's wrong? It sounds like I have offended you.
If I have, I apologies.

I'm sorry, but I don't see what you're talking about. What attitude? tell me what I said wrong, and ill dial it back.

Is this correct?
NO !
Depending on 230V/110V-setting of your voltage selector switch, either doing nothing or the short is hopefully blowing the mains fuse before the house burns down.

This hookup should operate for switchable 230V/110V AC mains.and colour coding of your mains transformer. Let a qualified person double check your work before powering on.

This hookup should operate for switchable 230V/110V AC mains.and colour coding of your mains transformer. Let a qualified person double check your work before powering on.
That's actually a great idea. I'm gonna try this and do some tests myself, before a professional does a quality check.
Looks promising, thank you very much Harpo for the great work. I'm very exited 😆

This hookup should operate for switchable 230V/110V AC mains.and colour coding of your mains transformer.
Hey Harpo, I've been studying your work and im about to wire the trafo Primary to V-switch.
I just wanna double check the wiring before I solder.

According to the trafo diagram, on 110V parallel:
white & purple together to Main IEC (L) powerswitch
orange & yellow to IEC 2 (N) powerswitch.

When I look at your circuit, I see purple goes to N and yellow goes to L, instead of the other way around
(according to trafo-diagram.

Is this correct or it doesn't matter if opposite?

On the V-switch, I'm bridging 2A with 1A, right?

Thanks again for your great work
https://www.don-audio.com/GSSL-Audio-Toroidal-Transformer-Prim-2-x-115-Sec-2-x-15v-Center-tap

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 17.13.59.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 17.13.59.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Doesn't matter (your attachment already said so 'or reverse')
Bridging 2a with 1a for the 230VAC transformer primary windings series connection ist correct.

Doesn't matter (your attachment already said so 'or reverse')
Bridging 2a with 1a for the 230VAC transformer primary windings series connection ist correct.
That's what I thought.. but I'm glad you confirmed, now I am sure.
Thanks for your time, Harpo! I'm gonna go solder right away.

Let a qualified person double check your work before powering on.
Okay, I've soldered the primary trafo to the voltage switch.
I haven't connected the secondaries to anything, except red & orange are now soldered.
The switch is set to 230V (2A & 2 have continuity, 1A & 1 have continuity).

When I turn the power on, I get the measurements 234VAC between 2B and 1B, as expected.
116VAC between 2 and 2B.
116VAC between 1 and 1B.

I don't get any measurements on the middle pins: 2 & 1 or the bridged pins: 2A and 1A.

Is this as expected?

On the secondaries I get:
18VAC between red/orange and black.
18VAC between red/orange and blue.
36VAC between black and blue.

Is this also expected?

Attachments

• miamiboy_gssl_115-230.png
    miamiboy_gssl_115-230.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
as expected. Mains voltage isn't a constant and may vary by +/-10% depending on location and/or time of day. Secondary voltage is expected without load connected and higher mains.

Secondary voltage is expected without load connected and higher mains.
Great Harpo, it looks like we've made a succesfull working PSU. Thank you very much for your expertise.

Regarding the secondaries:
So the red/orange are the middle pin for main pcb or CRC board in my case, I guess that means they're Ground?
And black or blue is postive / negative? Or just doesn't matter which is which?

Latest posts

Back