GSSL add-on help thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How to add SSC board to GSSL -- proceed in steps.

- Confirm vanilla GSSL is functioning properly, including SC OFF switching, if you use it (otherwise hardwired for constant IN).
- Hook up power to SSC board and confirm correct voltages on IC sockets on SSC board without ICs inserted.
- Wire up SSC board from 47Ks and confirm SC filter functionality, ICs inserted. Could calibrate tilt now.
- Add and confirm EXT SEND and RETURN, if you want to use it.
- Last step, wire up relay-based SC BYPASS, if you want to use it (--personally I never did, cos first I never got the idea of a SC bypass [I prefer hard bypass] and second why that would need a relay--).

How to add SSC board to GSSL -- proceed in steps.

- Confirm vanilla GSSL is functioning properly, including SC OFF switching, if you use it (otherwise hardwired for constant IN).
- Hook up power to SSC board and confirm correct voltages on IC sockets on SSC board without ICs inserted.
- Wire up SSC board from 47Ks and confirm SC filter functionality, ICs inserted. Could calibrate tilt now.
- Add and confirm EXT SEND and RETURN, if you want to use it.
- Last step, wire up relay-based SC BYPASS, if you want to use it (--personally I never did, cos first I never got the idea of a SC bypass [I prefer hard bypass] and second why that would need a relay--).
It's working fine with back to vanilla, so will try adding it back in working through your steps.

I suspect the switch wiring was wrong.

Regarding GSSL add-on's.

I said it before and I wanna mention it again. I wish someone would put all the fixes and add/ons into a single new GSSL board. Switchable Turbo/GSSL mode, HPF sidechain and a blend control. Would be really cool! :)

@desol ,

I've been thinking of this, but my impression is that many builders seem to learn a lot from implementing these "wild" mods, there's a certain motivation connected to it, and a gradual progression of difficulty. A redesign would revert it to paint-by-numbers, not what we're really about..

/Jakob E.

Regarding GSSL add-on's.

I said it before and I wanna mention it again. I wish someone would put all the fixes and add/ons into a single new GSSL board. Switchable Turbo/GSSL mode, HPF sidechain and a blend control. Would be really cool! :)
If you are looking for an all in one board, you can get a case/kit from DIY-Recording Equipment or even DIY-Racked, which I use. I also have a GSSL with fixed turbo, quad VCAs, and a Cavendish I/O that I use in parallel with every drum track I mix. The latter of the options allows for one to take the first steps into making more complicated mods to this and other projects. As @gyraf said, the former option would just reduce the exercise to paint by numbers and remove the learning process all together. The GSSL board is probably the best circuit board for beginners to make a leap in their electronics knowledge after they successfully build one with modifications.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:
@desol ,

I've been thinking of this, but my impression is that many builders seem to learn a lot from implementing these "wild" mods, there's a certain motivation connected to it, and a gradual progression of difficulty. A redesign would revert it to paint-by-numbers, not what we're really about..

/Jakob E.

I was looking forward to building another GSSL. I liked the first one I built. It was fun.

But I won't be building another one. It's way too difficult and time consuming to source down all these mod's, etc. There are a bunch of mod's scattered about, in different threads. I don't think I've ever seen a blend control for the GSSL.

I guess the GSSL is about learning (and 'spending' a bunch of time on mod's that hopefully will or won't work).

I have one on mine... It's the Crush N' Blend kit.

Cool! It's actually a feature I need these days, the blend control. It would save fader's on my console. Something else that would be cool is a 'limit' ratio selection or 'crush' switch. So, in addition to the multiple (10+) various mod's/fixes I've seen for the GSSL, there is a blend after all.

Add a limit ratio, HPF side-chain, blend knob and bypass....onto a single new board....with the switch panel. Would be really nice!!

The cool thing about the GSSL is that it invites people to experiment and implement all the mods they want. And naturally not everyone wants or needs all and every single mod.

Last edited:
a 'limit' ratio selection
10:1 qualifies as limiting.

Or do you mean a control signal limiter, which limits the threshold 'depth' (and which would be one diode to ground, I think -- or maybe you rather need a feedback compressor?).

Or if you mean an output limiter, could look at DBX schematics and do one on veroboard.

Last edited:
I do agree on the 'time consuming' aspect of the vanilla board. They are not the easiest boards to work on. Many malfunctions and time spent on troubleshooting could be saved by a more spacious board layout.

Another 'time killer' as of late are fancy bypass switches, it seems.

10:1 qualifies as limiting.

Or do you mean a control signal limiter, which limits the threshold 'depth' (and which would be one diode to ground, I think -- or maybe you rather need a feedback compressor?).

Or if you mean an output limiter, could look at DBX schematics and do one on veroboard.

Hey no....I just meant a 'crush' switch or button similar to the Smart C2 crush thingy. ie: extreme compression setting

Can someone point me in the direction of a gain reduction limiter circuit to limit the amount of gain reduction that could possibly work?

Or has this been done before?

Best

Elysia mpressor, I guess, for FX compression. Unit still in production, so no schematics.

The cool thing about the GSSL is that it invites people to experiment and implement all the mods they want. And naturally not everyone wants or needs all and every single mod.

Nowadays all of these things are pretty standard on many units. I just see no reason to delay a modern board for the GSSL with all the bugs, fixes, mod's, etc ironed out and included. People will still learn from putting it together, troubleshooting, etc...and can still add/modify/experiment with it, if they wanted to I guess. I tried to get the turbo working on mine but I wasn't able to. Something I couldn't figure out. Then I read about a distortion problem when it's in bypass that someone found, a long while ago, etc...and started wondering about my unit when it's in bypass. I ended up selling it, but actually I kinda miss it. I'm not sure the total number of things that could be improved/added. It seems pretty clear to me that this project is begging to be updated, and I think people would be excited/happy about it. That's all.

The(G)SSL, even as vanilla, always struck me as somewhat unusual or 'non-standard' in that it is feed-forward mixed with some feedback.

Personally I never came across a 'bug' as such on the vanilla board or the turbo board.

I have never seen 'latching' here (easy fix though it seems), and SC Off, I'd agree, is a useless function (causing many troubles). Relay-based hard bypass is the way to go.

However, In general, I'd also say : the more complex the circuitry and all possible functions and combinations thereof for people to choose from and implement, the more complex the troubleshooting...

More space between solder joints? Desirable.

While cleaning up my studio, I found the PCBs for a GSSL and a super sidechain that I bought a long time ago. Excited by the discovery, I've decided to dive into the project. As I checked the forum thread to see where the current clone stands, the question popped up – should I bother adding the turbo board? The expataudio site advises against it, but I'm curious about what other folks think.

Looking through the expataudio site, I noticed in the turbo board purchase link it says:

"You'll be able to "bolt on" a turbo to ANY GSSL, and it will be compatible with any sidechain filter PCBs... you'll just need to add a second sidechain filter PCB for the turbo sidechain as well."

Now, I assume that my super sidechain PCB from pcbgrinder can be utilized, and I simply need to acquire another one. Can someone confirm if my assumption is correct?

Back