GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I've been looking to get a 1U enclosure (with panel) for my GSSL.
Basically, I'm looking for 'cream' color but can't find anything.
All of them seem to be either black or white.  :-\

any ideas of where can I find a 'cream' enclosure?
It is also important that I can fit my sifam 14ppm meter on it..

thanks
warpie

well, true..  :)

that's why I said "preferably".
Ok, ignoring the colour of the enclosure, my wuestion would look like this:

Any place in UK for 1U paint panels and enclosures (any color) that will fit the 14ppm meter??
:)

thanks for the interest Jagle

no worries.

im after stuffing my board, waiting on a few more parts, then going to get a friend to make the rack case.

there are some sites,
http://ie.farnell.com/schroff/20860-201/case-multipac-pro-19-1u-220d/dp/1370435
theres one.
what are the dimensions of the meter?

would you be willing to paint it yourself?

according to the datasheed from canfort for the 14ppm sifam meter:

Type 14 :
Miniature type, similar to 24A. Overall dimensions of front frame 49.0mm x 42.0mm.
Panel cutout diameter 39.5mm. Two mounting studs M2 x 10 on a 44.5mm d. circle.

Unfortunately, painting the panel on my own is not an option. I've been trying to finish this project for months and there's just not enough time. I wouldn't like to mess with painting as well.

http://par-metal.com/
think they do colours

well ya.
that should fit in any 1U rack case..

well in that case, looks like your ordering one

cool, thanks Jagle

I'll have a look although it might cost me less to buy something similar from europe  :)

warpie

farnell
is europe based, think they do colours

glad to be of help to someone, ive gotten so much help already off this site haha

Hello All,

Quick question on the voltage regulation +15/-15.

Do these chips run pretty hot? SHould they be mounted to a heat sink?

Hello all,

thanx for being so informative and all, and for giving me the confidence, for a non electricien to start building!

After stuffing the boards and hooking things up, things all looking good, without all the ic's all the voltages seem to be correct, allthough a bit high, 15.30/-15.30 and 12.30 volt on the rails... Is this likely to cause a problem? Furthermore, at the moment I've everything lying around on my desk without the case that is, wat am I suppose to do with the 220 ground? It's just flying at the moment which is kind of scary or isn't it... It this lead suppose to go to the starground and thereby connect it to the pcb...? can't seem to find it anywhere on the forums...

Thanx in advance...

WOAH !
Be careful with that mains voltage and earth !  it can kill you very easily mate !!

For testing without a "case" get yourself a decent sized piece of scrap aluminum or steel.

Drill a few 3mm / 4mm holes so you can bolt on an earth strap or two.
Always strap the mains "earth" to the metal and use another bolt hole for the circuit earth.
If the metal is painted, scrape off the paint around the hole for a good connection.

I have a piece on a large piece of board which also has XLR's and balanced jack sockets in it, it's
a "test rig" if you like.  ( came from a junked 1u case which cost me £8 )
You can also install a few potentiometers and switches to be flexible, wire them up with alligator
clips - the type with the insulating "sleeve" over the clip ends.
Or just drill some 6mm / 8mm holes for your pots to be attached in a temporary way.
Any circuit that is built and needs testing can then be safely powered up for measurement / audio

MM.

Hey Mornin' Marty!

Yeah - now that's more advanced than my little "prototyping tray" I had for mine. One more thing is too - Insulate your
stuff well so you can't accidentally touch the mains. You know - stick some gaffer tape over the IEC connector etc.
For the time being, or shrinkhose it right away.

Hey Lukas how's it going ??
Yeah, right on the heat shrink , I just keep well away from it whilst testing but "in the case"
my mains AC points are totally covered up.
Better safe than sorry , you can't put your "tongue" across it like testing a 9v battery !!!!

MM.

hello there...

ok, I will do something about the flying 220 lead... you're probably right, been telling my girlfriend not to touch it allday... :-X

I've got one other question now, I've hooked everything up and all seems to be ok, however, my audio return signal is as clean as hell and easily adjusted with the make-up gain, no compression though, the threshold makes no difference at all... what the hell? ???

Don't know jet what seems to be the prob.. some troubleshooting today I guess, thanx you all, I am thrilled with all the equipment I'm going to be DIYing...

If it's a ground lead and it's flying - basically it's just as though a cable was dangling off your heating...no danger there (except if it hits one of your rails and shorts stuff out).

Check the sidechain VCA and make sure it's not backwards - if all the VCA's are pointing in the same direction, it is  ;)

Has anyone ever used the 1RU joggle case from holtbroadcast with a sifam 14ppm meter?
Does it fit?

I'm talking with a guy from holtbroadcast via emails and he told me that the Bristish 1 RU standard is 43.7mm...

I don't wanna buy it and then find out that it doesn't fit..

thanks,
warpie

Hello there, thanx for all the replies, my comp is looking good now, I wired the bypass wrong, so I only had control over my make-up.

Everything working now though, and sounding extremely good!, am checking now for the right rack and meter. Which is kind of a jungle for me at the moment. I will order my rack from mudushop.biz and I am a bit confused about all the (non)options for meters. Offcourse the Sifam ppm14 is the best option, but a liitle bit expensive.

My research tells me there a couple of options, could someone confirm this please for me, I've searched for the forum on this topic for a long time but there doesn't seem to be a clear answer on this...

Sifam ppm 14, best but expensive
Behringer meter, ok but not that pretty and/or good
SIFAM - 19W0-1MA0-30 - METER, 19W, 0-1MA (available at farnells for little over 40 euro's), seems to be a good alternative 0-1Ma FSD meter, seems like the wrong scale though (fits in 1u rack?)
Modutec meters, look cool, but are not that accurate people say...
Some cheap ass 0-1ma meter from the local shop (about 2 euro's:))

Would be really helpfull if someone could give a clear answer....

Latest posts

Back