GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... i will  :) the gssl is awesome! For my taste a better sounding compression than my dbx 166 ones. wow!

Here is my finished working one  :D:

finished.jpg

finished2p.jpg

is it normal that it does compress more on ratio 2 than on 10? seems to work reversed. is there a trick, flipping two wires or so?
I added the turbo, all other works awesome!

hotbaby said:
is it normal that it does compress more on ratio 2 than on 10? seems to work reversed. is there a trick, flipping two wires or so?
I added the turbo, all other works awesome!

I'm not sure but I do know that changing the ratio does also affect the threshold. Have a look at the schematic and you'll understand.

hotbaby said:
Here is my finished working one  :D:
finished.jpg
Maybe wrong, but it looks like you connected the safety ground of your IEC inlet to the transformers center tap by the violet wire and pcb 0V to case ground by the blue wire instead of a short connection between IEC and case (blank metal spot required for a safe connection, so scrap the isolating paint off in this spot). If anything on your mains voltage inside your box breaks, this 230VAC would have to run thru the blue wire - and thru your gssl - to finaly get to the safety ground connection at the IEC inlet. The blue wire between 0V and safety ground is not needed but YMMV.

i m to afraid for writing the reason for the phaser effect
Come on/out. Might be useful if you make it switchable ;D

:D no no, the IEC ground goes direct to the chassi via the violet wire. Theres a screw that is hidden behind the secondarys on the pic. The blue wire goes to my "star point"...
ok it is probably not a real star point as there is just one cable connected to ;) i scrapped the isolating like you said and twisted the screw very hard for getting a safe contact.

the phaser effect was cause my soundcard, i forgot to mute a a signal way ;)

is the recognized volume becoming lower in your case too, if you switch the ratio from 10 to 2 ??? radiance adviced me to the 1m2 and 1m8 resistors... this could make sense to me with the that the trashholde change too with lower ratio...
My noisefloor is with -101db ok. So grounding seems to work this way ;)

Heres a nightshot with installed turbo.
nightq.jpg

yes this is a pink light. The turbo is blue. It looks so great and it sounds as good. Maybe my mistress girlfriend ;)

Hi,

It just finished a GSSL and it rocks...... :D

but there is a slight problem 1 out 4 times when i power up the +12v rail disapears.
i have replaced all the regulaters and surrounding capacitors.
and it didn't help. no change

could this problem be solved by replacing the 10 ohm resisters leading to the regulaters 78l12 and 79l12 to 100 ohm or more?

thanks juan

hello hotbaby,
if i have good remenber , the knee change when you changed the ratio it's normal

Juan86,
should be a wrong part or wrong stuff.
To know check your  voltage before and fter the regulator , if you don't have the 12v after the regulator,  check your stuff under the opamp perhaps one stuff touch an other  or tr to put it out .

hope will help you

juan86 said:
could this problem be solved by replacing the 10 ohm resisters leading to the regulaters 78l12 and 79l12 to 100 ohm or more?
Yes/no/maybe/telephone joker.
For a less lottery answer we'd need to know your transformer data, if 78L12 is too hot to touch, all connected load to this rail, such as LED(s), meter light, turbo board,  .. . This is DIY and nearly all builds differ.

transformer is noratel 2x 15v 050VA

output 2x 17v ac before the rectifier
after rectifier +22,45 - 22,45
before regulators +22.18 -22.15
after regulators +12,00 -12,28

no meters or LED's  connected only a turboboard.

i would like to ask a PSU question...

My gssl use 202c vca and signetic 553x ics in audio path... * bouth can take 18v
I would like to know if i run it on +/- 18v ... would i get a better sound...as far as i know  VCA will work better....

but will rest of system work fine or not...

@juan86
did you already try a different type/manufacturer of this 78L12? (the type reichelt.de is selling are famous for breaking in this circuit for whatever reason)

case yes, have a look at http://server.elektro.dtu.dk/ftp/database/Data_CDs/Component_data/TI_Designers_Guide_and_Handbook_1997/data/pdf/slvs010d.pdf, pg.14 for output polarity-reversal protection and reverse-bias protection and shown on pg.13 maybe place a 330nF ceramic disc between pin1/2 (input/gnd) or at least close to this regulator.
good luck

edit: oops. Real world pcb differs from schematic. There are already 100nF caps in parallel to the 22uF caps close to the 78L12 and 79L12 input terminals (and not as drawn in parallel to the 1000uF caps at 7815 and 7915 input)

78l12 is made st micro electronics and type = 78l12 ACZ

and i looked at reichelt and it is the same one..

shall i order a different type or try the 0,33 uF ?

Keeping your regulator and with parts at hand, I'd try the 2 diodes (maybe 1N400x) first, as your regulator still is alife and only hangs on startup from time to time. If this regulator hang or shutdown is caused by oscillation, the cap might be 1st choice. edit: see previous post
Other members seem to have solved this or got away with a different type of regulator that reacts less sensitive in this circuit.

Hi guys i finished another GSSL with Greg sidechain board and relay bypass.
I'm having some issues with it....
I've finished and repair around 5 other but this one looks really nice on the scope.
I can barely hear the difference from compressor in vs. hard bypass.
What can cause this?? really i cant smash things up with this!!
I know a gssl can do max squeeze!!

Any help would be apreciated..

Hi All,

I flipped the switch on my first GSSL w/ SSC , PCBs from Gustav, and NO SMOKE !!!  ;D

... however.... the left channel works fine and everything seems to compress and sidechain seems to be doing its thing, but when passing audio through the right channel its distorted and crackly  :'(

With the help from Harpos post on socket readings w/out ICs, everything is great, put ICs in and flipped the switch, checked voltages from a post from Trancedental that listed all the pin readings from a working GSSL, and found that the 5532 in the lower left of PCB, I think thats the right channel  ( if the spot were the onboard power trans is at the Top Center )

I'm getting :

Pin 1 = +13.51 vdc - should be 0.0
      Pin 2 = 0.0 - o.k.
      Pin 3 = 0.0 - o.k.
      Pin 4 = -14.96 - o.k.
      Pin 5 = 0.009   - should be 0.0
      Pin 6 = 0.611  - should be 0.0
      Pin 7 = -13.51 - should be 0.0
      Pin 8 = +14.98

....I  have checked for solder bridges, especially around this IC socket, and found none, ( not to say there isn't any ), but I have looked with a magnifying glass and with meter.

If anyone has an idea where I should concentrate my efforts it would be greatly  appreciated  ;D

Thanks,
              Chip

Hello all, hate to butt in here but i've got a small problem with my new turbo install that's got me scratching my head.

Before install, the GSSL as it was worked fine, no problems at all. I installed the turbo board with a switch option to keep the original GSSL or insert the turbo board. With the switch in the GSSL position, it works fine, just as before, but when switched to turbo mode, an interesting thing happens.

At first it seemed that all sound stopped, but upon closer inspection, the GR meter was pinned, and turning up the makeup gain all the way revealed a faint overly-compressed sound. Seems like the board is overly sensitive or something, makes the unit WAAAAY to sensitive. any faint sound above the sound floor activates it and the resulting sound is very faint. I've inserted several different TL074's and 2181's and also tried some 2180's. This didn't help at all. Checked all orientation of all diode's and other polarized components and everything checks out. Any ideas? I'm game. Thanks.

Hi,
... I guess I should have mentioned that when I first flipped the switch, I had all the opamps and VCAs out as to check the socket voltages, when all looked good, then installed the opamps and vcas, making sure orientation was correct,  that's when I noticed the problem, I also switched the 5532s and got the same result  :'(

... anyone ....

Latest posts

Back