GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Effectively, on the two unit it's impossible that provide to the switch.

I think the level of the pop is very low, because i never noticed, this problem on my GSSL units.

I already try a "shorting" switch on GSSL, without success. The changement of position was very not discreet.

Hi

im about to build a G SSL and i want to use these switches so i get a nice colorfull button for the power and the bypass.

http://cgi.ebay.de/NOS-EAO-01-262-025-DPDT-Rectangular-Illuminated-Switch-/220499034505?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3356c44189

for the powerbutton i know i need a 2-pol one to break the live and the neutral but when it comes to the bypass i think i need some sort of relay to break the power to the lamp also. The thing is i have never buildt anything with a relay before. I know i need some kind of powersupply to it and so on. I have seen others build some sort of small pcb on the side with some components on.

http://gssl.rolandklinkenberg.com/images/relais.jpg

this has probably been answer before, but if someone has some sort of schematic or could point me in the right driection i would be extremly happy.

//Thomas

heya! i got a lil question here and probably calibration is the same for LB and for LA but regardless i wanted to ask..
in the calibration site for THAT 2181. it says on number 3:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0cbdhr
"3. change the 1M resistor from 50K trim pot to the THD connection of the DBX202C circuit to 680K (220K for 2181LB and 130K for 2181LC)."
if im using LA should i use 680k as well?

and other thing.. making the bridges on the GSSL pcb i got other question..

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mlyq7p

the bridge (wire connection) on the top left of the sidechain VCA looks diferent than the rest of them (in between 220k and 3k9 res on the top of the board) do i have to do that one too?

cheers !!

ptron said:
"3. change the 1M resistor from 50K trim pot to the THD connection of the DBX202C circuit to 680K (220K for 2181LB and 130K for 2181LC)."
if im using LA should i use 680k as well?
Yes. (it just says so for the 3 different LA,LB and LC tolerance specced parts)

the bridge (wire connection) on the top left of the sidechain VCA looks diferent than the rest of them (in between 220k and 3k9 res on the top of the board) do i have to do that one too?
It won't work without (control pcb would be missing +12V otherwise). Just compare pcb with schematic.

Hello, still trying to build my GSSL in 2*Mono, I had an idea, can you tell me if it's possible (do I have to change components values,..?):

I want to buy 2 PCB's, and connect the right channel to the original sidechain by the 47K Resistor, and then take the 47K's left right to a second sidechain on the second PCB.

I'm also thinking about the power supply, if I need more power or not for the second sidechain or is the original power supply enough?

Thanks !
Kevin.

sdR said:
Hello, still trying to build my GSSL in 2*Mono, I had an idea, can you tell me if it's possible (do I have to change components values,..?):

I want to buy 2 PCB's, and connect the right channel to the original sidechain by the 47K Resistor, and then take the 47K's left right to a second sidechain on the second PCB.

I'm also thinking about the power supply, if I need more power or not for the second sidechain or is the original power supply enough?

Thanks !
Kevin.
Your problem more likely is, how to make 4 pots, 6 lorlin type switches, 2 meters and maybe 2 switches for bypass and a power on/off fit on an 1HE frontpanel. If it is not supposed to go into 1HE, just build 2 GSSLs and maybe leave out 1 side of the audio path.

My problem is just to know if it's possible to buy the Side chain twice and put one on another PCB fed by the left channel of the simple SSL, to have 2 independant channels.

Just looking for the easiest solution ^^

Thanks for your answer:)

maybe it's a language thing. The sidechain partly is on main pcb as well as on control pcb. For a dual mono build you need both pcb's twice and parts count will be exactly the same, no matter how you decide to split the audio path. For easiest solution reread my previous post.

Yes that's it, I need the two PCB's twice and also the pots and lorlins ^^

But, is there no problem if I link the left channel to the second sidechain without changing the 47K resistor just before the SC input?
And I was asking about the power supply too for the second PCB's, is it needed?

Sorry my english is not perfect ;)

As already said, it would be easier as previously mentioned. (your approach might require the cut of pcb traces for the audio-VCA control voltage return path or some additional wiring to keep paths separate).
Tweaking a single 47k summing resistor for a program dependent previously constant power summing (33k) or constant voltage approach of a correlated signal, or keeping it as is, will be your least important concern. You always could use a min.value resistor and trimmer in series instead to dial in the required value that matches your plan.
Current demand from your power supply depends on parts used. Nearly every build differs. One additional 218x VCA, TL074 and TL072 won't draw much, just use a 2nd set of 78L12/79L12 regulators fed from raw DC of the main supply, or use 7812/7912 regulators. A single incandescent bulb for meter illumination and illuminated switches might draw more than the rest of the complete circuit.

Noob Question: Does anyone have a mini schematic for wiring the Power Transformer up from the IEC input to the On/Off Switch and PCB?

I was planning on having a toggle switch for bypass but the rotary one is looking similar to follow.

Cheers,
Dave

wordave said:
Noob Question: Does anyone have a mini schematic for wiring the Power Transformer up from the IEC input to the On/Off Switch and PCB?

I was planning on having a toggle switch for bypass but the rotary one is looking similar to follow.

Cheers,
Dave
Welcome Dave,
a gereral schematic is already present in the lower left corner on the GSSL schematic, but without any further information for your build, NO!
What's your AC mains voltage ? (updating your location data in your profile might better help others helping you) What type/manufacturer/model-no. is your 'the Power Transformer' ? What type of On/Off switch ? Does your IEC connector already come with integrated holder for a fuse ? Lots of unknown for a buildspecific advise.
A toggle switch for bypass will work, if it is a DPDT, else any permanent (not momentary) switch will work to operate a relay that does the DPDT switching instead.

Harpo said:
As already said, it would be easier as previously mentioned. (your approach might require the cut of pcb traces for the audio-VCA control voltage return path or some additional wiring to keep paths separate).
Tweaking a single 47k summing resistor for a program dependent previously constant power summing (33k) or constant voltage approach of a correlated signal, or keeping it as is, will be your least important concern. You always could use a min.value resistor and trimmer in series instead to dial in the required value that matches your plan.
Current demand from your power supply depends on parts used. Nearly every build differs. One additional 218x VCA, TL074 and TL072 won't draw much, just use a 2nd set of 78L12/79L12 regulators fed from raw DC of the main supply, or use 7812/7912 regulators. A single incandescent bulb for meter illumination and illuminated switches might draw more than the rest of the complete circuit.

Ok thanks very much I will go this way then !

REALLY WEIRD PROBLEM  ???

Today I've tested the 2 units at the studios, for the first 2 hours everything was ok then... A little distortion on both channels started especially at low frequencies. (I was compressing a song with a big fat clean bass sound by Radiohead as a reference).
Then I had lunch... then I've tested the units again and they were fine but after 20 minutes the distortion came up again...

Am I becoming crazy?

After these tests I've listened to the unit with no sounds... There is a little noise that is not stable... like radio frequencies or something like that, so I thought: Can be a ground problem? Then I left the studio and I had a beer! :D

P.S. The units are with turbo (non switchable) and 2 SSC.

If someone of you has an idea of what is happening I'll appreciate.

... And I have other information:

- The distortion increase with ratio 10:1 and with more compression
- if the sidechain filter in engaged it doesn't change the situation

these are some pictures of my units:
tsar1.jpg

tsar2.jpg

tsar3.jpg

tsar4.jpg

tsar5.jpg

I've also read somewhere that to eliminate the pops when you move the rotary switch for the release you need to solder resistors (5 or 4 megaohms) between the lugs of the switch... Is that true?

Thank you,
Alessio

just a quickie here... are these the kind of trimpots i need for distortion and meter adjustment (and do i actually need the meter adjust trimpot?)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=U262R503B-ND

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=262ur502b

thanks !! :)

Harpo said:
Welcome Dave,
a gereral schematic is already present in the lower left corner on the GSSL schematic, but without any further information for your build, NO!
What's your AC mains voltage ? (updating your location data in your profile might better help others helping you) What type/manufacturer/model-no. is your 'the Power Transformer' ? What type of On/Off switch ? Does your IEC connector already come with integrated holder for a fuse ? Lots of unknown for a buildspecific advise.
A toggle switch for bypass will work, if it is a DPDT, else any permanent (not momentary) switch will work to operate a relay that does the DPDT switching instead.

My Apologies! Updated my profile. Here is the infomation I should have posted:

I'm in the UK with Mains Voltage of 230V.

My Transformer is:
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=9530266

My IEC does have a fuse holder.

I was after info on just a Toggle On/Off switch. My confusion on the Bypass switches lies in that there are 5 wires going to the rotary and I dont understand how that translates to a toggle switch.

I see the schematic, Had a bit of a slow night last night, not sure how i missed it! I am still unsure how and where to wire up the switch.

Cheers for your support!

i THINK is like this but someone tell me if im wrong please

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dyzdvl

Back