GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually, let me re-phrase that, I've read the entire thread, again, and,
My problem is alot like bladesg's, except that there was no "answer" to
his problem. just kind of a description initially of the same problem,
if it's a cold joint, maybe somebody can point me in the right place, I've
been around the board a bit..

Just becase I looked everywhere and it wasn't what I thought,
it was because I had wired the transformer wrong.. it wasn't in series..
Why it worked earlier I'm not sure..But it definately needs the juice.

So, was those dange transformers again, same thing tripped me up
in the pultec. You'd think I'd learn..

hi, just a quick question about the ssl power switch, is it ok to use a standard lorlin rotary to switch the 240v, or is it better to put it after the transformer secondary, switching the 15/-15v? (leaving the earth unswitched)
hope that makes sense??! thanks in advance!

is it ok to use a standard lorlin rotary to switch the 240v

For mains switching, you NEED to use a switch rated for this. You can't use a lorlin like the others - you will need a "real" mains switch.

Switching after the transformer is no good idea, as the unit in effect isn't powered down when off..

Jakob E.

thanks for the extra quick reply jakob! can't express how grateful i am for everything you've done/are doing with your incredible projects, and the forum... hope that one day i'll be able to somehow pay you back, anything you ever need from the uk let me know...

back to the rotary switch - do you by any chance have a source for 240v rotary's? maplin have discontinued theirs and i can't seem to find anything in farnell/RS etc.. (unless i'm being particulary blind).. thanks again!

Hi MLM,

In the commercial Gyraf equipment I use the Lorlin rotary power switches - sourced from RS:

RS Part no. 316-800

C316800-02.jpg

..at a bit less 1£/pc at 5pcs. They work very well.

Jakob E.

I just realized that when I set my ssl to 1ms attack (pos. 3) it stops compressing. The makeup gain seems to still work, but the meter falls all the way to the left, no gain reduction.

Any ideas what to look for?

d./

Hi
I am finishing my GSSL (missing some small parts and chassis) :grin: .
I have a couple of questions:
-What cap is between two 1K?
Cap.jpg

-If I use 100uA, 200uA or 250uA what resistor I can use instead 2K?
-Find only Jamicon caps :sad: . Is it enought good for passing audio?
-I will use THAT 2181LA and suppose I dont need 47K for distortion trim?
Thanks to Lampas who send me boards and THAT 2181 :thumb:
Duka

[quote author="dukasound"]What cap is between two 1K?
Cap.jpg
[/quote]100n I believe... check the schematic to be sure.

[quote author="dukasound"]If I use 100uA, 200uA or 250uA what resistor I can use instead 2K?[/quote]For 100uA, you need to shunt the meter with a 330R... start with the 2K in the board then adjust the 2K if you want to show a different range on your meter.

[quote author="dukasound"]Find only Jamicon caps :sad: . Is it enough good for passing audio?[/quote]I used generic caps on one of my SSLs and it sounds much "darker" than the other one I built with Panasonic FCs. They both have their advantages and disadvantages I guess.

[quote author="dukasound"]I will use THAT 2181LA and suppose I dont need 47K for distortion trim?[/quote]I removed all components connected to pin 4, as stated in the THAT sheets. Some people have had success with just removing the trim pot, but I went ahead and removed 10K and 68R as well.

And to answer your PM here, I did not use heatsinks.

:thumb:

Hi Duka,

I used 100pF on that spot. I put 100n there in the beginning aswell, but then your vca's will start to act funny.

Greetz
Remco

[quote author="RemcoV"]Hi Duka,

I used 100pF on that spot. I put 100n there in the beginning aswell, but then your vca's will start to act funny.

Greetz
Remco[/quote]

What do you mean by acting funny?
I have had a 100n in there for some time and did not notice anything funny. I will change it to a 100pF though.

Regards,

Radiance

[quote author="radiance"][quote author="RemcoV"]Hi Duka,

Greetz
Remco[/quote]

What do you mean by acting funny?
I have had a 100n in there for some time and did not notice anything funny. I will change it to a 100pF though.

Regards,

Radiance[/quote]
Any other comments (who made GSSL) :?:

Well, al those 100n cap's were marked as ".1".
The cap in question did not has this ".1" marking, in fact it has no marking at all, maybe due to not enough space on the pcb...
Then there is a 100pf marking which is probably ment for two caps.

Latest posts

Back