GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ctechdx said:
Gustav, please take a look at the toggles...

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=2M1-DP1-T1-B1-M1QEvirtualkey69100000virtualkey691-2M1-DP1-T1B1M1QE

or this one...

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Carling-Technologies/2BL62-73/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsqIr59i2oRctdPPmGP7Hb2nJnFJNOYwTU%3d

You can use any DPDT on-on switch you want, and it doesn't even have to be a toggle

At this point, you have a lot of posts asking about each type of part for the GssL. Its great to ask questions to learn, and all the members here are really helpful, but it would be much easier to help you if you...

1. Gather up all the info you have.
2. Check your final mouser cart.
3. Use the search function to cover what you can (First search here covered a lot of your questions by typing in "GssL mouser BOM"
4. Put all "final questions" into a single post, and see how much we can help you with.

Hope that helps!

Gustav

ctechdx said:
ok  i´m sorry...

Nonono! I was really  just trying to nudge you to do a little more focused work/posting on this - not get you to give up. You will need this in order to finish a project like this. I also answered your question.

For example. from the list, you know you will need part x,y and z. Instead of looking at part x and posting, looking at part y and posting and then looking at part z and posting, you could cover as much as you can, then make a post on all.

Same for when you start building and trouble shooting. :)

Gustav

Hello!
I need help about the front panel. I want to paint it, but I need a Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator file to do it. Does anyone have a file like these?

I am working on a Illustrator Faceplate but it is tweaked to my needs, so I made it specifically for the modushop 1RU case, 8027B and my features etc...
If it is only about painting, what more do you need than the size of your enclosure?

I made my Illustrator file in order to print a guide for drilling the frontplate, as well as the lettering that will go to a transfer / lazertran sheet. I am not completely done yet so I won't share it for now, but I think it is really easy to use that program to make your faceplate, you can quickly try different fonts and sizes as well as logo. Is that what you are trying to achieve? The basic setup took only a few hours.

Hi,

Im new to the forums/building/electronics. This is my second build, the 1st being an Atari punk console that works great.

I'm feeling a little frustrated with the gssl, I've finished the build I got from micandmod but I can't seem to get any sound at all in either channel. I've been reading through this huge thread (its a lot to take in for a noobie like me) and Ive managed to test the voltages of all the chips by using the pcb vu 0v point for my black probe and the red on the pins of the chips/components. I seem to have the correct voltages for all the chips yet I've still got no audio. It starts up fine and the buttons/vu meter light up, seems very stable, but yet no sound. Could it be my lack of soldering skills, I've got a temp controlled iron on order so I can re-do some of the joints again. Ive checked many times and don't see any shorts or blobs of solder anywhere but the board could use a good clean (isopropyl alcohol also on order). Earth is solid and I followed the guide down to the last detail. Any ideas?

Thanks
Pablo

Hi everyone,

I just received my GSSL PCBs. It was manufactored by a company here in Brazil. I sent them the Gyraf´s Gerber files., but just now I realized the PCB is not the same version as the Gyraf PDF´s shows. My PCB is REV#7... and I see there is a REV#9 but not the gerbers files. Can I build my clone with that REV#7? Is there any considerable changes? Is there available the gerbers files for the REV#9?

Thanks,

ctechdx said:
Hi everyone,

I just received my GSSL PCBs. It was manufactored by a company here in Brazil. I sent them the Gyraf´s Gerber files., but just now I realized the PCB is not the same version as the Gyraf PDF´s shows. My PCB is REV#7... and I see there is a REV#9 but not the gerbers files. Can I build my clone with that REV#7? Is there any considerable changes? Is there available the gerbers files for the REV#9?

Thanks,

There is already Rev #12

changelog:

#7: Cap values at TL074 Pads W12=94
#8: Pad/track spacing A/R spacing
#9: Changed to THAT2181 VCA's - unity gain 27k's (component overlay changes only)
#10: 12V reg after 15V reg
#11: CRC and HPF 3K9>5K1 100K>120K +2x22R + 2x1000uF +7812 + 22u
#12: Minor change - track at 22R/-15V

weiss said:
ctechdx said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks,

There is already Rev #12

changelog:

#7: Cap values at TL074 Pads W12=94
#8: Pad/track spacing A/R spacing
#9: Changed to THAT2181 VCA's - unity gain 27k's (component overlay changes only)
#10: 12V reg after 15V reg
#11: CRC and HPF 3K9>5K1 100K>120K +2x22R + 2x1000uF +7812 + 22u
#12: Minor change - track at 22R/-15V

Thanks Weiss,

Can I build my unity with that rev7 or would be recomended to use the newest? Is there available the rev#12 gerbers files?

ctechdx said:
Can I build my unity with that rev7 or would be recomended to use the newest? Is there available the rev#12 gerbers files?

The differences are VERY small: We added a jumper for sidechain, and an extra layer of power filtering in the #9.

The #7 (or earlier) works exactly as good as this (the power filtering is because of popular demand, not really of technical reasons)

In essence, this project hasn't changed since 1992 - other than aligning some resistor values for the new THAT VCA's instead of the original DBX202/2150 types

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
ctechdx said:

The differences are VERY small: We added a jumper for sidechain, and an extra layer of power filtering in the #9.

The #7 (or earlier) works exactly as good as this (the power filtering is because of popular demand, not really of technical reasons)

In essence, this project hasn't changed since 1992 - other than aligning some resistor values for the new THAT VCA's instead of the original DBX202/2150 types

Jakob E.

Thanks a lot Jakob,

Then I go with my REV#7. I gonna use THAT2180, should I try at least the resistor update for the VCAs?

Just to know... is there available the gerber files for the new versions? Where can I find it?

Thanks once again,

one quick question please (regarding the GSSL sc ed from PCB Grinder)

In the pictures in their build guide, the 10k resistor in the sidechain section of the PCB (the one closest the the corner of the PCB) is left vacant/not installed?

Is there a reason for this? Or was this just overlooked?

Thanks for the help if anybody is willing. I appreciate it. I already searched and didn't see this come up.

I will be adding GSSL cases to my stock in a few weeks.  They are at the silk screeners now.  I have both options for the meters.  The round kind and the horizontal kind.  So, you guys will have options for what meter you want to use.

Hi Everybody!
Building a gssl with a board from Gustav, I cant seem to get signal out of the vca.
Has anyone had this problem?
I can follow signal all he way to  the 27K resistors before the input to the VCA.

WithNo IC's in but the 5534's for the input
and at the THAT socket with out the 5534's in the vca I get the following
pin 1 -    0.270v
pin 2 -    0
pin 3 -  -15v
pin 4 -    0
pin5 -    -15v
pin6 -      0
pin7 -    +15v
pin8 -      -0.588v

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!

sociald02 said:
.. I cant seem to get signal out of the vca.
good, with VCAs and opamps populated.
I can follow signal all he way to  the 27K resistors before the input to the VCA.
These VCAs are current-in/current-out devices (not voltage).
Whatever voltage you might have measured, your signal voltage is AC (maybe with a little DC offset), the supply voltages are DC (maybe with a little AC ripple) in respect to 0V reference voltage.
As Jakob already mentioned, -15V at (whatever type yours might be) VCA-pin3 is wrong, but most likely only measuring error.

Im not sure it is a measuring error, I am still geting -15V on 3 of THAT VCA, and with out any IC's in the circuit. On both VCA sockets.
Im looking for shorts... any common places?
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back