GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, yes - those gerbers were made by Mikkel Simonsen many years ago. I have no idea whether they contains everything needed - but others may have used them and got them working before.. Have you tried analyzing the file set yourself?

Edit: In the zip package there is at the very least a file designating

Drill Widths

T1  0.90mm  0.035"
T2  0.90mm  0.035"
T3  1.10mm  0.043"
T4  1.30mm  0.051"
T6  3.30mm  0.130"

...so you may want the company to try again, taking into account the whole package of files..

Jakob E.

Yes, I’ve let them know that Tools.txt contains drill sizes that could be manually input. Their last reply was not quite clear if they understood exactly what I meant as they’re in China. I was just curious if someone had run into the same problem having these made. I’ve used this board house before with no problems, but that was with gerbers I generated myself.

hi! need help with the bypass switch and the hpf switch. Is it on-on  or on-off?
Would these two work?:

HPF:
https://www.elfa.se/sv/vippstroemstaellare-on-on-1p-eledis-1a11-nf1pcse/p/13524043?q=135-24-043&page=1&origPos=1&origPageSize=50&simi=99.65&no-cache=true

BYPASS:
https://www.elfa.se/sv/vippstroemstaellare-on-on-2p-eledis-1a21-nf1stse/p/11036110?q=110-36-110&page=1&origPos=1&origPageSize=50&simi=99.65&no-cache=true

joakimkarlthomas said:
hi! need help with the bypass switch and the hpf switch. Is it on-on  or on-off?
Would these two work?:

HPF:
https://www.elfa.se/sv/vippstroemstaellare-on-on-1p-eledis-1a11-nf1pcse/p/13524043?q=135-24-043&page=1&origPos=1&origPageSize=50&simi=99.65&no-cache=true
will work (you maybe want the "Lödöron" instead of "Lödstift" version). The switch simply shorts out the hpf setting cap when closed for hpf-bypass.

BYPASS:
https://www.elfa.se/sv/vippstroemstaellare-on-on-2p-eledis-1a21-nf1stse/p/11036110?q=110-36-110&page=1&origPos=1&origPageSize=50&simi=99.65&no-cache=true
will work.

Harpo said:
will work.

Thanks! I just finished building a GSSL and it doesn't work, Was hoping it was the bypass switch that was the wrong type.
Have been looking around on the forum to know where to start troubleshooting, but Im not sure. I removed all ICs and VCAs (read somewhere that its a good starting point) and measured voltages on places where it seems like people have measure before. Now I need help to know where to start. If necessary. I can also a post a link to a recording with how the compressor sounds like right now. Low signal, strange sounding and no pots or switches works in any way.
Voltages is: (please let me know if there is anywhere else I should check voltages).

AC from the transformer: 17V

+15 marked bridge:  15V
-15 marked bridge: -15.1
+12 relay and power: 12.1

INPUT:
NE5534 : Pin 1: 0V, / Pin 4: 0V, / Pin 5: 0V, / Pin 7: 15V,  / Pin 8: 0V
NE5534: Pin 1: 0V, / Pin 4: 0V, / Pin 5: 0V, / Pin 7: 15V, / Pin 8: 0V

OUTPUT:
NE5532: Pin 4: 0 V, / Pin 8: 15 V
NE5532: Pin 4: 0V, / Pin 8: 15V

VCA RIGHT:
NE5534: Pin 1: 0V, / Pin 4: -15,01, / Pin 5: 0V
THAT2180: Pin 5: -15V, / Pin7: 15V

VCA LEFT:
NE5534: Pin 1: 0V, / Pin 4: 0V,, / Pin5: 0V, / Pin7: 15 V, /  Pin 8: 0V
THAT2180:  Pin 5: 0V, / Pin7: 15V

TL072: Pin 4: -12, Pin 8: 12 V, / Pin 7: 15V, / Pin 8: 0V
TL074: Pin 4: -12V, / Pin 11: 12V

SIDECHAIN VCA 2180: Pin 5: -7,9V, / Pin7: 12V

Thanks in advance!

I may have missed it, but I dont see you narrowing in on any symptoms. Could be as simple as missing the SC outlet on the main board PCB (should be jumped if you arent using it for a switched in cap).

joakimkarlthomas said:
+12 relay and power: 12.1

Presence of a relay implies you have a mod - remove the mod, get the basic version working, then start modding when you know the stock unit is working.

Gustav

Gustav said:
I may have missed it, but I dont see you narrowing in on any symptoms. Could be as simple as missing the SC outlet on the main board PCB (should be jumped if you arent using it for a switched in cap).

Presence of a relay implies you have a mod - remove the mod, get the basic version working, then start modding when you know the stock unit is working.

Gustav

Thanks! I found a cold solder on the bridge and now the signal is good, and no noise! Make up gain works and bypassing the make up gain also works. But there is no compression and nothing happens with the other switches. I have no mods installed.

RuudNL said:
On the OpAmps you have only (+?)15V and 0 V.
There should be +15/-15/0 V.

(-15V on pin 4 of the both 5532/5534 OpAmps)

Thanks!I have -15 and +15 on the OpAmps now. If I measured it wrong or if  the bridge fixed this I don't know.

I've been looking for tips in the thread and I can find similar issues with no compression and only the make up gain working, but I found no answer that helped. I've been looking for more bad connections on the pcbs and wirenings but can't find any more problems. But there's three things I found or was thinking may cause problems:
1. On the output ICs I measure -15V on pin 4 and +15V on pin 8, as I should. But I also have +15V on pin 1, but only on one of the output ICs and only when the ICs is installed in the sockets. I swapped the ICs and the +15V stays and the same place, now following the IC.
2. I have no meter installed. Is that necessary to have the unit working correctly?
3. At first I installed the TL074 in the wrong direction and had the unit powered up a few times before I noticed it was wrong. Can this have damaged the TL074? Can I check that in any way?

joakimkarlthomas said:
2. I have no meter installed. Is that necessary to have the unit working correctly?
3. At first I installed the TL074 in the wrong direction and had the unit powered up a few times before I noticed it was wrong. Can this have damaged the TL074? Can I check that in any way?
The (max.1mA) meter is only eye candy and not necessary for  a working gssl.
A once reverse powered opamp will not survive this abuse. Damage for sure. Same goes for the VCA's (the sidechain-VCA has to be placed with opposite orientation, compared with the audio-VCA's). The damaged TL074 might have killed the sidechain- and audio-VCA's as well by exceeding their abs.max. control voltages. Maybe you got lucky.

Hi everyone. So this is my first build ever and I'm bummed that I'm not getting the unit to turn on. The LED doesn't turn on nor does any audio signal run through it. I've attached some pictures to help you guys out.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1smcN4KQbX-MjN0jGSSMi2swl8trXlW9G

THANK YOU

DrakeConnor said:
Hi everyone. So this is my first build ever and I'm bummed that I'm not getting the unit to turn on. The LED doesn't turn on nor does any audio signal run through it. I've attached some pictures to help you guys out.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1smcN4KQbX-MjN0jGSSMi2swl8trXlW9G

THANK YOU

Im no expert in building this unit, also troubleshooting a non working one right now..
But I can see a few things. I would re-strip and re-solder the wires on the power switch. I would also check the cables on the AC input on the main board, looks like the red and orange cables are touching there. The bypass switch is also a bit messy, hard to tell but it might not be wired correctly.
Also looks like all the ICs on input and output section and VCA section are mounted in the wrong direction. I also think all three VCAs are mounted in the wrong direction as well.
Theres also a NE5532 on the input section, where it should be NE5534. 

Harpo said:
A once reverse powered opamp will not survive this abuse. Damage for sure. Same goes for the VCA's (the sidechain-VCA has to be placed with opposite orientation, compared with the audio-VCA's). The damaged TL074 might have killed the sidechain- and audio-VCA's as well by exceeding their abs.max. control voltages. Maybe you got lucky.

+1

Hopefully the TL074 took the fall and nothing else.

Harpo said:

Thanks, will get a new one and hope for the best!

Hello,

The answer to these questions are certainly above but :

Which 1U rack case do you advise ?
Which transfo ?

Thank you !

Yann

Hi all,

I'm new in DIY and I've just finished building my GSSL and it seems I have made a mistake either by choosing the wrong fuse or the wrong trafo,

Here's the thing, when I plug everything in nothing happens and the trafo seems to overheat very quickly, so I just wanted to know if I did something wrong.

Here's what I'm using

- https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/transformateurs-toriques/transformateur-torique-30va-2x15v-p-3629.html

- 1A / 250V Fuse

Here's a picture of my wiring : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aZiG0IxJgvyjKWWwM8X1Ly1xwPxUQv3K

Charly_V said:
Hi all,

I'm new in DIY and I've just finished building my GSSL and it seems I have made a mistake either by choosing the wrong fuse or the wrong trafo,

Here's the thing, when I plug everything in nothing happens and the trafo seems to overheat very quickly, so I just wanted to know if I did something wrong.

Here's what I'm using

- https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/transformateurs-toriques/transformateur-torique-30va-2x15v-p-3629.html

- 1A / 250V Fuse

Here's a picture of my wiring : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aZiG0IxJgvyjKWWwM8X1Ly1xwPxUQv3K

Take the trafo off the circuit, measure AC from side to center tap (should be abut 15VAC) and side to side (should be about 30VAC).

If that checks out, the problem is not you transformer or transformer wiring. If it doesn't, it is.

Gustav

Latest posts

Back