GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meter moving means you have signal through input amplifiers and sidechain. Good, this is hard part.

Are you sure you have NE5532's for the output opamps, not 5534's like the rest?

VCA orientation (sidechain vca is the other way around than the two audio vca's)

/Jakob E

Meter moving means you have signal through input amplifiers and sidechain. Good, this is hard part.

VCA orientation (sidechain vca is the other way around than the two audio vca's)

/Jakob E
Hello !

Yes , the 2 IC in Output are 5532's
the VCA#s are opposite direction as well. They don't have a mark on pin 1 , I oriented them regarding their bevel. like other VCA's with the dot on them

/Jakob E

Attachments

• IMG_9091.jpg
    IMG_9091.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9092.jpg
    IMG_9092.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
I think your VCAs are put in wrong. I also use the Cool Audio VCAs and as I understand the data sheet (which is very poor in terms of pin orientation) Pin 1 is on the left side if you watch them "from the front" seeing the print and the angled top. So the print of the main VCAs should be facing (left) towards the input/output section. SC VCA of course the other way.
But maybe I'm wrong with this as I also have issues with my build as it distorts really heavy. I'm currently searching for the reason of this distortion. It would be really great if anyone could confirm (or not) my assumption about the pins of the Cool Audio VCAs.

Cheers,
Marius

Good catch, Marius - that may very well be it

Take a close look at the data sheet here and check closely

https://datasheetspdf.com/mobile/786544/COOLAUDIO/V2159/1

But traditionally this would mean no sidechain signal either

Perhaps one vca in the external super-sidechain is mounted the right way around, and this is what comes up on meter?

Note that if these three vca's are are indeed oriented wrong, it sadly means that they are now broken and must be replaced.

/Jakob E.

Perhaps one vca in the external super-sidechain is mounted the right way around, and this is what comes up on meter?

Note that if these three vca's are are indeed oriented wrong, it sadly means that they are now broken and must be replaced.

/Jakob E.
ok, if I take the info from data sheet , and looking on the writing side of the VCA, left side is pin1, they are wrong way around,,,,, mahhhh,....the damn bagel :) hahahaha, it tricked me, why would they do this :) But hey, thanx to u both , also Marius. Gonna order 3 new ones, could it cause damage to other parts too ? no expert here, sorry.

/Jakob E.
So you also interpret the picture under "4. Pin Configuration" as I described it? That "V2159" means "look at the print and then Pin 1 is on the left".

ok, if I take the info from data sheet , and looking on the writing side of the VCA, left side is pin1, they are wrong way around,,,,, mahhhh,....the damn bagel :) hahahaha, it tricked me, why would they do this :) But hey, thanx to u both , also Marius. Gonna order 3 new ones, could it cause damage to other parts too ? no expert here, sorry.
Where do you order them? I got mine from PCB Grinder together with the PCB.

So you also interpret the picture under "4. Pin Configuration" as I described it? That "V2159" means "look at the print and then Pin 1 is on the left".
yes, normally I would say looking at the printed side, Pin 1 is on the left end

THAT has better specs

but coolaudio, being sloppier, may have that "sheen" that some associate with the ssl4000

Most of the sound in this unit is sidechain function, not parts

..yes - the that 2150/2180 series are also marked like this:

https://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/THAT_2181-Series_Datasheet.pdf

/Jakob E.

edit: and no, usually only the vcas themselves gets damaged by this

Last edited:
I have a very distorted sound. If I remove the main VCAs and connect pin 1 and pin 8 the distortion is gone. Everything else seems to work normal. So could damaged VCAs cause such a distorted output?

One more question: is it normal that the V- pin of the SC Vca shows about - 7.7v without the vca inserted?

Last edited:
Back