Hair-brained idea #432,789 Metal shavings and glue?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkiijam

If I filled a cavity of sorts with metal shavings (steel) and epoxy or some sort of glue, would that make a good Faraday shield or am I thinking opposite of what is needed?

How dense is the metal coverage inside the epoxy? The metal parts are probably not touching, most of them at least. It might work as some sort of shield, probably not a very effective one, unless there is a whole lot of metal in it.

filled a cavity of sorts with metal shavings... a good Faraday shield

What are you trying to shield? A Faraday shield needs to surround what you are trying to shield, so would need to be inside the cavity. I am having trouble how you could do anything practical with your circuit or device stuck in the middle of a block of conductive epoxy.

I starting thinking about that idea that you cab effectively increase the shielding factor by having layers rather than one solid piece of steel. Like the idea that 2 .125" sheets held together or slightly apart, offer better shielding than 1 piece of .250. Something to do with the fields not being able to line up or something...

Like insulating a power transformer or something.

The "cavity" idea came as I was thinking about separating two sheets of steel to gain the increase in shielding, then I was like... why don't I fill that "gap" with metal powder or filings and hold it all together with epoxy!

Make some test blobs/beads and test continuity. I would expect a tough path between diminishing conductivity and poor adhesion. There is conductive epoxy, I use for RF shielding or tape head grounding, but highly toxic(voc’s passing metals into your body) and expensive.
If density were important, then pour melted lead in the void, but it all seems like belt plus suspenders plus gaff tape to keep the pants up.
If the goal is shielding, .250 is overkill, you are better off using mumetal.
Mike

John, am I right in thinking that the chaotic strands of metal would in theory offer a better shield?

John, am I right in thinking that the chaotic strands of metal would in theory offer a better shield?
Chaotic means nothing, a continuous surface is better than whatever random or chaotic thing you have going on.

am I right in thinking that the chaotic strands of metal would in theory offer a better shield?

Better than what? Certainly not better than a continuous sheet of high conductivity metal (for electrostatic shielding) or high permittivity metal (for magnetic shielding as well).

Back