Has anyone made a snake using Tech-Flex nylon sheathing?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cable: Mogami W2932 Analog 8-Pair
Techflex: 1/8" Techflex

Shrink tube for each channel: 1/8" 3:1 Techflex Shrink Tube
Teflon tube for bare drain wire: Teflon tube (You can also use shrink instead)
Hot Knife: HKB0.00WH Hot Knife

First I determine the length of Techflex needed for each channel in the fan-out.
I've made cables with Techflex for years without one, but using a hot knife to cut the flex is ideal. You don't get fraying. If you don't have one, just make sure you put enough shrink length and use 3:1 shrink ratio so you don't get that frayed mess from the shrink slipping down. (the right size and 3:1 is the key to the shrink not slipping)
I always put 1-2" of shrink around the outer part of the multicore where the Techflex covered fan-out ends.
After that, I prep and tin the wires for XLR or whatever connector I need.

Then I always put 1/8" 3:1 shrink over the Techflex on the other end near the connector. I've never had any issue with a connector going over that. Actually, the connectors seem to get a better grip with the tube, plus if you don't have a hot knife that tube is going to keep you from getting a frayed mess.
Those red shrink pieces on the ends are labels. I just write on them with an industrial Sharpie. There are probably better fancier ways to do labels.

I like the Techflex because it seems to give those thin fanout lines a bit more protection, plus they seem to be easier to untangle with the flex than without it.

Attachments

• C106F06A-65B1-4F6E-A0C5-75B9E49582AD.JPEG
    C106F06A-65B1-4F6E-A0C5-75B9E49582AD.JPEG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

First I determine the length of Techflex needed for each channel in the fan-out.
I've made cables with Techflex for years without one, but using a hot knife to cut the flex is ideal. You don't get fraying. If you don't have one, just make sure you put enough shrink length and use 3:1 shrink ratio so you don't get that frayed mess from the shrink slipping down. (the right size and 3:1 is the key to the shrink not slipping)
I always put 1-2" of shrink around the outer part of the multicore where the Techflex covered fan-out ends.

Then I always put 1/8" 3:1 shrink over the Techflex on the other end near the connector. I've never had any issue with a connector going over that. Actually, the connectors seem to get a better grip with the tube, plus if you don't have a hot knife that tube is going to keep you from getting a frayed mess.
Those red shrink pieces on the ends are labels. I just write on them with an industrial Sharpie. There are probably better fancier ways to do labels.

I like the Techflex because it seems to give those thin fanout lines a bit more protection, plus they seem to be easier to untangle with the flex than without it.
Awesome. That's the very wire I'll be using for some D-Subs, and then the 2933 for a 12 ch. sub-snake.

How easy was it getting the individual pairs into and through the Tech Flex?

Awesome. That's the very wire I'll be using for some D-Subs, and then the 2933 for a 12 ch. sub-snake.
It works perfect for that. I'm working on 8 D-Subs right now.
How easy was it getting the individual pairs into and through the Tech Flex?
Honestly it's a pain and just takes time. If you cut the flex with a hot knife, it's a little bit harder to get the individuals through the flex, but I think it's worth it because you avoid the fraying. A little easier if it's not hot knifed. Either way, I just inch-worm the flex down the wire. I haven't discovered a faster way to do it, so if anyone has a different/better technique, please share!

It works perfect for that. I'm working on 8 D-Subs right now.

Honestly it's a pain and just takes time. If you cut the flex with a hot knife, it's a little bit harder to get the individuals through the flex, but I think it's worth it because you avoid the fraying. A little easier if it's not hot knifed. Either way, I just inch-worm the flex down the wire. I haven't discovered a faster way to do it, so if anyone has a different/better technique, please share!
The thing I saw in some videos was people using a plastic tube. Running the IJ pairs through it, and running that through the tech flex, and then pulling the tube out. I'm gonna try that.

As promised, here are photos of how our local rental company does this.

Attachments

• 0ACF66C9-557E-4F07-A906-F560721321C0.jpeg
    0ACF66C9-557E-4F07-A906-F560721321C0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • BD27BA6E-6B9B-42B3-BB13-A1605E2A5EC8.jpeg
    BD27BA6E-6B9B-42B3-BB13-A1605E2A5EC8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Made most of my bulk console/power cables using marine grade heat shrink. The glue liner not only adheres to tech flex, but stiffens the section of wire. Where stress relief was needed, I added a longer first layer of standard shrink covered with a shorter section of glue shrink to transition flexibility.

I don't use heat shrink I use Hellermann sleeves this also holds the Techflex and teflon on drain wire in place.

Where the mulitcore cable breaks outs from the main cable I use Hellermann to hold the Techflex in place. I then tie and wrap this tightly together with wax thread . I use glued heat shrink to cover this all and it has no problem sticking and combined with the wax string you will not have issues with Techflex coming loose where you break out from the main cable.

A hot knife is probably a much better method for cutting Techflex, but you can also use your soldering iron if you don't want to invest in a hot knife.

As promised, here are photos of how our local rental company does this.
Those XLR's aren't wired to Neutrik spec, should be 14mm of insulated conductor those look much longer. You probably don't want your strain relief clamping at the end of the heat shrink where the conductors break out.

Last edited:
Back