Hello from the sunny Spain…

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThumbsUp

Hello everyone from the sunny & hot Spain.
Hope the inventor of the air conditioner has his own street on every town. Until then, I will keep on racking vintage modules, repairing analogue gear and playing some guitar and drums, very bad, but that’s what it is…

Domestic air conditioning is virtually unheard of in the UK so I am very pleased we were early adopters for out bungalow a couple of years ago. :)

Cheers

ian
+1... I don't know about central air, but you should be able to find beer in the UK... I recall experimenting with how many different black and tan combinations I could come up with while visiting UK pubs traveling with my sales rep (last century). Cheers...

JR

Domestic air conditioning is virtually unheard of in the UK so I am very pleased we were early adopters for out bungalow a couple of years ago. :)

Cheers

ian
I'm jealous! My little workshop was over 31C on Monday. I bailed on Tuesday at lunchtime. I went in today at 1800 and it was 29C - hellacious

A request is in for an a/c unit...

I'm jealous! My little workshop was over 31C on Monday. I bailed on Tuesday at lunchtime. I went in today at 1800 and it was 29C - hellacious

A request is in for an a/c unit...
We now have three A/C units. Two in the bungalow and one in my workshop. The one in the workshop is made by Fujitsu I think. It's a 3KW type that can both heat and cool. It cost about £1500 installed. I was surprised how many A/C installers there were near me (Norwich).

Cheers

Ian

Better not to cool to much.

After power blackouts in Japan in 2011, they recommended 28C in summer and have sort of kept it that way since .That's quite a bit cooler than outside, but not too cool, as to catch a summer cold immediately, not to mention getting conjunctivitis (eye inflammation), headaches, sore throat.

Latest generation AC units are quite economical in power consumption and in Japan come with air drying (humidity) and cleaning (dust) options.

I don't like ACing much but wouldn't want to live without in peak summer and peak winter.

Better not to cool to much.

After power blackouts in Japan in 2011, they recommended 28C in summer and have sort of kept it that way since .That's quite a bit cooler than outside, but not too cool, as to catch a summer cold immediately, not to mention getting conjunctivitis (eye inflammation), headaches, sore throat.
That is an interesting comment. It probably explains why A/C is so rare in the UK because our mean summer temperature is around 25 degrees. The current heat wave is exceptional and fortunately short lived.
Latest generation AC units are quite economical in power consumption and in Japan come with air drying (humidity) and cleaning (dust) options.
The ones we have are very cost effective and they can heat as well as cool.
I don't like ACing much but wouldn't want to live without in peak summer and peak winter.
Just about everyone in the UK has central heating because the temperature here reaches single digits (or lower) in the winter. Loads of people go to Spain, Italy, Greece etc for their holidays but moan when it gets that hot at home.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
In most of Europe, priority has been historically been given to heating. There are still a lot of people that say AC is not worth it because it's useful only a few days a year.
They don't realize businesses are losing a lot of money because of their employees not capable of working efficiently.
Having started my professional life in recording studios, I was convinced from the start. I always had some sort of AC installed. 3 years ago I decided to have a brand new system, with the latest generation of inverter. I don't use them much for heating, since pulsed air is not as comfortable as heaters.
There's a number of people now that are hurrying to have a system installed, but there's not enough hands to install them.
One thing I don't like is how the A/C is turned full-blow in US bars, shops, malls...
An otolaryngologist in my family used to call them "pharyngitis vents".

American style A/Cing is what they did in Japan until 2011. Wasteful and very unhealthy. Constant temperature shock - indoors/outdoors/indoors etc

A simple fan (or two) helps a lot too.

Central heating only in Hokkaido. People also used to have gas heaters here for winter. But gas prices went up quite sharply about a decade ago. Much nicer warmth though, from floor to ceiling, unlike AC which is ceiling to floor.

But basically need A/C in much of Japan in summer as humidity is above 90 percent.

Cheers

ian
In Mexico City, AC is really only present in vehicles and commercial buildings because the average temperature is around 20°C, in fact, right now it is hotter than usual, between 21-24°C (70-75°F) depending on the time of day. Other states of the republic are a different story, near the border to the US the climate is hell on earth and you can find AC everywhere.

Long time ago I went to Laredo TX with my family during the summer, I had some nose issues back then and my nose suddenly started bleeding uncontrollably—ala 28 weeks later— due to the 42°C (108 F°) Texas heat, I must have lost a liter of blood and people where not too eager to get close to me.

When visiting places where heat is a real issue, I can never get used to the transition from the sweet mild temperature inside a building to the scourging heat of the streets and back to the nice temperature inside a car, and so on... Most of the time I will catch a cold or much worse. Equally annoying is continually sweating like a fat drunkard at a wedding every time I go to the beach or coastal cities.

Last edited:
I have an A/C unit above my workshop at home- it might get used twice a year at most.

In control rooms, I specify cooling mixed with fresh outdoor air, so the feel of the room is right,
and also the humidity is kept between sensible limits. High humidity screws the stereo image and dynamics,
and the whole of the upper midrange is horrible. (Selling Hifi gear is easy in winter, and tricky in high summer....)

It's the coldest, yes . Topographical reasons . Also, Japanese houses have no cellar for fuel tank and burner.

Sapporo on Hokkaido like Copenhagen. Tokyo like Granada in Southern Spain. Kyushu (Southern island) like Casablanca, maybe. And Okinawa like Southern Algeria/ Mali.

I discovered that here are mini-splits available with multiple wall units. A split system has a wall-mounted evaporator / heater / fan and an external compressor / fan

I think £1300 for a triple system is excellent value. I imagine a really good quality Mitsubishi unit would be considerably more...

A lot of these systems now come pre-gassed - just install the lines, hook everything up and the correct weight of gas is already installed. That's a great idea

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/iqool-3ms9k9k9k/tcl-iqool3ms9k9k9k-air-conditioner#!#maindesc

W
I discovered that here are mini-splits available with multiple wall units. A split system has a wall-mounted evaporator / heater / fan and an external compressor / fan

I think £1300 for a triple system is excellent value. I imagine a really good quality Mitsubishi unit would be considerably more...

A lot of these systems now come pre-gassed - just install the lines, hook everything up and the correct weight of gas is already installed. That's a great idea

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/iqool-3ms9k9k9k/tcl-iqool3ms9k9k9k-air-conditioner#!#maindesc
We have two wall units and a single external unit. They cost about £2K fitted. Our units are 3KW each. The one shown in the link does 9000BTU total which is 2.6KW so it is a little underpowered. But I think that is the trend. I can see a lot of DIY installations happening.

Cheers

Ian

We are on a heat wave in Spain for 2 weeks now with peaks over 45 degrees. The news says there are over 1.000 people died because of it (believing what it’s said on the news is another conversation), so something to get colder is almost mandatory. A pool and grown trees with good shadow is also a nice idea, but the air conditioner is cheaper.
Solar panels with no batteries, wich would work only with the sun out, would fit nicely in a DIY A/C installation.

No A/C here. If seasons defeat you, life has more than that for you :) Guys i even wore a latex catsuit while diying with temperatures above 30°, i was a torrent of sweat lol!! You have to enjoy the tough as much as the cool :)

Welcome!!

Back