Help/advice/guidance translating schematics onto a pcb

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djmiggymigz

Looking for some help getting over the initial learning curve of reading and translating a schematic onto a breadboard/blank pcb. Very specifically I'm trying to breadboard the DIYRE cloudbooster. I just bought and built the diy kit and looking at the schematic (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0698/2265/files/MB2_1.0_Schematic.pdf?v=1642446351) it seems to be simple! Already ordered what parts I don't already have.

I already know I need to learn about how parallel/series components are actually laid out. I have at least a decent understanding of the theory behind it but how it looks and is organized on a PCB is where I get lost.

How did you do it? When building your first project based solely on a schematic, what did that look like? Breadboard first? Try, try, try maybe burn a few components but eventually you get there? As a rather newbie, building something solely from the schematic is very intimidating but I gotta start somewhere! Any help/thoughts/questions are appreciated!

Also, side thought: what software do yall use to design and print custom pcb's? Maybe even just tinkering around in there would help me understand how things get laid out! I'm thinking/hoping something like blender but for PCB's exists. Googling now!

For a relatively simple circuit like the cloud lifter, your physical layout can be very similar to the schematic. You will notice that most of the components are vertical on the schematic apart from the semiconductors and a couple of capacitors. I would encourage you first to try building this circuit on Vero board which works pretty well if you layout the components as they are in the schematic.

Before you get into full blown CAD programs like Kicad I would suggest you look at Fritzing which will help you layout a Vero board design and then progress to PCB design (although, looking at the latest version, it looks like Vero board support has been dropped and replaced by protoboard support???)

Edit: Turns out Vero board or, as they call it, strip board, is still supported - phew!

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
Okay awesome thanks for the reply. I'll give that a look as well! At what point do PCB layout start to not resemble the schematic layout? Is it just a matter of how much is going on and kind of the most economic/easiest way to lay it out?

To give a little context, the goal I'm working toward is building a 312 clone from scratch (with the addition of a trim before the output similar to 1073's. I have several schematic including the original from API and they look deceivingly simple! Really not much going on considering the value of the hardware however, I need to start somewhere simpler for sure.

Latest posts

Back