GssL 20th Anniversary edition

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gustav & Isak
a bit not much exciting.....,

unfortunately actually diy is getting a little expensive for various type of units,
in addition in the used market it is not difficult to find ready-to-use units,
also in 500 shape,
at little more than the cost of the materials needed for the diy one,
saving the assembly and testing time,
.....however the most fun side,

maybe that even the diy lack of the decrease in interest in general from the younger generation
who all seem to want to be only socials influencers....,

perhaps a version in the 500 format might have more interest ?
As many people prefer the 500 format,
also because it is more comfortable to place in the operational area,
in addition to allowing to have units of different types in the same portable box,
only as well.

Thank you for your input :)

Gustav

Awesome thread!

As I've not even built the original gssl, I feel a tad unworthy of commenting on more features additions to the great one's already implemented in this anniversary edition.

I find all the mods implemented great additions to the design. I saw mentioned that the sc input hardly ever was implemented as an external input; if I built this, I'd definitely want it as compressors are used as much as "duckers" for other tracks as actual compression of input source.

Maybe implement a simple eq in the sc filter section? My Kush Tweakers have this "treble smash" mode that inserts a high end boost in the sc, making the compressor way more sensitive to hihats etc.

Modularization of the design; if the sections were on separate, but easily connectable PCBs, they would be very reusable in other designs.

500-series compatibility; I know this might be hard, but my studio lacks space more than it does dynamic processors. Having this in a 2-3 unit wide 500 series module would be very space effective as opposed to 2ru

Okay, moving way out of the boundaries of the design here now, but would it be impossible to add a 3-way crossover and mixer to use 3x of the design as a multiband vca compressor?
I know there's all sorts of problems regarding phase and possibly other factors when trying to combine three timing altering processors that work on different areas of the frequency domain; but there are hardware multiband designs out there that presumably manages (drawmer and maselec for instance)

Anyhow awesome update to a legendary diy project; I'm much more inclined to build this design than I ever was of the original. Hat's off !

Back