help with 1:1 transformer choice for cathode follower.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes sence; SRPP for its sonic signature and a CF to isolate it from the load.

I use a 6922  SRPP as an output stage with a 2:1 output transformer to drive a 600 ohm load to +26dBu. To reduce distortion to an acceptable level I use  negative feedback.

Cheers

Ian

Makes sence; SRPP for its sonic signature and a CF to isolate it from the load.

Yes exactly that Ian,
i want the current stage to be the most transparent possible and with current drive capability not to add too much character for the overall tone of preceding stages and if possible without nfb. It should be possible to have quite good results, like with some amplifiers principles from N.Pass Firstwatt range of products eg. 

For preceding stage i'm not looking for something 'transparent', in fact quite the opposite (but with subtility, GC not cathode bypassed biased to induce 2nd harmonic distortion and SRPP  both for their  sound/sonic imprint).

For absolute transparency i will do differently: differential cascoded with local feedback (UL kind for bandwith and low distortion), tube (or hybrid fet/tube for high gain, low noise and stability in time)  all the way and with less possible colored devices in the signal path (capacitors and transformers) and use of CCS in tail of differential pairs obviously.

It's the next  project i have in mind, but for now i will try to figure this single ended to floating output stage and finalise the whole thing including preceding stages.

I'll order a pair of vtb 2281 to see how they perform and in case switch to 2291 if i'm not convinced with results, and maybe lower my expectation for headroom if it can't work the way i want. And if it work probably break the bank and go for Jensen or other kind of high quality no compromise products, or ask for a custom one build to spec... I think Sowter offer this kind of possibility.

Latest posts

Back