Hi!👋

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fractalburrito

Glad to have found this place, I’m just beginning my diy journey.
I’ll probably be starting out with a Hairball rev D and then hope to maybe make an la2a! Maybe a 1073?
I love the idea of being able to put love into my own gear so it feels more personal when I use it!

I enjoy the tactile experience of hardware a lot so I’m looking forward to being able to scavenge old random electronics for their sweet knobs and switches and making gear that works as well as a new unit but looks and feels even cooler.

If anyone wants to answer a quick question: would using brass and wood for the case/enclosure present any issues sonically? It’s odd to me that such beautiful materials aren’t used at all in any gear I’ve seen. Thanks!

I think you'll like it here. I've lurked for a long time and enjoyed the discussions so much. Good to be a member. When I was teaching a few years back my students built Hairball's Lola preamp kits, which I think sound great.

Brass and wood: no benefit for most gear AFAIK (microphones aside). Those materials don't tend to be used when the emphasis is really on the internal electronic parts and sound quality over looks.

Welcome to GDIY! I'm sure a lot of folks here will agree when it comes to the tactile experience of hardware.

There's nothing to say you can't use materials like brass and wood in enclosure construction - that could look fantastic! You'd want to make sure electrostatic and magnetic shielding were taken care of when using materials like wood, perhaps a ferrous enclosure with fascias? But that's the real joy of DIY for me - making something unique, just how you want it.

Have fun, and keep us posted!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back