How good is that DIY-stuff really ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drpat said:
You guys are relentless...  I'm definitely not gonna open up that can of worms again. Sorry if you missed all of the action the first time around...

Well, seems we have to re-read ALL your previous post then right?  ;)

:D I guess so!

OK, found what he was talking about. Understand why he does not want to bring it up again.

Nevertheless, thanks drpat. I am just working on one of these boards and will take care of the issue due to your nebulous post ;D.

I'll look but i suspect that it doesn't impact
most of us or render anything unusable , and
i suppose if something is not working for you
[ i don't like this spanking myself ] that one
should use there ears and dig for a solution
[ if it's bothering you  ]
I personally have to finish a few more things , nevermind
but do appreciate the idea of getting it right , the first time

I use my DIY stuff daily, most of the time on well known local artist's records. Most people (even the "major label" guys) love the gear, most people are impressed by the fact i built it, and personally, as an engineer who is recording and mixing everyday for a living, i can say that using DIY gear get you closer to your own sound (determined by your choice of trafos and caps !!! ;D ;D ;D)

I have no problem using a couple channels of my hamptone style preamps next to the vintage Neve 8058 i use regularly. They stand extremely well, another color for sure, but they stand well.

But that's just what i think.

smallbutfine said:
:D I guess so!

OK, found what he was talking about. Understand why he does not want to bring it up again.

Nevertheless, thanks drpat. I am just working on one of these boards and will take care of the issue due to your nebulous post ;D.

I think I've got it too but not sure..
reading a thousand of posts is not an easy task..  :)

look, i wasn't going to post on this thread, but i can't believe what i'm reading.  THIS IS A FORUM BASED AROUND LEARNING ABOUT BUILDING GEAR AND RELAYING EXPERIENCE TO EACH OTHER FOR THE PURPOSE OF INCREASING OUR SKILLS AND UNDERSTANDING OF HOW/WHY ALL THIS GEAR WORKS.  for someone to hold back information that would be useful for everyone solely because someone business endeavor might suffer is ridiculous to me.  is this a DIY forum or a PCB store?  business interests should not be influencing what does and does not get discussed here.  am i off base here?  is it really worth it to allow people to spend time and money on a project that has big issues just so that someone can make a buck?

Agree 100% with previous post.
[at least if errors are really major errors]

Plus, if things remains unsaid we have:

- no possibility for a reply
- spreading fear on ALL diy projects here

HOLD ON...hold on...RightOnMusic & 1954U1 ...this is spiraling out of control..There's no info hold back here and no pcb nor schematic faults are made on purpose here.

All drpat is saying basicly: the info is there but I'm not going to search it for you (because I will not open that can of worms again)...

RightOnMusic: I suggest you do the "backreading" of drpat's post yourself so you can find out that this is no big deal at ALL!!

Its all fine..  :)
[also if my air conditioner just decided to stop working, while there are nearly 30 Celsius at 2 am]

We're talking here about Pultec EQP-1A clones 5K and 16K caps values, or am I wrong?
[btw I have already read some of drpat's posts about Pultecs.. now I'm discovering there are a lot.. all of them very informative and useful, indeed].

What I still dont understand is why the can of worms..
if the issue is the above mentioned one.. whats wrong with studying it?  ???

I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but the thread no longer exists.

It started when somebody (from here) was using a different alias to advertise some clones on another forum, using the original vintage company name and model number, with no pictures, and not disclosing that it was a clone. It looked very fishy, so I (and MANY other members here) pointed out (on the other forum) issues with the circuit in question, and why it could not possibly be what he was advertising... later to find out that it WAS indeed a clone using somebody else's circuit board.

1954U1 said:
What I still dont understand is why the can of worms..

I know this seems very vague, but the seller decided to start a thread (here) about what a nasty person I was for spoiling his "dream" of being a gear pimp. The moderators took it down because it turned into a rambling, 1 man, 10 page witch hunt (plus bonus PM's) directed at me. Hence, the "can of worms". Needless to say, I've since limited the content of my postings accordingly.

I hope that explains things well enough to put this to rest.

Hahaha, good one.
So at least two of us were on a wrong trail but found something useful to correct their schems or projects due to your interesting posts....thanks drpat.

And for sure diy gear can sound decent or even much better than that. Alot of highly rated boutique and classic stuff has same or sometimes even much inferior build and parts quality as a lot of successful builds I saw on this board.
Even if it goes to the non-clone/more original designs there are no less than great things going on here...
Say PM660/670, G7, forsell opto etc, that are by any means no less than great, thanks to all the contributing souls.
Does it sound as good as the big company stuff?
Why not? The electrons and  ears don't care about marketing legends....

Kind regards,
Martin

Latest posts

Back