How to change the decay time of a spring reverb tank?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well thats what I meant , re-gen can extend the decay and help smoothing out some of the clanginess of the spring itself .
1657676791161.png
The DS201 gives great control of the swell ,hold and decay of a reverb tank , it also means any noise from the tank is faded down in the absence of drive signal , the other bonus with the Drawmer is you get filters on the key signal allowing you to tune into the source better . The ducking function is also very usable , you can have it set so the verb only kicks in where theres space in the source material .

Last edited:
Last edited:
As said before, use a compressor/expander. I use a dbx 118 in linear mode, after the spring. This is a very unique function not found on many com/exp. Works like a charm. I even have one in front of the spring to have even more options. One big knob longer------shorter

As said before, use a compressor/expander. I use a dbx 118 in linear mode, after the spring. This is a very unique function not found on many com/exp. Works like a charm. I even have one in front of the spring to have even more options. One big knob longer------shorter
Interesting - I have a 128 (same compander as the 118) and the linear mode is really unusual, sort of "threshold-less" if I understand it correctly. Good tip, thanks. Time to experiment!

That's interesting, thanks.

Well thats what I meant , re-gen can extend the decay and help smoothing out some of the clanginess of the spring itself .
View attachment 96146
The DS201 gives great control of the swell ,hold and decay of a reverb tank , it also means any noise from the tank is faded down in the absence of drive signal , the other bonus with the Drawmer is you get filters on the key signal allowing you to tune into the source better . The ducking function is also very usable , you can have it set so the verb only kicks in where theres space in the source material .
I will check this out. Thanks!👍

Keep an eye out for a DS201 , I picked one up not so long ago for about 40 euros from a PA company doing a clearance .It still exists in the current product line up from Drawmer more than 30 years later , its a testament to the usefulness of this bit of kit.
Its a simple enough circuit , the one I have is at least 25 years old and its still going strong , the only issue you might have with an older model is that the coupling caps are axial so not so easy to find off the shelf these days . I needed to replace a few coupling caps that had bulged in the unit I have , still passed signal though .
Ive tried other units from Drawmer over the years and I was never much of a fan of their comps/lims .

Keep an eye out for a DS201 , I picked one up not so long ago for about 40 euros from a PA company doing a clearance
Is on my watch list now. This weekend I will finish my testsetup and I will check what I can do with some plugins ITB to simulate gear like that.

..on a very tangential note - I worked for quite a long time trying to vary the decay time on a plate reverb by means of having it in an airtight container, then evacuating air by a vacuum pump - air density setting reverb time. This because for some reason I felt at the time that our EMT140's were only regulating reverb time at high frequencies, almost not at all at the low.. :rolleyes:
To begin with, different gasses (He, propane, co2) were used in the container to try to vary decay times, but gave too little variation

..on a very tangential note - I worked for quite a long time trying to vary the decay time on a plate reverb by means of having it in an airtight container, then evacuating air by a vacuum pump - air density setting reverb time. This because for some reason I felt at the time that our EMT140's were only regulating reverb time at high frequencies, almost not at all at the low.. :rolleyes:
To begin with, different gasses (He, propane, co2) were used in the container to try to vary decay times, but gave too little variation
that's beautiful..

Rock maybe you could try something with a transient designer ITB?

Hi Jakob. I would love to see a picture of that. You are really a genius, you have the guts for trying the impossible.

you have the guts for trying the impossible.
That's for sure, but in this specific experimentation my basic physics knowledge tell me that gas variation density is way too small (event with factor of 10, like He/Prop) compared to the substrate density (here metal) where the sound actually travel, to damp and constrain inertia and complex transmission in all dimensions of the material.
Let say gas between 0.2 and 2, steel is about 8000, this is in the 0.0x% range
Water should be a better candidate, with different height of immersion 🙃

This is all speculation, I may be totally wrong.

Cheers
Zam

I vaguely recall reading about attempts to make a chamber (room) reverb inside a modest sized volume (box) using exotic gasses or vacuum inside. I don't think anything came of it.

JR

Rock maybe you could try something with a transient designer ITB?
Yes, that is a good question. Basically, I ask myself how much I should do ITB? This applies not only to transients and dynamics but also to EQing for the spring reverb. I'm undecided at the moment, maybe it's best to just do the pure spring in real and the rest ITB?

On the other hand, I find the idea very charming to consider the reverb as a complete instrument and to include everything you need for it.

Yes, that is a good question. Basically, I ask myself how much I should do ITB? This applies not only to transients and dynamics but also to EQing for the spring reverb. I'm undecided at the moment, maybe it's best to just do the pure spring in real and the rest ITB?

On the other hand, I find the idea very charming to consider the reverb as a complete instrument and to include everything you need for it.
it is super charming to have a box doing it all no question about it!

I think i would prefer to eq it ITB because i'll use it more as a sound enhancer than strictly as a spring reverb.. But that's my own use of it! You know better than any of us what will suit you!

Latest posts

Back