how to make an Hit-Song?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sahib said:
MartyMart said:
EG - You may hate ABBA .... but the melodies are great ... good pop writing for sure.

MM.

I'll go a bit further.

Great pop writing.  Anybody who is budding to be a pop arranger should study those songs.

I noticed something about ABBA some 20 years ago...

Can anyone tell me what common arrangement device NEVER happens in any ABBA tune (that I'm aware of...)

-As a clue, the closest it ever comes to happening is on the tune "I do, I do, I do..."

Keith

I listened to your song. It has some good ideas. You need to develop it and make it more interesting, maybe more tracks in spots.

You don't need any gear. At least not from what I heard. You need to give this song some vibe, you need to believe in it and get deep into it and come up with more. Cut down the intro or introduce a new layer every few measures. The mix is boring, bring out more of the middle "pad" tracks. Even if you have a cheap keyboard add some string pads and use artistic chord inversions to gracefully get through the chord changes.

This is a retro sounding song and that's cool. For inspiration listen to the song "Going Going Gone" by the Pet Shop Boys. Listen in deep for all of the little tracks that subtly add up to a bigger soundstage. Don't be afraid to pan stuff once you get a lot of tracks.

To an American this song is eccentric due to the singers accent. Keep the vocals dry like they are now becuase it adds a nostalgic quality.

You have a lot of work to do. It won't be a 2010 hit unless you can tie this song to a marketng campaign for say, the next iPhone lol...

Ah crap, I can hear this song in he background in a caveman Geico commercial!!

Seriously you have potential. Keep working!!

SSLtech said:

Can anyone tell me what common arrangement device NEVER happens in any ABBA tune (that I'm aware of...)

-As a clue, the closest it ever comes to happening is on the tune "I do, I do, I do..."

Keith

Answer - They don't really do "Middle 8's" in their songs !!

Also they quite often open with the Chorus of the song - or at least the melodic top line from
the Chorus  :)

MM.

SSLtech said:

Keith
I think the answer is: raising the key by a half-tone (very often paired with upping the tempo a few points).

I though that, but isn't there a key change in Super Trouper? Or did I imagine it. (not one of their best...)

SSLtech said:
sahib said:
MartyMart said:
EG - You may hate ABBA .... but the melodies are great ... good pop writing for sure.

MM.

I'll go a bit further.

Great pop writing.  Anybody who is budding to be a pop arranger should study those songs.

Keith

Well, the reality is there are very rare forms of music that does not have that. Almost all of the classical stuff have the same formula except the contemporary writers like James MacMillan. Jazz is the same, you solo around the same harmonic structure and come back home at the end.

What makes it great is how the song works and jells. It is very easy to spot a song that is very well arranged but still does not work.

Some of them have modulations, several of them have bridges.

Marty was closest.

No Abba song ever features a solo.

"I do I do..." hs an instrumental verse playes by a sax... but there's never a distinct 'solo'.

Ever.

Keith

oh i should say that my post was mentioned as a joke. please dont think that this cazy thing is my song  ;D
just wanted to share this funny floptop song. But it becomes an interesting discussion here :)

SSLtech said:
Some of them have modulations, several of them have bridges.

Marty was closest.

No Abba song ever features a solo.

"I do I do..." hs an instrumental verse playes by a sax... but there's never a distinct 'solo'.

Ever.

Keith

I can think of lots of 80's metal bands who would have been well advised to follow this example.

On the subject of common arrangement devices -

Who can name the device virtually never used by Dylan?  And who can name the album that featured the exception(s)?  (3 tracks come to mind).  It's hard to be totally comprehensive with a catalog that size - ignore the mid 80's and stick with the classics

zebra50 said:
lassoharp said:
Who can name the device virtually never used by Dylan? 
.. a tune?

(ducks quickly! ouch....)

Not even going there.  But just to be clear - I'll assume the jab was at the execution rather than the presence of actual melodies which were among the best - leave it to Joan Baez and the Rickenbacker playing guy to pretty them up.

If you'd said "pitch correction"  I'd have laughed harder.  +1

:-[
This all is a very painful and pesonal issue for many of us I believe.
Let's see what we dealing with here.
What is a hit even?
A piece of music that will be purchased/downloaded/heard/discussed by a large number of people?
Anyone who can offer a better definition is welcome.
Historically, the first ever pop hit was "The Entertainer" (if I'm not mistaken), a ragtime that sold more copies that anything else to date. Then there was Elvis Presley. Then Michael Jackson...
Now, what are the more recent examples of hits?
Unfortunately it's "Soulja Boy", Lady Gaga and Hannah Montana.
Because the target audience for hit production these days is 10-14 year olds.
So if you want to have a hit, you have to have an underage performer and arrange for him to be shown every day on Disney Channel. Music doesn't really matter, kids have simple tastes.
:'(

jackies said:
Now, what are the more recent examples of hits?
Unfortunately it's "Soulja Boy", Lady Gaga and Hannah Montana.

I don't think this comparison does justice to Lady Gaga who's been writing (IMHO great) pop songs even before her own solo career. Is it OK if we replace her for Justin Bieber?

hotbaby said:
oh i should say that my post was mentioned as a joke. please dont think that this cazy thing is my song  ;D
just wanted to share this funny floptop song. But it becomes an interesting discussion here :)

Thank God! I was hoping this was the case.

Latest posts

Back