I have two NOS K67 capsules. Now what?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkiijam

Chinese donor bodies? Gyraf's? Build something from scratch?

What should I do with these? I wanna makes some mics!

Yes, okay... how do I do that?

Just kidding but kinda.... from scratch or a good clone/donor body?
If this is your first DIY build, I’d recommend you think about keeping things simple and maybe even getting a cheap capsule to practice with. I would hate for you to accidentally damage a vintage K67 while you’re still learning.

Beyond that, if you’re building mics around capsules as nice as those, you should really go all-out - meaning you should get bodies with the proper headbasket acoustics (can be found on AliExpress), proper transformers (I’d recommend @Moby’s transformers), and good tubes (like a pair of NOS Telefunkens). Currently, no one makes direct-fit PCBs for the accurately-sized bodies, so it wouldn’t be plug-and-play.

Of course, you can build them using @poctop’s PCBs in an SYT-5 donor body, but the headbasket isn’t right and you’ll be doing those capsules a disservice (solely my opinion).

This is very interesting. It makes sense but I haven't thought about the headbasket / grill etc making a difference
There are many threads about it here. The headbasket is certainly part of the U87/U67 sound. How much a part is up for debate of course, but I have certainly heard a difference when using the same capsule in different headbaskets.

There are many threads about it here. The headbasket is certainly part of the U87/U67 sound. How much a part is up for debate of course, but I have certainly heard a difference when using the same capsule in different headbaskets.
Right. But after years of wonder, still no thread on the actual sound differences of the SYT-5 vs original… Just it’s bigger, so not right. Thanks Captain Obvious. Ha!

Right. But after years of wonder, still no thread on the actual sound differences of the SYT-5 vs original… Just it’s bigger, so not right. Thanks Captain Obvious. Ha!
That’s fair. I wonder if @kingkorg or @soliloqueen (or someone else with a good acoustic measurement setup) could test the frequency response and RT-60 of the same capsule in a U87-style headbasket vs an SYT-5 (or other, different mic).

That’s fair. I wonder if @kingkorg or @soliloqueen (or someone else with a good acoustic measurement setup) could test the frequency response and RT-60 of the same capsule in a U87-style headbasket vs an SYT-5 (or other, different mic).
No experience with SYT-5, however i know it has an issue as the circular plate at the bottom of the headbasket and ring going around it have 90° angle and create reflection that affects the response in any mic. In u87 this issue is not present.

I tried to illustrate the issue here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240330_201551.jpg
    Screenshot_20240330_201551.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 0
I see, so a diffuser is when the inner screen is lined up at 45 degree to the outside screen but a lot of cheaper mics screens have the same orientation and can create reflections.

I see, so a diffuser is when the inner screen is lined up at 45 degree to the outside screen but a lot of cheaper mics screens have the same orientation and can create reflections.
Not an expert on grille mechanical construction, but IIRC from Neumann notes if the covered area blocking the capsule is under 50% and evenly distributed it shouldn't affect the sound. So even distribution is important and wavy nature of the wire helps. The whole grille acts as a diffuser, all 3 layers.

Latest posts

Back