IJR's 2254/33609!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen that too, looks like when they started to use Belclere transformers they change most of the tants for standard electros exept as timing caps

You can order them via Farnell, just mark the Newark search, It will cost you £15.00UKP extra to get from the US.

The manual says 1N4148 will also work, the big differencies is that 1N4153 is easier to match because of lower tolerance

That`s strange that Farnell don`t stock them. Last night I went through about 30 pages of diodes (not trusting the search engine) on their CDRom.
There are hundreds of different diodes there, but not the one I`m looking for !!

Maybe I`ll have a play with some 4148`s since I have about 500 that I bought in bulk recently

Rob
Sorry - coming into this late and being lazy
How many do we need? - What application?

I have found a supplier (based in Croydon) but they seem expensive to me
standard - 12 in stock @ 50pence each
us military spec - 30 in stock @ 85pence each

It takes four/channel to form the gainelement in a 2264/2264/33609.

The manual says "SELECTED 1N4148 DIODE LOW FV"
FV = Forward Voltage?

When I used 1N4148 it took manny more to find 8 matching diodes!
1N4153 is much closer in tolerance!

check here! http://www.dialelec.com/46.html

Farnell have the 1N4153 for 1p each. Check here :

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/searchPage2.jsp?N=401&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=1n4153&Nty=1&specialorder=on

Seems like they are from Newark.

Peter

It moved from dead point??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just made some summing boxes,
was too busy to blablabla and see-what happens if I'm not there!

What do you think makes the sound of this compressor (I've never heard one)?
Is it more a signal path or a compression character thing?
I'm asking this because I'd be interested to try a cheapo version on breadboard with op-amps in place of the transformers and so on.

Do you think this could be done?

I know what a neve stage can do to the sound and I'm sure it wouldn't come even close with an op-amp but it would be interesting project anyway.

cheers,

Okko

hei Jaakko.
That's interesting. Are you going to take the expensive route with all those transformers or would you be interested in a downgraded verion (if thats even possible)?
I'd like to have something to go with my gssl since it sometimes sounds a little too much like the stuff on the radio but there's no chance I'm going to afford all those tx's.

Okko

I think that most of the character comes from the three transformers as the distortions is low without any attenuation from the diodbridge.

A strange thing is that the distorsion seems to raise when you activate the compressor sidechain, even without any attenuation.

Somehow the sidechain input transistor (compressor) affect the low signal taken from the primary of the 10468.

Ive always looked at the quality of the sound from this box as "poofy". IT will do a good lead weight hitting the floor, but has a rreally poofy edge, Ive always correlated that with the opamps used in this one, they seeem to be struggling to provide gain where its needed. I dont know if technically thats the case, but thats always what it feels like to me when I use mine.

dave

So if I breadboaded this without the diode-bridge transformers could I just put a balanced to balanced non-invertring unity-gain buffer with 6db attenuator on the front and a balanced to unbalanced buffer with gain of 2 on the output of the diode-bridge?
Would this harm the operation of the VCA somehow?

I don't fully understand the diode-bridge attenuator yet so I don't know is there some other purposes for the transformers there.

Okko

Back