IJR's 2254/33609!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="5meo-geo"]no news since august?????[/quote]

Same question here - anybody been able to finish anything ? Must be true then what IJR said, this isn't an easy project. And still... still... it's just three TXs, a diode bridge and a sidechain... :roll: ... ok, and some switches and... and...

I've read the various info, but am not sure if there were or weren't PCBs available for this one. Who k ows more ?

Thanks,

Peter

[quote author="5meo-geo"]no news since august?????[/quote]
there was a little bump and grind last year so it's not that suprising ?
I had a page in development at the Factory but it is now gone and if anyone did download it,
share it by all means but remove any references to me or the Factory.
Igor made his fellings pretty clear so I'll get out of the way.

Igor did a fine job
it is probably more 2254 and has a reqognisable BA283 on the output
... and not really the 33609
and that 's cool
:cool:
you really want both units in the collection

[quote author="Kev"][quote author="5meo-geo"]no news since august?????[/quote]
there was a little bump and grind last year so it's not that suprising ?

[/quote]
Thanks Kev for the response.
Oops, sorry, I hadn't become aware of any 'inconveniences' during my 33609-browsing here. Sorry if I had better not retriggered this thread.

Having some matched diode packages now, I started looking around for a nice circuit for them to live in. Unsurprisingly the 33609 turned up, and looking at the schematic it didn't seem to be that difficult - apart from the TXs just straightforward parts (but just lots of 'em :wink: )

But of course I shouldn't ignore the findings here of those who worked on it - obviously I'm underestimating this project.
I'd be willing to cut a few corners here & there though (the OEP-version Rafa alluded to for instance; I'm not after a perfect replica).

I had a page in development at the Factory but it is now gone and if anyone did download it,
share it by all means but remove any references to me or the Factory.
Igor made his fellings pretty clear so I'll get out of the way.
Oo, if anyone has saved it, please tell.

Igor did a fine job and it is quite 2254 ... but not quite a 33609
and that 's cool

you really want both units in the collection
OK, I should dive some more into this subject for the details on the 2254 vs 33609. IIRIC then there's also something about which 2254 version, - and oops, there we go already - I was thinking about 'a' diode-comp, but I should take care that I'm not going for too much perfection at once - or it won't ever get finished. Either a 2254 or 33609 would be fine for me - to say the least :wink:

BTW, so there were no PCBs ?

Regards,

Peter

[quote author="Rob Flinn"]I have a 90% complete one of these on the bench at the moment. As usual it's finding the time to finish it. I pretty much just need to hook up all the controls before I can start testing it.[/quote]

Congratulations ! :thumb:
Just curious, what kind of PCB did you use ? Did you make the PCB yourself ?

Regards,

Peter

I got the boards made by someone else.

The one thing with this is it is a very complicated board to hook up all the controls for despite 2 of the transformers being on the pcb there are lots of connections.

If I get a chance to move this on a bit further I will post some pics.

[quote author="Rob Flinn"]I got the boards made by someone else.

The one thing with this is it is a very complicated board to hook up all the controls for despite 2 of the transformers being on the pcb there are lots of connections.[/quote]
Call me cheap, but this circuit then looks like a nice candidate for an all-rotaries-on-board-PCB. Say with Lorlins in G-SSL/G-Pultec-style, on a board in parallel with the front panel, so with all circuitry on it. And maybe even with the TXs at the back of the PCB.
(Redesigning the PCB for this might take as long as the off-board wiring of course...)

If I get a chance to move this on a bit further I will post some pics.
:thumb:

[quote author="clintrubber"]Oops, sorry, I hadn't become aware of any 'inconveniences' during my 33609-browsing here. Sorry if I had better not retriggered this thread.[/quote]
it's all good
... and keep working on your project

the bump and grind was largely just with me ... I think
... must have been something I said
:oops:

A different approach could be to take the basic detection and gain reduction method and apply one of the DOAs and trafo arrangements found about the Lab
and use them as I/O

perhaps the front end could be as simple as a trafo and pad

[quote author="Rob Flinn"]
Say with Lorlins in G-SSL/G-Pultec-style,

Yes, but to do this as the original you need 6 switches that have more than 12 positions[/quote]
Oops right, I saw both those thresholds-switches needed more. Thanks for pointing out.
The rest seems fine for Lorlins though, and maybe with a mildly cut corner or two added SPDT-switches, nahh, ... so OK, so all Lorlin except for the two thresholds which are then off-PCB and need to be a more tasty switch.

Maybe one day... :wink:

Happy finishing. :thumb:

And thanks Kev for the added info, better understand it now.

[quote author="Kev"]A different approach could be to take the basic detection and gain reduction method and apply one of the DOAs and trafo arrangements found about the Lab
and use them as I/O

perhaps the front end could be as simple as a trafo and pad[/quote]
I was triggered by the Hi-Z stages after the diode-bridge, me likes this topology :wink:
So the (as often asked before already by others) question arose again whether the fun of this circuit was in the diode-bridge or the specific TXs etc. The audio-patch could indeed be very short. And I'm wondering, for getting just a taste of diode-compression we might not even need the limting stage for now. (Don't know about the typical use of this box, maybe people use both functions together all the time).

Note I don't want to simplify/cheapify this circuit beyond recognition, it's just that I'm trying to form an idea about whether this circuit in it's simplest form would give me a nice idea about diode-compression or that I better look elsewhere for a first taste of this kind of gain-control. (Once I like it I could start making the whole thing from scratch or adding to the simple version).

apply one of the DOAs and trafo arrangements found about the Lab
and use them as I/O
You mean 'going non-stock' starting from the output of the diff Hi-Z buffer ? Sounds interesting.

Regards,

Peter

any more news? I have enough junk laying around to build about half of a 2 channel box. I have the output txs, the ba283s and a load of parts. All i lack are the 10468s and the 31267s which I think our friends at sowter and Lundahl have covered..?

Did anyone ever have a PCB for this? I don't have the time to lay one out or I would do so..

If you have a pcb layout I can edit it to include the ba283 on the board itself which should help greatly..

[quote author="Svart"]Did anyone ever have a PCB for this? I don't have the time to lay one out or I would do so.. [/quote]
yes
but it is not for me to give away

It is for Igor to do as he likes ... drop him an email,
you never know ... :roll:

I appreciate it.

However is there one without all the print over the copper?

His circuit seems to be a WHOLE lot different than the 33609 schemo I am looking at right now... I understand that he did some changes but other than the diode bridge I'm not seeing much similar.

I would also like to re-layout the board with SMD parts and ba283 built into the pcb instead of hanging off of it.

Svart

From what I understand Igors version is like a 2254 audio path wise but with the side chain similar to a 33609. The 2254 has the sound of the nice Neve mic amps etc, but the side chain is basic. The 33609 has a sidechain with more controls.

I see what it is now. I found an old grainy schematic of the 2254.

He uses the 2254 as the I/O with the 283 card as the output amp.

EDIT: ok, i figured it out as you typed!

[quote author="fucanay"]Is this not the PCB? I found it by following the link in the first post in the thread.

EDIT: Whoa, it's suddenly gone.

Matt[/quote]

:roll: Server not paid ? Or withdrawn ?

Latest posts

Back