I'm really disappointed with 52% of californians...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know one single person who voted yes on that issue, nor did I ever see a "yes on 8" sign anywhere.  Makes me wonder.  There was a commercial that was being aired on AM radio that was completely absurd.

We have not had "legally recognized" gay marriage for very long in the UK,  3 or 4 years, so I
guess California is not quite as forward thinking just yet ..... I'm surprized though.

MM

The part that bothers me the most is that the supreme court ruled it "unconstitutional" that they not be allowed to marry, but then it gets put to a public vote later...

It doesn't affect anyone but those who are gay, so why would people be allowed to vote on this?

here is the deal... For a brief moment it was o.k. for homosexuals to get married. then they introduced prop 8 to over turn that. I know people who voted yes on prop 8 which means they wanted to ban homosexual marriage. Their reason was
in the eyes of god it is wrong.
they would then quote a bible passage to back it up. My response was how can a god who is compassionate and all loving want 2 people who love each other to not get married? They didn't like that response.  I voted no on the issue. It should not be up to me or the government who should marry and who should not.  I am surprised that it passed.

I really don't understand the (Christian) religious argument against homosexuals.

Historically, in the time of Jesus, Judea was an incredibly intolerant, caste-based society, complete with an "untouchable" underclass.  Hating this, Jesus dined with those untouchable prostitutes and lepers to make his point that god's message was to love everyone.

One passage in the old testament versus the entire message of the new testament.

- E

You're right Jesus is love.
And he created us...man and woman...
The blible talks very clearly about homosexuality.

So please dont start talking like you are god or a super duper love guru.

Peace and keep it cool..

Wouldn't expect to see any signs in Echo Park.  May be the reason the prop was passed.  41% of white voters, 57% Latino voters, 75% black voters elected to support the bill.  Although this wasn't the demographic the mormons targeted, the minority vote certainly helped their cause.  Proponents of prop 8 inundated residents with television commercials stating gay marriage would be taught in schools.  I don't recall learning of straight marriage in school??  Personally, the issue doesn't effect me in the least.  I wouldn't go out of my way to support gay marriage.  However, I would never take it away from somebody.  What if we called it Garriage?? Many people just have a problem with the letter M!

3nity said:
You're right Jesus is love.
And he created us...man and woman...
The blible talks very clearly about homosexuality.

So please dont start talking like you are god or a super duper love guru.

Peace and keep it cool..

I'm not sure what you mean by this...

Well, let's not go too far...it's not offensive that some people believe that. However; correct me if I'm wrong, but Jesus is not believed to have created anything.

What I really have a hard time wrapping my head around is the fact that people believe that marriage is still a religious act...

There are some inclusive churches out there, and I'm sure they are ostracized for it. Tolerance is preached far more than it is practiced.

I'm disappointed to.

You may be right about "most" but some definitely DO want to get married in a church.
Unsurprisingly gay folks would like their gayness to be accepted everywhere.
They want to be normal. That sometimes includes being church going upstanding citizens.

Geeze what's the big deal....

Back