Improving the Coupling Capacitors for Better Tone Sounding

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although there have been a lot of advances in capacitors, some of the silver mica caps are definitely worth looking into.
Guru Scott Wurcer investigated caps for LN stuff. I had some correspondence with him on the subject and I think he put some of this in his Linear Audio articles on condensor microphone amps.

He found Polystyrenes microphonic and Silver Micas introduced a strange noise. The best small caps were NPO/CGO ceramics. If the voltage / values / size fit, use them.

Tantalums and some of the uber Electrolytics also introduce noise at a very low level. If LN is your thing, use cheapo Aluminium Electrolytics and bias them properly.

Guru Scott Wurcer investigated caps for LN stuff. I had some correspondence with him on the subject and I think he put some of this in his Linear Audio articles on condensor microphone amps.

He found Polystyrenes microphonic and Silver Micas introduced a strange noise. The best small caps were NPO/CGO ceramics. If the voltage / values / size fit, use them.

Tantalums and some of the uber Electrolytics also introduce noise at a very low level. If LN is your thing, use cheapo Aluminium Electrolytics and bias them properly.
I never heard about the NPO/CGO ceramics capacitors at least with those names!; do you have more info about the Scott Gurcer study or investigation? Where I can find this investigation paper or notes?

Thanks a lot,
opacheco

Use only capacitors hand carved from Unobtainium and solid BS by virgins ! :)
If you send me US$100 in used bank notes, I'll send you a sample. You can just stick it to the chassis with BluTak to enjoy improved clarity and definition. No need to even solder it in.
No Confederate money please
Sorry what you talking about? I don’t understand nothing you say!

opacheco

……most friends who used tube amps with those old mustard yellow colour Mullard capacitors stated that the amp sounded best after twenty minutes warm up. Technically those caps were not so temperature stable as modern MK types, so perhaps there was some kind of drift. But I think we all probably got used to the sound after 20 minutes...
most friends who used tube amps with those old mustard yellow colour Mullard capacitors stated that the amp sounded best after twenty minutes warm up. Technically those caps were not so temperature stable as modern MK types, so perhaps there was some kind of drift. But I think we all probably got used to the sound after 20 minutes...
ok, I will considering that too!
Thanks
opacheco

Latest posts

Back