Inside Mouser - pretty neat

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using Mouser for years, and HAVE NO CLUE how they manage the trillions <g> of parts they stock, and can take an order up to 8:00 Central Time, and get it on a UPS truck that same day.

Bri

Interesting. They've only automated the very end of the package assembly.

It was less modern than I expected. I thought they would have had robot arms and cutters handling the standard SMD roll packaging, but this part is still an ordinary warehouse.

Needs more bubble wrap rolls :eek:

My last order was a little all over the place resistors with tolerance of 50% instead of 1%. Whole order was unuseable.  Everything up to then has been perfect. Great service even when ordering from here.

I've been always impressed by their short order processing time, I thought they were using some automated process to do that (In a plumbing supplies warehouse where I worked they were starting to implement that when I left) Actually more impressed seeing all the human process involved.

I can remember just one mistake in all my orders, the sent me like 1000 (one full box) 100k resistors when I just ordered one, actually it looks more like "Open the Box? That's not my f******* job" situation

Been using Mouser for years now. Number of received items has always been spot on -- but once: So I took a photo (missing caps in a sealed bag), sent it to their support, and received the outstanding parts within next to no time.

I like that they employ people for collecting and sorting -- and not some robots. Thumbs up for that! I mean I had my share of factory work a very long time ago after graduating from college and I know what it means to collect (another student job, also long time ago), so I know this is not the most exciting job, but hey it's real jobs for real people! Let's just hope that the pay is halfway decent.

Because our local stocking parts distributors don't stock anything any longer, I've been using Digikey. Their service is much the same as Mouser, parts delivered to the door the following day after placing the order.  Plus I'm in Canada, so it has to cross through border customs too.

It used to be I'd have to drive to the local wholesale and go through their parts bins, looking for a suitable substitute for what I needed.

I'd dream to have something like this for one or two day deliver, last order I placed to my usual supplier took about 40 mails plus a bunch of phone calls, about 3 weeks to get the package and about 10 extra days for a few missing parts. In the local store I can't get much more than TL072, 4N35 NE555, carbon resistors or ceramic caps, any "unusual" component I have to order to ship or wait for a friend to go close to a bigger city,  300km away... Having something like this would be really a dream, place an order and have it in few days, that would be awesome, not to think about the availability of parts in a house like this compared to my whole country!

I did waited some more automation in the system, still a lot of people working around but I definitely didn't expect a person with an elevator going up to pick a particular component, I've seen compatible system working here and heard about some others, the bigger one in Brazil, cadena o'globo, they had all their archive automated, you pick in a pc what do you want to get and the machine automatically goes, pick a box, take it down and point with a laser the one you are looking for. This last step wasn't automated because of the many different media used, you can't use the same machine to pick a DVD, a VHS, or a 16/32mm tape, or at least it would need to be a very complex one. This was quite a few years ago, I don't think they changed much on it since then, maybe they got to automate this last step. I know about some similar systems here in the country but any of those as impressive as the mentioned was.

JS

Pretty cool - I used to write warehouse software for smaller versions of that sort of operation, so it didn't look too different from what I was imagining.

Interesting that they bag all the bits and then throw them all on a common conveyor for sorting into shipments. But with a place that size there's really no way for one picker to do a complete order.

As a long-time "Mouser", I always wondered why some parts ended up in bags either stapled shut, or with the label closing up the ziplock <g>.  Guess it's that human touch!  In my stoopid brain, I guessed that a robot would do it the same every time.

Recycler boi here....I collect the non-stapled/whatever bags to try and organize my umpteem projects.  Mouser bags and the small "butter tubs" are my working trademarks! 

Bri

Bri

Back