Insurrection and running for office

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the question I ask is , does Trump have to be found guilty before people accept that his intention was to cause riots and a breakdown in law and order ?

You can't change the mind of a true believer. There is already a preponderance of evidence that many are ignoring. Being found guilty in a court of law won't change anything, it will only strengthen the true believers view that the system is out to get him.

It is a masterclass in originalist interpretation, so it will be entertaining to watch SCOTUS do their best to contort themselves into knots to wriggle out of it.

One question is which court even gets to decide this? Is this a state issue or a federal one? It's a federal amendment yet states should also have the leeway to conduct elections as they see fit.

You can't change the mind of a true believer. There is already a preponderance of evidence that many are ignoring. Being found guilty in a court of law won't change anything, it will only strengthen the true believers view that the system is out to get him.
the game at play seems to be framing ex-president Trump as evil. Then its ok to do whatever it takes, including ignoring the rules to cancel him.

Speaking of Godwin's Law, I kind of enjoyed this from Godwin himself:

https://wapo.st/3tCR3ok
I expect you did.... doc already made the reference obliquely.

JR

Last edited:
One question is which court even gets to decide this? Is this a state issue or a federal one? It's a federal amendment yet states should also have the leeway to conduct elections as they see fit.
This is interesting, in that Colorado's SC is making a statement about how the 14th amendment applies to governing state law. In theory, that is the last stop, and SCOTUS has nothing further to say. If I had to guess, SCOTUS will try to change how Colorado interpreted the definitions of either a) if the presidency is an "office under the United States", or b) what "insurrection or rebellion" means.

Speaking of Godwin's Law, I kind of enjoyed this from Godwin himself:

https://wapo.st/3tCR3ok
I agree with Godwin that the law has been used in the past mainly as hyperbole, but there is now more concern about the potential emergence of an American fascist state.
I think that attempts to remove the guy from ballots will only solidify opinions, and I can only hope that to avoid disaster the vermin will outvote the basket of deplorables.

lighting the fuse at both ends there , the rest of the world ends up fucked along with .

if you were going to prove that Jan.6 was Not an insurrection, what would your argument be?
There really isn't any counter-argument. I'm guessing SCOTUS won't address this: if anything, they'll invent some new determination that section 3 doesn't apply to the President via some invented test.

I think that attempts to remove the guy from ballots will only solidify opinions, and I can only hope that to avoid disaster the vermin will outvote the basket of deplorables.
Don't know about that. Even aside from the notion that the Constitution should be applied regardless of whom dislikes it, I can't imagine those opinions are not rock-solid already. He was already outvoted, this issue is about whether his attempts to circumvent the results should have ramifications per the 14th.

if you were going to prove that Jan.6 was Not an insurrection, what would your argument be?
While it isn't incumbent on the defense to prove a negative, I'll again note that in Colorado neither the defense nor dissenting judges disputed that January 6 plus the fake elector scheme (can't leave that out!) qualified as insurrection, as was established during trial. Theoretically that isn't even the question before SCOTUS. Theoretically...

the game at play seems to be framing ex-president Trump as evil. Then its ok to do whatever it takes, including ignoring the rules to cancel him.
The game at play on the Trump side seems to be to ignore the extensive of evidence of his miscellaneous wrongdoings and to pretend he's some kind of martyr. There's a lot of clearcut evidence against the man, and mountains of circumstantial evidence; on occasion, there are his own admissions of guilt. Obviously, that's not enough to convince Trump true believers, which is sort of sad.

The game at play on the Trump side seems to be to ignore the extensive of evidence of his miscellaneous wrongdoings and to pretend he's some kind of martyr. There's a lot of clearcut evidence against the man, and mountains of circumstantial evidence; on occasion, there are his own admissions of guilt. Obviously, that's not enough to convince Trump true believers, which is sort of sad.
Ironically your team is the one making him look like a victim, despite being a wealthy, old white businessman....

If I could read his mind like you, I would expect that he appreciates your help. ;)

JR

Back