Internal connections on replica transformers (especially for microphones), yes or no?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Internal connections?

• yes, it's easier for beginners

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

soliloqueen

GDIY Supporter
This is something that's been bouncing around in my head for a while. This is definitely an opinion poll. Is it better to create internal connections for transformers to simplify things (especially for people who are new to DIY) like AMI etc does or is it better to keep the historical leads (and colors)? Do you feel the loss of flexibility or procedure with internally connected transformers at all? Do you get kind of stressed with historically accurate leads or find them pointless? Are you ambivalent?

This is something that's been bouncing around in my head for a while. This is definitely an opinion poll. Is it better to create internal connections for transformers to simplify things (especially for people who are new to DIY) like AMI etc does or is it better to keep the historical leads (and colors)? Do you feel the loss of flexibility or procedure with internally connected transformers at all? Do you get kind of stressed with historically accurate leads or find them pointless? Are you ambivalent?
It is sometimes useful to have the internal leads on the secondary, for instance to get the phantom power. Of course, some types absolutely need the extra wires to support their use cases, such as the Bv 12 in a U-67/M269c.

It is sometimes useful to have the internal leads on the secondary, for instance to get the phantom power. Of course, some types absolutely need the extra wires to support their use cases, such as the Bv 12 in a U-67/M269c.
For sure, but I mean more the removal of wires that are not "used" in the transformer's most common original configuration either, like how the AMI does away with 4 leads on the historical bv12 that are "looped" in the original use case

Something I recently learned from CJ: having taps means you have to interrupt the windings, which adds capacitance and resistance (and cost).
If you are looking for performance, you want exactly what you need and no more.
Otherwise, go wild. People love options.

I think lower capacitance, R and cost are far preferable than the likely majority of your users to having to do additional work!

Maybe some people want to experiment with 50/200 ohm hookup. Most US Neumanns were stock with the 50 ohm strap AFAIK, plus pad in the PSU
probably not worth the hassle of extra wires though

Either you make it or buy it.
If u make, you need a good design, good equipment and parts and reliable labor (or you) to insure quality and consistency.
If you buy from a well regarded producer, you can also get some mktg cred there.

Your brand is improved vintage sonics, better consistency and contemporary mfg.
I might suggest you try what is available and see if you can offer a product that bests the sonics of most others, fitting your brand.
Even if the only clear advantage for the buyer is one stop shopping, if your brand's quality guarantee is there, I think it's a Do.
That's what I would want to buy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back