Neumann U67 Clone : D-U67 Tube Microphone Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Continuity beeps, between what and what?
Capsule lead at the front of the capsule to the tube junction and every lead that's bridged there as well as the lead connected to the switch. Meaning I believe every point seems to have a solid connection. I'm super confused!!

But i'd start considering replacing R2 60meg. If no voltage ends up on the backplate, you'll get nothing in cardioid OR omni. Really sorry it took me so long to realize...

But i'd start considering replacing R2 60meg. If no voltage ends up on the backplate, you'll get nothing in cardioid OR omni. Really sorry it took me so long to realize...
No need to apologize. I can’t begin to thank you enough and the issue isn’t even solved! I pulled the resistor but my multimeter won’t measure that high so I need to get a replacement to see if that’s what’s going on!

At least temporarily, you can replace it with something even as low as 1meg or whatever you have in your stash. It's only acting as part of an RC-filter for the DC voltage applied to the backplate.

Especially with that whole "deadbug" 3D construction, it's not unreasonable that, in years of use, vibration led to material fatigue, and one of the legs of that 60meg became fractured and disconnected (perhaps even inside the glazing).

... But then again, you still measured a consistent 150mV even "downstream" of that R2... Yeah, this is making less and less sense, by the minute...

... But even with a 1meg input impedance meter (more usual is 10meg), you still should have been getting a 0.9v reading or thereabouts, so i'd still suspect that R2. Replace it with a lower value that you have (value isn't that important), and see if anything changes.

Last edited:
So I took off and put R2 back and then reheated some joints including C1 and I'm back in business!
Not exactly sure what was wrong but I am so, so, grateful for all the help. This community is second to none.

@Khron, how can I buy you a beer?

So I took off and put R2 back and then reheated some joints including C1 and I'm back in business!
Not exactly sure what was wrong but I am so, so, grateful for all the help. This community is second to none.

@Khron, how can I buy you a beer?

There you go then, "just" a wonky solder joint - glad we managed to suss it out!

Regarding that last bit, well... I've got a whole bunch of things "in the oven", as it were. Can't say when they'll make it to sale (maybe/hopefully this year?), but stay tuned :D

Boy, what a mess... fiddling with high impedance, hi voltages circuits is always a no- no for a non expert... measuring a 10 Megaohms impedance circuit with a 20.000 ohm per volt tester is nonsense!

Finished this build up yesterday, getting signal, all patterns/pads/cuts work great, h- and b+ voltages correct etc etc, however there’s zero low end (seems to cut off around 200hz after the fundamental) which led me to believe there is either an issue with the capsule, tube (EF86 EH), or transformer wiring/hi-z switch wiring.

Today I rebuilt the switching mechanisms + capsule connections with Teflon wire and ensured their integrity (side note; what a godsend Teflon wire is, first time using). However the issue persists. I followed the attached diagram to connect the transformer, this will likely be the first thing I check after I finish transplanting the PSU to its new chassis from collective cases. I’m using what I believe is an AYM k67 (backplates have continuity) and it sounds like I potentially have phase cancellation going on in the low end maybe from the tertiaries being swapped.

Anyone who can offer any input/share advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you! And thank you Dany/community for providing the materials & info you all do. The last 7 months of learning about this stuff has been a joy.

Edit: more info

Attachments

• IMG_1966.jpeg
    IMG_1966.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 0
Back