It’s a generational thing rant.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diversity or 'white' meritocracy,
true meritocracy is obviously color blind, but these days almost everything is accused of being racist.

Funniest example recently is that camping was considered racist (camping in the woods not camping on city sidewalks). I have even heard that working out (exercising) is racist. Racism is all some people see. :rolleyes:
Westernism is being replaced by people more hungry for the basics in life .
I'm reading the chapter in Lomborg's book about world hunger. For the first time in decades we are moving backwards because of covid, and Russia interfering with Ukraine food shipments. Hopefully this is just a blip and we can get back on the trend line of feeding more people.
Houston ,we have a problem .
nice mission control space reference
its called becoming a victim of our own success.
IMO no, but social media amplifies everything both good and bad memes. Bad memes when amplified can do more damage.

JR

As humans we evolved in groups of a hundred or two for tens of thousands of years
bad memes end up in a mess ,
Now in the modern day bad memes like Follow the Kardashians hold sway over millions of impressionable kids who are duped into thinking fame ,in and of itself is a career option .

You are obviously ignorant of the nature of medical education in the USA. You might want to educate yourself before you make such embarassingly foolish statements.
Except that he's in Mexico and this forum is worldwide. But since you've brought it up...these days you'd be lucky to see an actual M.D. More and more it's Nurse Practitioners or Physician's Assistants seeing people in typical family practice settings in the US. M.D. types make more money in specialty fields, I suppose.

You are obviously ignorant of the nature of medical education in the USA. You might want to educate yourself before you make such embarassingly foolish statements.
I was being sarcastic. The nature of medical education everywhere in the world is similar. Take a pill, relax. And I wasn't referring to the US specifically. Why do you think it is always about you?

P.S. I got permanent hearing loss due to bad practice from a medical practitioner whilst in the US, so, I am not entirely oblivious to "the medical education in the USA". Something like that didn't happen to me ever in my 3rd world country, mind you....

Last edited:
I was being sarcastic.
And that's how I took it. Sarcasm - the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
The nature of medical education everywhere in the world is similar. Take a pill, relax. And I wasn't referring to the US specifically. Why do you think it is always about you?
I referred to the USA because that's what I know - not like some who think their knowledge is limitless.
P.S. I got permanent hearing loss due to bad practice from a medical practitioner whilst in the US, so, I am not entirely oblivious to "the medical education in the USA". Something like that didn't happen to me ever in my 3rd world country, mind you....
And I treated several gluteal abscesses due to botched IM penicillin injections in Mexico. Irrelevant anecdotes.

Except that he's in Mexico and this forum is worldwide. But since you've brought it up...these days you'd be lucky to see an actual M.D. More and more it's Nurse Practitioners or Physician's Assistants seeing people in typical family practice settings in the US. M.D. types make more money in specialty fields, I suppose.
That's true. And since more and more health providers are now employees, it's a lot cheaper to hire NP's and PA's rather than MD's or DO's, and they can adequately diagnose and treat a large percentage of medical conditions. Even Doctor Mom can take care of a lot.

And that's how I took it. Sarcasm - the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

I referred to the USA because that's what I know - not like some who think their knowledge is limitless.

And I treated several gluteal abscesses due to botched IM penicillin injections in Mexico. Irrelevant anecdotes.
Contempt of what? The US medical education? You took it, I didn't say it.

Botched IM penicillin injections? Sounds like something one gets in a rural area.

Still, even when grading on a curve, around 2/3 of the class fails the course. It is a disaster, really.

Moral of the story: In the future, watch out when you go to the doctor's office and make sure that your physician got his/her degree before 2019.
Contempt of what? The US medical education? You took it, I didn't say it.
Sounds like you said don't go to doctors educated after 2019 because 2/3 failed medical school - contempt of all medical education, of which USA is a part.

I am coming around due for my annual blood draw and work up. The previous clinic doctor had her nurse perform the blood draw but the new doctor has done the draws herself the last couple years (i am not sure why and didn't ask).

I kind of expect to see her again this year, it's a small clinic and small town (according to wiki we lost 100 people or 20% of our population since the last census).

I liked the former doctor but she hit the door as ACA regulations ramped up. The new doctor appears to be a real doctor (diplomas and all) but is more of the type that will write whatever script you ask for. I can work with that because I don't mind managing my own healthcare.

I'll let you know if she has been replaced with a whatever... :unsure:

JR

After moving here, I had no primary physician. I "signed on" with a large local clinic and a very nice PA was assigned to me. But it was creepy having a guy who would have been the age of a grandson (I have no offspring) poking around on me. I switched to another clinic and now a MD who would be the age of a son (if I had one) is poking around on me.

Bri

The data speaks volumes. Trust no one with your health. Seek a second or third opinion.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/19/health/diagnosis-error-study/index.html
Yes, medicine is often not clear cut, and symptoms of various conditions can mimic others or be absent entirely, so diagnosis can be difficult and prone to error, but has nothing to do with poor medical education during the pandemic. By all means get a second opinion if you have any doubts (and if your health insurance or wallet will cover it - not always the case.)

From the linked article: "'Patients should not panic or lose faith in the health care system,' the researchers wrote in the study. Overall, there’s less than a 0.1% chance of serious harms related to misdiagnosis after a health care visit."

Sounds like you said don't go to doctors educated after 2019 because 2/3 failed medical school - contempt of all medical education, of which USA is a part.
Seems like you are putting words into my mouth. First, 2/3 failed not medical school but engineering school, I was talking about my own experience as a teacher, of which 2/3 failed not only my class but of many colleagues. I am not a medical doctor, I am an engineer. I was pointing out that kids during the pandemic got a lousy education, which is why I am weary of how they are going to end in a few years, that is all. The "don't go to the doctor with a degree after 2019" was just an example, not a fact. But if that bothers you, I'll change it to "dont go to a dentist with a degree after 2019" or insert your favorite profession.

Sounds to me that you took it too personally; by any chance do you currently have a relative in medical school or something? I wasn't attacking medical education, I was attacking ALL education, the pandemic screwed the education of kids and it is not entirely their fault.

Yes, medicine is often not clear cut, and symptoms of various conditions can mimic others or be absent entirely, so diagnosis can be difficult and prone to error, but has nothing to do with poor medical education during the pandemic. By all means get a second opinion if you have any doubts (and if your health insurance or wallet will cover it - not always the case.)

From the linked article: "'Patients should not panic or lose faith in the health care system,' the researchers wrote in the study. Overall, there’s less than a 0.1% chance of serious harms related to misdiagnosis after a health care visit."
I was responding to your gross generalization and mischaracterization of what Dual said. You opened the can: "contempt of all medical education, of which USA is a part."

I don't agree that these failures have "nothing to do with medical education." I've experienced the hubris and complete lack of bedside manner that leads to misdiagnosis on more than one occasion (opthalmalogist was most recent). I've also had very good care most of the time. Like most fields of human endeavor, a piece of fancy paper signifying ability to jump through some set of flaming hoops proves little about capability in actual practice.

Exactly my thoughts. Is it any surprise that the medical industrial complex (with all of it's ad revenue) is given much more lenient press coverage?
I remember a big uproar when HAI were listed as a top 5 leading cause of death. I think there was even a rebuttal letter published in JAMA or something...
I think it's nice when people like CD can find a balance in the reality of human imperfection. It's too scary for me when there's a sense of programming coming from the establishment.
But yeah, there are even businesses all over online where you can get second opinions on image reading. Some of the stats the sites quote are pretty shocking as far as things being missed or whatever. But that could be some kind of business model.

Was watching tv or something the other day and the 2 biggest employment opportunities in the state of FL are Advent Health and Orlando Health. Third being Lockheed Martin.....
Could have been Orlando though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back