It's a boy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Onion has chronicled the event rather well from the start.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/cut-this-monster-out-of-me,30602/
http://www.theonion.com/articles/royal-baby-born,33171/
http://www.theonion.com/articles/royal-baby-already-crawling,33174/
http://www.theonion.com/articles/royal-baby-has-fathers-eyes,33216/
http://www.theonion.com/articles/royal-baby-speaks-first-words,33213/

;D

strangeandbouncy said:
. . . there goes your Knighthood, Ian . . .

I suspect that went in the 80s. The company I worked for opened a new laboratory and Prize Pillock Prince Philip came to open it. I was demonstrating the Dragon 32 home computer. Everyone else was bowing and scraping and calling him 'sir'. I could not stand the bigotry and cow towing so I just talked to him like a regular bloke. Not sure how he took it but he didn't stay long.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
strangeandbouncy said:
. . . there goes your Knighthood, Ian . . .

I suspect that went in the 80s. The company I worked for opened a new laboratory and Prize Pillock Prince Philip came to open it. I was demonstrating the Dragon 32 home computer. Everyone else was bowing and scraping and calling him 'sir'. I could not stand the bigotry and cow towing so I just talked to him like a regular bloke. Not sure how he took it but he didn't stay long.

Cheers

Ian

Good work that man!

I was demonstrating the Dragon 32 home computer.

Crikey - you must be truly old school, Ian  ;D Wasn't that what you bought if you couldn't afford a Model B? I wonder how many live on? They had one at my school. Kids couldn't wait to unplug it and plug in the Spectrum - but I think that was simply because of the variety of games.

thermionic said:
I was demonstrating the Dragon 32 home computer.

Crikey - you must be truly old school, Ian  ;D Wasn't that what you bought if you couldn't afford a Model B? I wonder how many live on? They had one at my school. Kids couldn't wait to unplug it and plug in the Spectrum - but I think that was simply because of the variety of games.

Please, no disparaging remarks about the Dragon 32. It was my first really high volume production project. I was responsible for all the hardware design and some small elements of the OS. It was the first UK home computer with a real keyboard and kept a lot of folks in Wales gainfully employed for a few years.

I have a couple of the early prototypes in my loft.

Cheers

Ian

ramshackles said:
I had to google 'dragon32'....one question; where is the screen?......

In those days, all home computers plugged into the TV. There was a composite video output as well so you could plug it into a monitor but most people in the UK either could not afford one or simply did not have one.

Cheers

Ian

No disparaging remarks intended, Ian. I was simply remarking that Sinclair obviously appreciated the importance of games in pursuit of wider adoption. The Spectrum felt like a toy in comparison to the Dragon with its rubber keypad. Alas, the whole discussion is rendered somewhat academic when you consider that even the Archimedes has gone the way of the Dodo... Obtaining backing for anything relating to manufacturing in the UK is near-impossible - proven in interviews with Apple's chief designer when asked why he left UK shores for California... Further proven when you consider the Newton was developed in conjunction with Acorn. Which brings us back to the Royals; considering the sorry state of UK manufacturing, it begs the question: what exactly is the benefit in having them?

thermionic said:
No disparaging remarks intended, Ian. I was simply remarking that Sinclair obviously appreciated the importance of games in pursuit of wider adoption. The Spectrum felt like a toy in comparison to the Dragon with its rubber keypad. Alas, the whole discussion is rendered somewhat academic when you consider that even the Archimedes has gone the way of the Dodo... Obtaining backing for anything relating to manufacturing in the UK is near-impossible - proven in interviews with Apple's chief designer when asked why he left UK shores for California... Further proven when you consider the Newton was developed in conjunction with Acorn. Which brings us back to the Royals; considering the sorry state of UK manufacturing, it begs the question: what exactly is the benefit in having them?

Tourism, culture...nice castles...
Current residences aside, there is a lot of heritage that has been left behind by royalty, which we can enjoy...

I'm not a royalist by any means. But they do have nice buildings...

ramshackles said:
thermionic said:

Tourism, culture...nice castles...
Current residences aside, there is a lot of heritage that has been left behind by royalty, which we can enjoy...

I'm not a royalist by any means. But they do have nice buildings...

Yeah. And Mr Kipling has nice cakes *

*but don't offer them to a Frenchman - he'll kill you if you do...

What did they do to earn these nice buildings btw? Is there an art to choosing one's parents carefully?

I'd be a royalist...if I didn't feel there were truth to some of the lampooning in the Onion link...

Would it be a major blow to tourism if the buildings were handed over to the National Trust?

Nice one, Kingston. The security services will be all over this site now. You'd better erase that DIY bomb thread you started  ;D

Latest posts

Back